Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
My mother lives just outside Hamilton and used to live in Vancouver. It's not unusual for her to spend a day on her own in Toronto fearlessly visiting my younger brothers and my sister, but when she comes to the States, she is every bit as uncomfortable as Bimbam's mother.

I live in a reasonably safe neighbourhood but there are some parts of my city where a bit of street smarts would be helpful. Perhaps I have a certain radar that she either doesn't have...or else hers is set way too high.
90+% of all of the TV and movies that Canadians watch is American, and a good proportion of this is crime or action-oriented: CSI, Criminal Minds, Boyz N The Hood, whatever...

Also most Canadians also watch a fair bit of American news and public affairs shows which tend to be sensationalistic and focused on crime.

Sure there is the idealized Hannah Montana, High School Musical and Cosby Show image of America as well,. but it probably does not counterbalance the violent and skewed image that they get from CSI and Dateline NBC.

Plus, the violence as portrayed in the American media, whether overplayed or not, is also what stands out the most to Canadians whereas Ozzie and Harriet, etc. seems like a more familiar reality to Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM

557 posts, read 672,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Some Canadians, like my mother, are unrealistically afraid of the American cities. When we've been in them together, she'll say things like "don't make a scene, this is America and people are crazy and have guns and you never know if you're going to antagonize a nutjob who'll just shoot you dead." I don't know if this is realistic, but I've encountered quite a few Canadians who aren't very... worldly, who are quite frightened of American cities. These were all urban Canadians as I've only ever lived in urban Canada.
Because the US is at center of global attention, there's more coverage of US crime, which results in an over exaggerated view of America.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Because the US is at center of global attention, there's more coverage of US crime, which results in an over exaggerated view of America.
That, and crime really is higher than in Canada and many citizen really do carry handguns and people are naturally less comfortable in environments which they're unfamiliar with.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
Bad things can happen also to unsuspecting people in high-end hotels. Once I had an incident at a Dallas hotel that gave me such a bad vibe that I switched hotels the same day.

Don't know how true though, the police has detained a worker in that particular hotel for questioning. He was found to have a key to enter Elisa Lam's room.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,013 times
I feel unsafe in some Toronto neighborhoods , every big city has it's problems. As for the US ..no differences for me. I feel just as safe in my Phoenix neighborhood as I do in my Calgary upscale neighborhood.

A lot of Americans have this imaginary gay liberal/happy/safe haven idea of Canada which really doesn't exist.

People get shot in Canada too.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM

557 posts, read 672,903 times
Quote:
That, and crime really is higher than in Canada and many citizen really do carry handguns and people are naturally less comfortable in environments which they're unfamiliar with.
Not necessarily, violent crime is higher in Canada, but there isn't as much global coverage, so many aren't aware.

Quote:
The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.
The most violent...

And yes, people are uncomfortable in places they aren't familiar with, but if global media is constantly telling you the "US is violent" via movies, tv, news etc, you're more likely to believe it.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
What. Okay, Canada definitely doesn't have ten times as many violent crimes as Australia, there's no way. Unless they're counted differently. Does Canada consider different things to be violent crime compared to Oz or the US?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,588 times
The US is just fine, the handguns are off putting. I haven't been nervous in American cities. I've seen as many European cities as I've seen American cities. Same rules. Look, listen, pay attention.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Quote:
What. Okay, Canada definitely doesn't have ten times as many violent crimes as Australia, there's no way. Unless they're counted differently. Does Canada consider different things to be violent crime compared to Oz or the US?
Yes, they're counted differently. I'm not sure of all of the specifics, though I do know that Canada rolls all levels of assault into our violent crime number, whereas the US only includes assaults in which someone was injured or a weapon was used. I have no idea what Australia counts, but assuming that the 92 number quoted is correct, I would suspect it's wildly different.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Not necessarily, violent crime is higher in Canada, but there isn't as much global coverage, so many aren't aware.

The most violent...

And yes, people are uncomfortable in places they aren't familiar with, but if global media is constantly telling you the "US is violent" via movies, tv, news etc, you're more likely to believe it.
Violent crime isn't higher in Canada or Britain much of that has to do with the different standards of what is considered violent crime in each country. The US is just much more stringent with that definition.

Quote:
According to the FBI, there are four crimes classified as "violent" in crime statistics: murder/non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

The list does not include burglaries, which is considered a property crime in the U.S. but a violent crime in the U.K.

In addition to murder, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault and burglary, England and Wales classify domestic violence and all sexual offenses - not just forcible rape - as violent.
Quote:
Several other crimes that are classified as violent in the U.K. include vehicle theft, purse-snatching and bicycle theft.

If guns stop violence, why does US have so many rapes, murders? - CBS Atlanta 46

Besides that whole "study" comes from the "The dailymail" a known tabloid as well, I'm surprised anybody has taken that report of theirs seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada