Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times

Advertisements

Anyone who as actually made the trek undoubtedly has a lot to share.

I am specifically considering doing this in a 4 WD vehicle (an SUV).

Just how bad is the flat tire situation assuming I would have multisurface or off road radials that are not cheapie retreads and would be less than half way through their expected tread life?

Any other useful info or data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
I've never driven the Dempster, but I've driven a lot of oilfield roads in Northern Alberta, BC and the NWT, which offer similar conditions.

Your tires should be fine - make sure you have a good spare though, preferably an actual matching tire and especially not a donut. It'll be a long haul to somewhere that'll patch the flat one.

What time of year are you thinking of going?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post

What time of year are you thinking of going?
I would probably go in Late July or early August (not this year, but maybe 2014 or 2015) - well past break up and yet before winter conditions really start moving in. There is still decent day length as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default Dempster Highway

I drove the Dempster several decades ago so I can only assume the surface is graded (watch out for graders approaching in your lane) gravel with some ripple, pot holes, ruts and muddy spots. I suggest buying tires with winter treads for mud traction. I also suggest replacing your shocks with Koni's as these can be adjusted anywhere you can jack up the SUV. They are pricey but worth it. During out Alaska and NWT trip I reset the shocks half way through the 5,000+ miles of dirt/gravel road. It was like installing a new suspension.

The trick to longevity on these roads is to drive slower than you can actually go. A good car with decent suspension and a moderately skilled driver can hold 55 to 70 mph (90 to 110 kph) but that is hard on the car and the driver as well as being miserable for the passengers. Driving 40 to 55 on the smooth spots is much more comfortable, safer and less tiring.

Bring a full size spare, a tire patching kit and an inflator or 12 vdc air compressor. It is a LOT of work to inflate a big tire with a hand pump. Replace the jack that comes with the SUV with a light weight floor jack from Harbor Freight or similar. A simple mechanics tool kit is also a good idea along with a repair manual for that truck. I would also recommend a personal first aid and "survival" kit that includes toilet paper.

With just a bit of preparation this will be the first of your visits to the Great Northwest Canada. Yeah, I plan to go back.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I drove the Dempster several decades ago so I can only assume the surface is graded (watch out for graders approaching in your lane) gravel with some ripple, pot holes, ruts and muddy spots. I suggest buying tires with winter treads for mud traction. I also suggest replacing your shocks with Koni's as these can be adjusted anywhere you can jack up the SUV. They are pricey but worth it. During out Alaska and NWT trip I reset the shocks half way through the 5,000+ miles of dirt/gravel road. It was like installing a new suspension.

The trick to longevity on these roads is to drive slower than you can actually go. A good car with decent suspension and a moderately skilled driver can hold 55 to 70 mph (90 to 110 kph) but that is hard on the car and the driver as well as being miserable for the passengers. Driving 40 to 55 on the smooth spots is much more comfortable, safer and less tiring.

Bring a full size spare, a tire patching kit and an inflator or 12 vdc air compressor. It is a LOT of work to inflate a big tire with a hand pump. Replace the jack that comes with the SUV with a light weight floor jack from Harbor Freight or similar. A simple mechanics tool kit is also a good idea along with a repair manual for that truck. I would also recommend a personal first aid and "survival" kit that includes toilet paper.

With just a bit of preparation this will be the first of your visits to the Great Northwest Canada. Yeah, I plan to go back.
Great advice especially avoiding fast driving. Driving over 55MPH on a road like that ... I can see how that would really increase the possibility of flats not to mention wipe outs. On a road like that I'd want to hang in there at about 45MPH (slower when it's raining / snowing). Other good tips you've given there, thanks!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
I've only driven as far as Tombstone Park. That section at least seemed exceptionally well maintained. 40-50mph consistently, and I'm pretty conservative on gravel roads. There's really no need for 4wd in summer. The extra clearance of an SUV is nice, especially for pulling off the road to camp, have lunch or whatever. If you can swing it, go the last week of August. There's a slight chance of snow, but the fall colors on the tundra are unreal.

I spend a lot of time on the remote northern gravel highways and I'm comfortable with one good spare tire, a patch kit, a little air compressor, and a couple cans of fix-a-flat as a last resort.

Have fun! Hoping to do that whole drive myself this fall. Also heading up the Dalton in a couple days for my first time in winter

Old 03-14-2013, 04:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default Gravel road frustration

I included the bit about driving relatively slowly as i am a frustrated rally driver. My first instinct when on gravel is to stand on the gas and steer a lot. That even frightens my wife (Navaguesser in Chief) let alone any strangers in the car. Besides by driving reasonably you get to see the scenery as well as the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada