Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
According to environment Canada, the all-time record high for Vancouver is only 33 degrees. Hot, yes, but how often does it get above 30, anyways, if that's the all-time record high? In Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec that's only slightly hotter than what would still be a fairly normal summer day. Vancouver Island is even worse. The average high in the hottest month in places like Tofino is less than 20 degrees. Days that are hot enough to wear trunks or a bikini on the beach must be few and far between, and the water must be really cold either way. Sure, Canada has a lot of ocean beaches, but how many beaches on the ocean are swimmable and sunny for more than a short period of summer at best?
Tofino and the westcoast of Vancouver Island are not know as swimming beaches, but surfing ( with a wetsuit) type of beach.

Temperatures in Vancouver are taken at the airport. Downtown temperatures and the downtown beaches can be warmer. Inland much warmer with lakeside beaches being the warmest.

That said, if you are sunning on a windless beach and it's 30C, you fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
According to environment Canada, the all-time record high for Vancouver is only 33 degrees. Hot, yes, but how often does it get above 30, anyways, if that's the all-time record high? In Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec that's only slightly hotter than what would still be a fairly normal summer day. Vancouver Island is even worse. The average high in the hottest month in places like Tofino is less than 20 degrees. Days that are hot enough to wear trunks or a bikini on the beach must be few and far between, and the water must be really cold either way. Sure, Canada has a lot of ocean beaches, but how many beaches on the ocean are swimmable and sunny for more than a short period of summer at best?
I'm not sure what you're actually trying to show, we all know we're not in the Caribbean.

The water in the Gulf of St. Lawrence in PEI and NB is warmer than anywhere on the East Coast north of Atlantic City, NJ. It's obviously not Varadero or Cancun.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Yeah the maritimes have perfectly swimable beaches through out the summer.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Tofino and the westcoast of Vancouver Island are not know as swimming beaches, but surfing ( with a wetsuit) type of beach.

Temperatures in Vancouver are taken at the airport. Downtown temperatures and the downtown beaches can be warmer. Inland much warmer with lakeside beaches being the warmest.

That said, if you are sunning on a windless beach and it's 30C, you fry.
I'm not trying to start an argument. Sorry if it appears that way. The climate data that I looked at was for the station at Canada Place in Vancouver.
Based on the climate data that I read, the West Coast is certainly drier than Southern Ontario during the summer, but the temperatures are generally cooler. I'm not good at guessing temperatures, but 22 or so degrees doesn't seem hot enough to me to swim at a beach. I could be wrong. I suppose it's the sun that really makes you feel warm at the beach versus the temperatures themselves.
Someone posted that the Strait of Northumberland has the warmest water on the East Coast of Canada, what about for the West Coast? Are there any popular beaches for swimming, on the Pacific, North of the 49th?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to start an argument. Sorry if it appears that way. The climate data that I looked at was for the station at Canada Place in Vancouver.
Based on the climate data that I read, the West Coast is certainly drier than Southern Ontario during the summer, but the temperatures are generally cooler. I'm not good at guessing temperatures, but 22 or so degrees doesn't seem hot enough to me to swim at a beach. I could be wrong. I suppose it's the sun that really makes you feel warm at the beach versus the temperatures themselves.
Someone posted that the Strait of Northumberland has the warmest water on the East Coast of Canada, what about for the West Coast? Are there any popular beaches for swimming, on the Pacific, North of the 49th?
I didn't think you were trying to start an argument. Simply put, Vancouver and area in the summer is plenty warm enough to go to the beach and swim. Thousands do.
Sometimes by the end of August the ocean temperature is 20 C. Albeit that's a short window, but you see people swimming in the ocean from June to September.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Default Summer East Coast Road Trip

I'm taking a sabbatical next summer in 2015 and heading up to New England. While I'm up there I was thinking of heading into Atlantic Canada anywhere between 6-10 days. I'm already totally sold on Prince Edward Island and I'm definitely spending at least three days there.

For the remainder of the time I'm looking for a more rugged area with great scenery. I was toying with the idea of either Cape Breton Island/Nova Scotia, possibly Newfoundland (flying into St. John's for a few days from YHZ), or possibly Gaspé in Quebec.

I've been reading on all three places and I think I'm leaning towards Gaspé. The scenery looks amazing, two National Parks to go hiking or beachcombing (Gaspé NP & Forillon NP). I love the look of the jagged rocks and cliffs and having the option of mountains to hike up the road, plus just being in Quebec puts a different spin on things. Anyone been to Gaspé?

Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'm taking a sabbatical next summer in 2015 and heading up to New England. While I'm up there I was thinking of heading into Atlantic Canada anywhere between 6-10 days. I'm already totally sold on Prince Edward Island and I'm definitely spending at least three days there.

For the remainder of the time I'm looking for a more rugged area with great scenery. I was toying with the idea of either Cape Breton Island/Nova Scotia, possibly Newfoundland (flying into St. John's for a few days from YHZ), or possibly Gaspé in Quebec.

I've been reading on all three places and I think I'm leaning towards Gaspé. The scenery looks amazing, two National Parks to go hiking or beachcombing (Gaspé NP & Forillon NP). I love the look of the jagged rocks and cliffs and having the option of mountains to hike up the road, plus just being in Quebec puts a different spin on things. Anyone been to Gaspé?
I have. It's gorgeous.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 PM

43 posts, read 147,085 times
Hi,

I am from the Maritimes originally, but now live in BC, so I can can't comment on Ont. or lakes beaches, but as far as Pacific vs Atlantic, I much prefer the beaches in the Maritimes.

I have been to some beautiful beaches on Vancouver Island. Tofino is gorgeous.. I find the beaches in BC to be quite rugged and the water quite cold. I can only handle a dip if it's very hot.

I have been to beaches in NB, NS and PEI. The water in NB is quite warm, especially in Shediac area. I can comfortably swim in the summer months. I don't like Parlee Beach as much as Aboiteau (sandy beach) as Parlee Beach is too touristy and busy, but most of the beaches around are beautiful east coast, sandy beaches with sand dunes. There are no rocks and the water is clear.

I have been to many beaches in the Caribbean, and in my personal opinion, he most beautiful beach I've ever been to is Basin Head beach in PEI. It's beautiful. The water is a little chillier than Shediac in NB, but it's truly a stunning beach. The sand squeaks when you walk on it. It is more touristy than it used to be, so locals don't go there as much anymore, but it's still a gem in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Some of the islands around the Maritimes are stunning with few people living there year-round. Iles de la Madeleine between NB, NF and Quebec, also the Gaspe Peninsula especially Perce Rock and the area.

Then there's Campobello Island between NB and Maine (Franklin Roosevelt had his summer home there for many years; it's a museum today), and Grand Manan.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrgirl View Post
I have been to beaches in NB, NS and PEI. The water in NB is quite warm, especially in Shediac area. I can comfortably swim in the summer months. I don't like Parlee Beach as much as Aboiteau (sandy beach) as Parlee Beach is too touristy and busy, but most of the beaches around are beautiful east coast, sandy beaches with sand dunes. There are no rocks and the water is clear.

I have been to many beaches in the Caribbean, and in my personal opinion, he most beautiful beach I've ever been to is Basin Head beach in PEI. It's beautiful. The water is a little chillier than Shediac in NB, but it's truly a stunning beach. The sand squeaks when you walk on it. It is more touristy than it used to be, so locals don't go there as much anymore, but it's still a gem in my opinion.
What is the range of shoreline that sustains warmer temperatures (above 60) that are good for swimming? I heard Bay of Fundy is freezing, I located Shediac on the map and I've heard the beaches on the straight between NB and PEI are warmer ad swimmable. How about Kouchibouguac National Park? Are the beaches there swimmable there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada