Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times

Advertisements

My favorite beaches:

Greenwich Beach, PEI National Park -- Cavendish is well-known but the Greenwich area is gorgeous. The sandy beach is long, almost empty even during the summer and the water is warm.. the dunes look great too!

Here's a picture:
http://allcanadaphotos.com/_snippets...imgid=13907816

Kouchibouguac National Park, NB -- Shediac gets all the tourists but I've always kind of wondered why, I guess it's why Old Orchard Beach and Wells get all the Maine tourists. A pic:

Kouchibouguac National Park / Parc national de Kouchibouguac | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My favorite coastal areas:

Cape Breton Island (NS), les Iles-de-la-Madeleine (QC), Northeastern PEI and the Mahone Bay/Lunenburg area (NS).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
My favorite beaches:

Greenwich Beach, PEI National Park -- Cavendish is well-known but the Greenwich area is gorgeous. The sandy beach is long, almost empty even during the summer and the water is warm.. the dunes look great too!

Here's a picture:
http://allcanadaphotos.com/_snippets...imgid=13907816

Kouchibouguac National Park, NB -- Shediac gets all the tourists but I've always kind of wondered why, I guess it's why Old Orchard Beach and Wells get all the Maine tourists. A pic:

Kouchibouguac National Park / Parc national de Kouchibouguac | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My favorite coastal areas:

Cape Breton Island (NS), les Iles-de-la-Madeleine (QC), Northeastern PEI and the Mahone Bay/Lunenburg area (NS).
Added to my bucket list. Especially the beaches in Prince Edward Island. I want to go bike riding all over that island!

Prince Edward Island: Best Beaches - YouTube

Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
I have limited experience swimming in Canada but in my two trips to the Maritimes:

Blue Sea Beach, Malagash NS
Brackley Beach, PE
Beach Point, PE

were all awesome. Argyle Shore near Victoria PE was unique - very red, very warm, and nearly empty. The problem? It was ridiculously shallow, so you're bathing more than swimming.

Basin Head was very nice too, though it was cool and cloudy that day. A poster above mentioned Greenwich. Sorry I missed it - that coastline, the east part of the north shore, is pretty much the only part of PEI east of the bridge that I totally bypassed.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,914 times
I'd put Nova Scotia's south shore down as having the best beaches in Canada. It's too bad it's too cold to enjoy them most of the time!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,789 times
PEI is definitely now on my bucket list!! Ive only been to the beaches in Vancouver, nothing too exciting, the surrounding mountains are nice but the beaches get really packed and their are lot of oil ships out on the water

Old 09-27-2013, 08:34 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
It's hard to find a good beach in Canada, at least on the ocean. You can be in the hottest month of summer, and even the air is too cold to enjoy the beach, let alone the water. Sure, you can find a great beach if you enjoy walking along the coast in a windbreaker. Beautiful, sure, but not swimmable. Are there any exceptions to this rule, really?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
There's a ton of nice ones around Georgian Bay and Manitoulin Island.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It's hard to find a good beach in Canada, at least on the ocean. You can be in the hottest month of summer, and even the air is too cold to enjoy the beach, let alone the water. Sure, you can find a great beach if you enjoy walking along the coast in a windbreaker. Beautiful, sure, but not swimmable. Are there any exceptions to this rule, really?
People swim in the ocean around Vancouver. Sure it's chilly, but not frigid, at least for part of the summer
The average is only 14C but doable.
As for the air being cold, no. You can fry on a warm day at the beach in Vancouver as with many other beaches in Canada.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Nova Scotia has some nice beaches that are perfect for swimming, some are suitable for surfing too. PEI also has nice beaches.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
People swim in the ocean around Vancouver. Sure it's chilly, but not frigid, at least for part of the summer
The average is only 14C but doable.
As for the air being cold, no. You can fry on a warm day at the beach in Vancouver as with many other beaches in Canada.
According to environment Canada, the all-time record high for Vancouver is only 33 degrees. Hot, yes, but how often does it get above 30, anyways, if that's the all-time record high? In Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec that's only slightly hotter than what would still be a fairly normal summer day. Vancouver Island is even worse. The average high in the hottest month in places like Tofino is less than 20 degrees. Days that are hot enough to wear trunks or a bikini on the beach must be few and far between, and the water must be really cold either way. Sure, Canada has a lot of ocean beaches, but how many beaches on the ocean are swimmable and sunny for more than a short period of summer at best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada