Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,248,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Have you visited a maple syrup farm and made maple candy?
Sure, lots of times. The last one I visited had a petting zoo, an old-timey blacksmith and horse-drawn sleigh rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The stuff you make when you pour maple syrup on the snow.
OK, I think I would refer to that as "taffy" in English. In French it is "tire sur la neige", or literally taffy on the snow.

The hard maple candies you don't really make when you go to a sugar shack for a party and dinner. But they are for sale in the shop.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,104,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The famous Canadian chef, Martin Picard, who owns Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal opened up a high-end sugar shack in Quebec and published a cookbook that was a celebration of maple syrup, with recipes, stories and photos. It's a must-see for anyone who loves everything maple.
In the past few weeks, I caught a few of the episodes of the TV show he made about it. Can't say everything he does looks all that good but he sure is a funny and passionate guy

To answer the OP's question -- a trip to the érablière is a very common family activity in the spring all across Quebec. At some places kids get to see how syrup is made, but usually it's just a low-end, greasy meal inside, then outside for taffy on the snow. Food quality may be slowly picking up with initiatives like Picard's but on the whole, it's an experience that increasingly out-of-sync with the rest of the Quebec culinary experience (other than poutine I guess).

Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,248,412 times
Quote:
To answer the OP's question -- a trip to the érablière is a very common family activity in the spring all across Quebec. At some places kids get to see how syrup is made, but usually it's just a low-end, greasy meal inside, then outside for taffy on the snow. Food quality may be slowly picking up with initiatives like Picard's but on the whole, it's an experience that increasingly out-of-sync with the rest of the Quebec culinary experience (other than poutine I guess).
It's the quinessential Quebecois experience, and I suspect it will be around for a long, long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada