Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 10:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

.....Films??? The only great film I remember seeing in Canada is Bambi meets Godzilla and a little short by the Canadian Film Board, where when anybody was having fun in Canada would shortly meet their fate when a big dump of snow fell on them. That was pretty funny.

Here is the link to the UTUBE video on Bambi meets Godzilla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-rbzcEM8A

Not sure if it is Canadian, but I first saw it in Canada. It is a "more erudite film". A bit short, but thankfully making the film longer would not work. Great movie...worth watching.....
Heh. It's not Canadian. It was created by Marv Newland when he was still living in California. He came to Canada after 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Newland

Old 01-10-2021, 11:43 PM

676 posts, read 648,242 times
I did not read the thread, but the answer is absolutely not. But that is because most of Canada dresses for the elements rather than for fashion. It's cold in wide swaths of the country, and even at its absolute very best appearance here you're looking at what... A Canada Goose parka? Moncler puffer? Bogner ski jacket? And in Vancouver, an Arc'teryx Veilance rain jacket? And the fact that Blundstones are considered a fashionable piece of kit - akin to wearing black belugas on your feet - really speaks to how desperately Canadians - even wealthy and fashion conscious ones - dress just to protect against the dour weather.

As well, critical mass of population, celebrity culture and higher wealth disparity gives the US far more of a propensity and leisure to spend more time and money on dressing frivolously and fashionably. I mean as a whole the US dresses pretty badly because the terrible dressers in ill fitting jeans, slacks and matted t shirts - nevermind the 30% obesity rate - will far outnumber those that do dress well. But the upper crust jet set crew of Manhattan/Los Angeles/Boston/Silicon Valley will usually look - with the money to afford it and the time to spend to dress well - like they belong on the world's fashion runways, easily.

For the record I think some of the best dressed of any single country are actually on the streets of Tokyo. Never have I seen such effortless cool some a wide array of backgrounds and economic classes.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:31 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Geeez Louise!

Yet another stupid thread started by an American that progresses relatively convivially along until ANOTHER American takes umbrage and gets his panties in a bind and immediately starts in with the Canada insults.

Now it's devolved to penis envy.

Resurrecting an eight year dormant thread so you can start in with this silliness?
Damn, Bru. Don't you get it?

In American eyes, we Canadians are supposed to be in awe of Americans in the United States. We're supposed to envy them; we're supposed to wish that we were them. And in the end, we need to realize that Americans are better than we are; we just don't quite get that. We're supposed to want to be American; the only thing that's stopping us is that pesky British Queen. Who won't let us go. After all, who in the world wouldn't want to be American?

Seriously, Canadians wouldn't. Justin Trudeau has his faults (what the hell was he thinking when he appeared in blackface?) but America has a failed reality TV host for a President, who cozies up to dictators (North Korea's Kim, Russia's Putin, Turkey's Erdogan), rather than side with the US's traditional allies (Canada, the UK, Australia, NZ, and so on). Given that the US has rejected us Canadians, UKers, Australians, and so on, how does the US ever expect to regain its place among the free world countries?

Mr. Biden may make amends as US President, and I hope he does. I look forward to a normalization in Canada-US relations, rather than Trump declaring Canada as some sort of "national security risk." I look forward to Mr. Biden's visit to Ottawa (for some years, US Presidents traditionally make their first foreign visit to Ottawa, Canada; a tradition that Mr. Trump did not adhere to), and welcoming him to our country. And should Mr. Biden be invited to address the Canadian Parliament, which Mr. Obama was (but which Mr. Trump was not), I will look forward to his speech in that chamber.

At this point, Mr. Trump is yesterday's news. To bring this back to the OP, I have a royal blue silk tie, and a bright red silk tie, both of which I will likely never wear again. Why? Because Trump likes such ties, and I don't want to influence a judge or jury, based on my tie.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 01-11-2021 at 01:42 AM..

Old 01-11-2021, 04:55 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
This is obviously from the same poster who keeps finding old posts which do not rank the US as best in everything. Then disappears, as I assume they are banned.

Bit sad if that is all you can find to do, Covid or not.
That was my initial reaction as well. I think I know who it is.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

In American eyes, we Canadians are supposed to be in awe of Americans in the United States. We're supposed to envy them; we're supposed to wish that we were them. And in the end, we need to realize that Americans are better than we are; we just don't quite get that. We're supposed to want to be American; the only thing that's stopping us is that pesky British Queen. Who won't let us go. After all, who in the world wouldn't want to be American?

Seriously, Canadians wouldn't. Justin Trudeau has his faults (what the hell was he thinking when he appeared in blackface?) but America has a failed reality TV host for a President, who cozies up to dictators (North Korea's Kim, Russia's Putin, Turkey's Erdogan), rather than side with the US's traditional allies (Canada, the UK, Australia, NZ, and so on). Given that the US has rejected us Canadians, UKers, Australians, and so on, how does the US ever expect to regain its place among the free world countries?

Mr. Biden may make amends as US President, and I hope he does. I look forward to a normalization in Canada-US relations, rather than Trump declaring Canada as some sort of "national security risk." I look forward to Mr. Biden's visit to Ottawa (for some years, US Presidents traditionally make their first foreign visit to Ottawa, Canada; a tradition that Mr. Trump did not adhere to), and welcoming him to our country. And should Mr. Biden be invited to address the Canadian Parliament, which Mr. Obama was (but which Mr. Trump was not), I will look forward to his speech in that chamber.

At this point, Mr. Trump is yesterday's news. To bring this back to the OP, I have a royal blue silk tie, and a bright red silk tie, both of which I will likely never wear again. Why? Because Trump likes such ties, and I don't want to influence a judge or jury, based on my tie.
Chevy; I had a red ball cap given to me years ago that I used to wear when attending Harley Rallies so my wife could more easily spot me in the throng of a denim/black leather clad crowd - guess where that sucker ended up recently?

Old 01-11-2021, 02:02 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Actually, even the whole blackface controversy seems overblown. That happened over 20 years ago. It was just a talking point used by Trudeau’s opposition , both in Canada and the US.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:06 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Heh. It's not Canadian. It was created by Marv Newland when he was still living in California. He came to Canada after 1970.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marv_Newland

Well, he must have had "Canadian" status to meet the media content rules. I saw it in 1973 in Vancouver. I got the impression the only reason it was shown was to meet the Canadian content laws, it just shows that great art is great art and it doesn't matter if it comes from immigrants.

Doesn't matter...a great movie. I still remember watching it and my reaction to great cinema when you least expect.

It was the SECOND feature, as a introduction to some worthless American political movie. I felt sorry for the people arriving late....they missed the good movie.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:19 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLhpkGVKxZE

Old 01-11-2021, 04:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Well, he must have had "Canadian" status to meet the media content rules. I saw it in 1973 in Vancouver. I got the impression the only reason it was shown was to meet the Canadian content laws, it just shows that great art is great art and it doesn't matter if it comes from immigrants.

Doesn't matter...a great movie. I still remember watching it and my reaction to great cinema when you least expect.

It was the SECOND feature, as a introduction to some worthless American political movie. I felt sorry for the people arriving late....they missed the good movie.
Cancon does not apply to movie theatres.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:52 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Cancon does not apply to movie theatres.

It wasn't a movie theater...a event produced by the University of British Columbia.

I don't know, would Canadian content laws apply??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada