U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 06:07 PM

22,749 posts, read 13,829,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuoku View Post
You can continue to parse it, but the dramatic “a fashion trend can occasionally indeed originate somewhere other than the US” sentence is unthinking. I didn’t say other countries didn’t originate fashion trends, that would be silly, my point was that the bulk of influential fashion trends and subcultures have come from the US this century, not Europe, and I was very deliberate about explaining that point, as well. That is a point entirely contrary to Ruth’s post about “Europe” being the dominant originator of fashion and fashion trends.
It is not me doing the parsing.

Your point being the bulk of influential fashion trends originating in the U.S. this century was in no way countered or disagreed with by my post.

Further; I stated quite succinctly in my post my opinion that Canada lagged behind in that regard, so - in keeping with the title of the thread, (remember that O/P's topic question?) what exactly are you taking issue with ME to the point of requiring a response to MY post including a personal insult to Me directly?

My post suggested merely that when a trend originates elsewhere, the U.S. is quick to adopt it with Canada lagging behind. I don't see how I could have been more obviously answering the O/P's question other than to post the single one word NO to satisfy your particular obsession with this topic.

You want to argue with someone so desperately, including resorting to personal stuff in a furtherance of the old Canada vs U.S. thingy, why not confine your invective to those directly disputing your point and targeting you with same?

You're wasting bandwidth picking nits with those not disputing your point.

Moving along now.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-20-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuoku View Post
With a statement like that, it’s obvious you’re not a fashion person.

The western US has Los Angeles, San Francisco, Aspen, Portland, Seattle…Canada has, what, Vancouver and…Whistler? No one cares about their dress in western Canada relative to the fashion powerhouse of Los Angeles and environs, and that’s not even a debate, America has people that can and have to care about their dress for economic, climatic, and cultural reasons. Canada does not. “It just is” - no, lmao, it just IS a fact that Canada has a laggard fashion culture dominated by people sneaking over the border to buy cheap clothing at American big box stores.

Vancouver is a pair of LuLuLemons and a Canucks Jersey. Can you give me a prominent western Canadian fashion brand or trend or subculture that gives evidence to the idea that western Canadians “care more about their dress”? I’ll wait.

The US has international shopping and fashion destinations in its western half, Canada doesnt.

The Western half of Canada especially is dowdy and rural, functional clothing following trends of American coastal centers from a decade ago.

Canadians are less fashionable than Americans across the board. The Western US has given us tons of music, film, fashion, and subculture, what has western Canada given us? I’ll wait.

It takes a desperate, deliberately anti-American lens to claim that Canada, let alone one of the least populous and historic centers of Canada, and one of the least populous places in the continent, has people that “dress better” than a cultural Mecca and media epicenter like the Western US. Western Canada is dominated by people wearing Vans, Yankees and Bass Pro Shop caps, and graphic Tees with “Los Angeles” printed across them in decorative font. Lmao.

But yes, Calgarians and Vancouverites could absolutely teach Angelenos and San Franciscans a thing or two about fashion and “caring about their dress”. Do you hear yourself? “But West Edmonton Mall sells cowboy boots! Take that America!”

Imagine threads asking “are New Zealanders more fashionable than Australians?” or “Are Irish people more fashionable than the British?” They would be laughed at, but apparently, Americans are supposed to sit here and entertain the delusions of a country that has received every significant cultural trend it’s partaken in from the US, going back a century.

It’s a testament to the power of the anti-American inferiority complex that the world’s most significant cultural hegemon has its cultural edge feverishly undermined, denied, and insulted against a wilderness-dominated cultural tailcoater and leech with a population 1/10th of its own. Nowhere in Canada can compete with America in terms of style and fashion heritage, rural and immigrant culture overlap aside.
Whew! I thought you'd never get here. You very nearly disappointed us all. We should have known better than to doubt you.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:37 PM

415 posts, read 383,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whew! I thought you'd never get here. You very nearly disappointed us all. We should have known better than to doubt you.
Rokuoku is correct though. Just look at the delusion on display in this thread. You can take a flight to Pakistan/Wales/Burundi/Poland/ Uruguay and the hottest clothing commodities will be American fashion. It isn't even a serious debate.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Rokuoku is correct though. Just look at the delusion on display in this thread. You can take a flight to Pakistan/Wales/Burundi/Poland/ Uruguay and the hottest clothing commodities will be American fashion. It isn't even a serious debate.
Of course.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:04 PM

6,729 posts, read 8,058,213 times
I think there's a possibility that several different definitions of fashion are being conflated.

There's high fashion and for sure places like New York beat Canada. Then there's how people dress every day. Then there are regional differences. Then there's a difference between how people dress going to work versus running errands. Then there's the rural-urban divide. And then some posts seem to be talking about which country influences world fashion the most.

Speaking of fashion, the other day I switched my lined winter barn pants for a pair of ripped summer jean barn pants, and my husband asked me why I was getting dressed up.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think there's a possibility that several different definitions of fashion are being conflated.

There's high fashion and for sure places like New York beat Canada. Then there's how people dress every day. Then there are regional differences. Then there's a difference between how people dress going to work versus running errands. Then there's the rural-urban divide. And then some posts seem to be talking about which country influences world fashion the most.

Speaking of fashion, the other day I switched my lined winter barn pants for a pair of ripped summer jean barn pants, and my husband asked me why I was getting dressed up.
It certainly has been all over the map since Rokuoku resurrected it from it's 2021 slumber with his initial offering in post number 73. It also however, strayed quite a bit before that with it dwelling on obesity for a time.

Prior to that; the only post I noticed that came out directly positing that Canadians comported themselves better than Americans was from another American markjames68 way back in 2021 just before the thread went dormant. I'm certainly not seeing the supposed surmising "America was some third rate, lowly populated poverty nation that lost the culture war to Europe last century" by any Canadians as suggested by Rokuoku.

Nothing contained within this thread posted by any Canadians warrants the now repetitive rant in this and other threads about Canada being a "tailcoating leech" etc., etc..

When I go shopping with the missus she insists I change my Caterpillar cap for the John Deere one to highlight her eye colour.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:30 PM

6,729 posts, read 8,058,213 times
Quote:
It certainly has been all over the map since Rokuoku resurrected it from it's 2021 slumber with his initial offering in post number 73. It also however, strayed quite a bit before that with it dwelling on obesity for a time.

Prior to that; the only post I noticed that came out directly positing that Canadians comported themselves better than Americans was from another American markjames68 way back in 2021 just before the thread went dormant. I'm certainly not seeing the supposed surmising "America was some third rate, lowly populated poverty nation that lost the culture war to Europe last century" by any Canadians as suggested by Rokuoku.

Nothing contained within this thread posted by any Canadians warrants the now repetitive rant in this and other threads about Canada being a "tailcoating leech" etc., etc..

When I go shopping with the missus she insists I change my Caterpillar cap for the John Deere one to highlight her eye colour.
Good for your wife, haha.

I read the thread from the beginning and noticed a poster with a similar excited posting style to rokuoku, who is no longer a member...

Old 05-20-2022, 09:49 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,592,279 times
Quote:
That's easy enough. I have to get my suits, dress shirts and shoes, and ties out, now that courthouses are open. I'd never complain about having to wear a John Deere cap to court, but the judge wouldn't allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada