Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 32,148 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We rented a single family home in Peterborough, Ontario (1st Floor) and 2 months later, (after the renovation done at a basement) my landlord rented out the basement to a separate tenant (they are a couple). I believe that having 2 ovens (not a hot plate) at the basement and the main floor in a single family home is not legitimate for safety issue. Even my neighbor told me that she couldn't rent her basement because having 2 ovens in a single family home (her house is exactly the same layout of my rent house) is illegal. In addition, there is absolutely no sound proof installation/wall in this house and it has been on going issue with privacy. I even asked to the landlord to do something about the noise between 2 levels but all he said was there is no other way he can help with it. I guess he did not get any permissions from the city but just renovated the basement to rent it out so that he can have a double of rental income.

Is it legitimate to rent out two separate tenants (2 separate ovens) in a single family house? I really need some help on this issue from people who know about house/property laws.

I am not sure where I should go and who I should contact in order to report this issue. Please help!

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Your local city building code office will happily tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.peterborough.ca/Business/...g_Division.htm

and from the code...

UNITS - PROHIBITED LOCATIONS
No more than 50% of the floor area of a dwelling unit shall be located in the basement of a residential building unless the ceiling of such basement is at least 1.0 metres above lot grade. (By-law 91-28)

Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
I'd start looking for a new apartment. If you report an illegal apartment, and it is an illegal apartment, your landlord won't be too pleased and will try to kick you out. You rented 1 floor in a single family home 2 months ago. What did you think the landlord was going to do with the basement?

Last edited by katzpaw; 03-04-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I'd start looking for a new apartment. If you report an illegal apartment, and it is an illegal apartment, your landlord won't be too pleased and will try to kick you out. You rented 1 floor in a single family home 2 months ago. What did you think the landlord was going to do with the basement?
How in the world would the landlord know who reported it?

Most basement apartments in Ontario are illegal and will be closed if reported. It's mainly fire code violations that in many cases are unfixable.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM

Most legal basement suites require a separate entrance, and windows of a minimum size and number to allow occupants to escape in case of fire. Likely would also require individual water/power/breaker boxes as well.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM

We share the main entrance (only one) and the landlord installed (one week after I moved in) the second entrance on the end of my hallway. There is a basement door for the other tenants but the noise is really bad!! I am not too sure if there are separate water and power boxes.

If I want to report this case, who/where should I go to??

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aong33 View Post
We share the main entrance (only one) and the landlord installed (one week after I moved in) the second entrance on the end of my hallway. There is a basement door for the other tenants but the noise is really bad!! I am not too sure if there are separate water and power boxes.

If I want to report this case, who/where should I go to??

Thanks!
Your local bylaw enforcement office which is usually in city hall.
Tell them it's very important you remain anonymous!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
We rented a single family home in Peterborough, Ontario (1st Floor) and 2 months later, (after the renovation done at a basement) my landlord rented out the basement to a separate tenant (they are a couple). I believe that having 2 ovens (not a hot plate) at the basement and the main floor in a single family home is not legitimate for safety issue. Even my neighbor told me that she couldn't rent her basement because having 2 ovens in a single family home (her house is exactly the same layout of my rent house) is illegal. In addition, there is absolutely no sound proof installation/wall in this house and it has been on going issue with privacy. I even asked to the landlord to do something about the noise between 2 levels but all he said was there is no other way he can help with it. I guess he did not get any permissions from the city but just renovated the basement to rent it out so that he can have a double of rental income.
Quote:
You have the above issues, then use them to negotiate with your landlord to terminate your lease and get back your deposit in full amount.

Are you renting the whole SFH, or is your rent cheaper than the market rateÉ - that should have averted your attention to the vacant basement suite. Of course, you can go the other route to teach your landlord a lesson. You`ll still need to find a new rental place and move out. I`ve the inkling that if your landlord is to kick out the tenant in the basement, he will increase your rent.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM

Since a basic google search seems a bit of a challenge for you...

Buildingphone: 705-742-7777 x1892
e-mail: bldg@peterborough.ca

Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada