Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
This situation could be remedied. Canada could invest more money into arts and culture to keep our talent here and ensure that they make a good living and reach a wider audience, but we've been too happy to sit back and let our talented people in many industries go south and get rich, and then talk about how proud we are of their achievements, when our country did very little to help them.
We're stretched too thin as it is, and I'm not keen to see the government get into subsidizing any industries, cultural industries included, any more than it already does. If Canadian artists and those obsessed with culture want to keep their talent in Canada and if they want to ensure that such talent can make a good living in Canada, while also reaching a wider audience, then these artists and cultural types would do well to produce more material that appeals to audiences outside of their little bubbles. From what I have observed of Canadian cultural types over the years, they always seem to want to produce things that are so obviously local and homegrown that they cannot be marketed easily to people outside of Canada or even people outside of their city or province in some cases. Their material also often tends to reflect the preoccupations of the cultural class and thus fails to engage a broader audience. It amazes me, then, when these folks do not seem to understand why they are unable to sell their products too easily within or without Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
This is the only "Argo" I knew while I was a child:
yep, and this one.. (Starblazers)

Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
yep, and this one.. (Starblazers)
She's a fine vessel.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
We're stretched too thin as it is, and I'm not keen to see the government get into subsidizing any industries, cultural industries included, any more than it already does. If Canadian artists and those obsessed with culture want to keep their talent in Canada and if they want to ensure that such talent can make a good living in Canada, while also reaching a wider audience, then these artists and cultural types would do well to produce more material that appeals to audiences outside of their little bubbles.
Agreed. Don Shebib's Goin' Down the Road is supposed to be some sort of Canadian classic film, but all I see is two losers in Nova Scotia who decide to try their luck in Ontario, and become losers there too. I'm not sure what the message was supposed to be, but watching it was 90 minutes or so of guys complaining about their lot in life. Where was the entertainment? How is this a classic?

There have been some popular and money-making Canadian films: Porky's comes to mind, as does Meatballs. But I'd suggest that they were popular because they appealed to their target audiences, who are more numerous than those for Goin' Down the Road. Let's face it, we probably have more horny teenagers in Canada, the US, and the rest of the world, who want to see themselves in movies than we do artsy-types who want to pity those poor Nova Scotians.

Perhaps we need to realize that English-speaking Canada is much smaller in population than the US; and so, if we want to make movies that can compete with Hollywood, we need to appeal to as broad a demographic as possible. I see no reason why we could not make good stories that do not rely on expensive special effects (thus putting them within typical Canadian film budgets), such as Music and Lyrics, August Rush, and 13 going on 30. A good story carries itself--all of the above could be planted in any Canadian city, for all anybody knew--and a good story coming out of Canada doesn't need repeated references to Yonge Street, Mounties, French, the metric system, and hockey. But it can still be Canadian.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We've all heard the line " it's only a movie " , but when it comes to movies that are " based on a true story " and the movie changes major factors in the story either for entertainment or political purposes, should there be a different explanation to the audience such as " inspired by true events, however this movie is not historically accurate" or something like that.
The reason I ask of course is because of Argo. I have no issue with anyone making a movie as long as they are honest about it. Affleck seems to be coming to this point a little too late,if at all. Titanic of course was " based on a true story" and even though some really thought the love story was true ( I know ), it was rather harmless, whereas Argo is quite political.
I have already read and know of people who believe the movie is accurate and Canada's role in the whole affair minor. Even with President Carter's statement and Ken Taylor's interviews to the contrary.
In the end does it matter ? Or is the movie a good thing since it may bring people interested in the story to look up and get the real history when they might not have before?
Meh. it won't be the first time the US rewrites history at Canada's expense. "Houston, we have a problem". Anyone remember the movie Apollo 13? If it wasn't for Canada, you'd have a bunch of dead astronauts, a fact conveniently ignored in the movie.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
There have been some great movies coming out of Canada. Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner, was excellent, with wonderful cinematography. It was written, directed and acted entirely in Inuktitut, with English subtitles. I was really impressed.
The Road to Saddle River, about an Eastern European butcher who emigrates to Canada and dreams of being a cowboy is another gem. It's quirky and really funny.
All movies aside, what Canada really excels at are documentaries. The Doc Zone, The Passionate, Eye, The Lens, etc are wonderfully done.
The six part series about WW2 called Love, Hate and Propaganda was truly exceptional.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 9,171 times
Default Argo is one reason..........

......... that I go to far fewer movies than I used to. I mean, if you can't depict recent history accurately when all the major participants are still living, how can you claim ANY credibility as a movie maker? So much dead wrong in it............... but that's what I've come to expect fr Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada