Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,587,357 times

Advertisements

Too hard to make generalizations between countries with so many distinct cities/regions, I think you have to look at this regionally. Generally speaking, there are more 'brands' in the US. More shopping, more variety, and lower price points so I do notice that Americans, on average, wear more branded clothes. I can at least make that broad observation so they may get an edge overall due to higher consumption levels/options and fashion centers but again, there is so much variation depending on where you are.

Montreal is only real city in Canada where you will notice a more original, forward, funky euro vibe. Vancouverites don't seem as poorly dressed as their rep, but they are still pretty casual but in a nice fashionable way. Toronto is not fashion forward like Montreal but more of a trend follower. East Coast Canada appears the most functional and least style concious.

In the US, NYC, LA, and Miami are obviously huge fashion centers that are the most trendy and influencial. Other cities are more average trend followers but there are regional variations. Regionally, you'll find more conservative or even preppy styles on the East Coast / South, and a more casual and even edgy feel out west. The Midwest looks pretty functional with the big cities like Chicago being followers of trends.

Last edited by johnathanc; 03-13-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 03:47 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,078,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I've noticed a pretty big difference in fashion between Seattle and Vancouver when I traveled over there last month. It seems Vancouverites have more European flair to thier styles, compared to Seattle where the locals mainly dressed in grungier/plainer type of way and not as stylistic as Vancouverites. But Vancouver probally doesn't represent what Canadians dress like throughout the country.

Are Canadians more fashion concious than Americans on average?
Lets compare the financial capital of Canada (Toronto) and the financial capital of the U.S. (New York). Both of these cities command the largest wages in their respective countries, and many of the same companies have large offices in their downtown cores. Do you honestly feel that people in Toronto look more trendy, fashionable or as well dressed as the people that reside in New York?

You have compared the fashion sense of those who reside in Vancouver (one of Canada's largest cities) against those who live in the "grunge" capital of the world. I suppose on that level Vancouverites dress considerably nicer than people in Seattle. However, I doubt you would find that to be the case if you made the same comparison against the people of San Francisco.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:26 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,401,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Lets compare the financial capital of Canada (Toronto) and the financial capital of the U.S. (New York). Both of these cities command the largest wages in their respective countries, and many of the same companies have large offices in their downtown cores. Do you honestly feel that people in Toronto look more trendy, fashionable or as well dressed as the people that reside in New York?

You have compared the fashion sense of those who reside in Vancouver (one of Canada's largest cities) against those who live in the "grunge" capital of the world. I suppose on that level Vancouverites dress considerably nicer than people in Seattle. However, I doubt you would find that to be the case if you made the same comparison against the people of San Francisco.
Funny you should mention San Francisco. It has a reputation among Angelenos and New Yorkers as a really frumpy city.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,587,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Funny you should mention San Francisco. It has a reputation among Angelenos and New Yorkers as a really frumpy city.
Compared to NYC and LA, SF probably is frumpy. But compared to other places, they have a 'nice casual' look and similar to Vancouver based on what I've seen. Both laid back, liberal, outdoorsy, west coast cities with large asian contingents.

Last edited by johnathanc; 03-15-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,277,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
So, you think Seattle is representative of the entire US? I suggest a trip to NYC, then cruise down to St Louis, then to Miami, and then over to LA. It'll "probally" change your mind.
Seattle is only 3 hours from Vancouver, BC in a similar climate, so there's going to be more comparison s than somewhere distant like Miami, which has a completely different climate. Just going to both Seattle and Vancouver, the differences jump at me.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM

558 posts, read 669,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
LMAO!! Where's drknoble to provide us with some statistics?

Anyway, you guys just go ahead and google images "Canadian Tuxedo"

I didn't know you embraced the culture of shunning statistics.

And according to CNN, the US is 8th in the world for best dressed ahead of Canada.

World's best-dressed nations -- and how to fit in | CNN Travel

Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 AM

11,233 posts, read 16,347,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I didn't know you embraced the culture of shunning statistics.

And according to CNN, the US is 8th in the world for best dressed ahead of Canada.

World's best-dressed nations -- and how to fit in | CNN Travel

Awesome.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,091,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
apparently, many will disagree with you then..including myself. San Francisco is not at all a fashion capital. Vancouver is actually better dressed, esp during the cold months.

//www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/1437875-best-dressed-san-francisco-vs-seattle.html

Also, back to the op, i agree that Vancouver is significantly better dressed than Seattle. Admittedly, Seattle is among the worst dressed in the US though.

However, if you compare country to country- although the US is full of slobs (Canada has less)- there is a significant number of Brooks Brothers and Brooks Brothers-Women- types that are dressed in the clean-cut preppy fashion that is basically non-existent in Canada, but of whom I would consider well-dressed in a mass market context.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,941,727 times
Canadians, on the whole, have a great deal more fashion sense than their American counterparts. They're generally more intelligent, have better taste in wine and food, view more erudite films, read more books, invest more wisely, make greater contributions to the world, are more peace-loving folks, are friendlier, more hospitable, are less prone to corruption, help out their fellow man (and woman) more, and are generally so much more praiseworthy than the "American". However, it's been scientifically proven through many research projects that their penises are only one quarter the size of the average American's.
Proud to be an American!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:33 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,471,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Canadians, on the whole, have a great deal more fashion sense than their American counterparts. They're generally more intelligent, have better taste in wine and food, view more erudite films, read more books, invest more wisely, make greater contributions to the world, are more peace-loving folks, are friendlier, more hospitable, are less prone to corruption, help out their fellow man (and woman) more, and are generally so much more praiseworthy than the "American". However, it's been scientifically proven through many research projects that their penises are only one quarter the size of the average American's.
Proud to be an American!
Come on now, I think this discussion has been quite civilized and has had little of the attitude you lampoon. I don't think there was any need for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada