Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM

9 posts, read 24,088 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Windsor in May and am in need of some advice on neighbourhoods. I want middle-class (safe and clean), but urban living - walkable, with a gym, groceries, lots of pubs and restaurants, etc. nearby. I realize this may not accurately describe any Windsor neighbourhood, so think relative to elsewhere in Windsor. What is the young/hip neighbourhood there? I'm mid-20's, male, and will be working at the university. Price range for apartment rent shouldn't be an issue: <$1k, could stretch it further but don't expect I'll need to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I can't find any neighbourhood guides online.

Last edited by pcal; 03-25-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 AM

131 posts, read 480,360 times
The gym's will be small in that part of town, but what about Old Walkerville?

Apartments for rent in Windsor Region. walkerville Condos, lofts, furnished, unfurnished rentals on Kijiji. Free Classifieds.

Great restaurants, lots of pubs, ethic groceries, and not far from Market Square:

http://www.windsormarketsquare.com

Old 03-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I should clarify, I've never been to Windsor before and am not at all familiar with it. I'll be going out mid-April to find a place and am hoping to narrow it down first. I should add that a gym is further down on the priority list - a lively walkable area is my top priority.

Is Walkerville nicer (by my description) than City Centre or the area between City Centre and the University (not sure what that area is called). I've mostly been trying to find info on those 3 areas, closer to the river in each case.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 PM

The area near the university has the advantage of a real campus and easy access to Dieppe Gardens. Starting at the end of WW II, Windsor has made a point of acquiring lands between the Ambassador Bridge and the Canadian Club plant. It is a roller blading paradise and a great walking track. From the university to downtown is an easy bike ride, but a healthy walk. What I like about Walkerville is that you have a ton of eating choice without the hassles of downtown. You have U.S. youth taking advantage of the two year younger drinking age in Windsor (19 v. 21), some homeless, and a few more hassles. Walkerville has good restaurants and what I think is a better balance.

One thing about the University District (my name) is that Huron Church Road is functionally unusable for ordinary errands and that is the main retail area near you. There are some backroad ways into area, but until the Amabassador Bridge mess is fixed. When the DRIC is finally built, you will be in paradise. Ontario is putting in 75k of bike trails where the 401 extension is going in. While the building seems to be going forward, this a huge can of worms. U.S. billionaire and Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Mouron has spent over 50 million dollars to derail this project.

If you decide for University District, you can purchase a membership to the school's atheletic facilities:

St. Denis Memberships | Campus Recreation - University of Windsor

Stu

PS: I polled my wife and she said she'd prefer downtown. She thought the rent would be more expensive, but preferred the area.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,068 times
I would say that Old Walkerville would be the best choice for relocating, it has the nicest heritage homes, great community spirit, awesome restaurants and eclectic shops. It was recently voted one of the best neighbourhoods in all of Canada. There is also a great gym and micro brewery as well.

Here's a link to the Walkerville BIA
Walkerville Business District

Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've been using Google Streetview a lot and looking around. What's the main area of activity in Walkerville? Unless I'm missing it I got the feeling it wasn't all that dense. Right now I'm leaning towards City Centre, in particular the North-West edge of downtown, but I'll probably fly out the week after next and drive around.

When looking at apartments online is it safe to assume they have AC there? I'm not seeing that specified in any postings and I really can't stand the heat.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcal View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I've been using Google Streetview a lot and looking around. What's the main area of activity in Walkerville? Unless I'm missing it I got the feeling it wasn't all that dense. Right now I'm leaning towards City Centre, in particular the North-West edge of downtown, but I'll probably fly out the week after next and drive around.
Well, Walkerville kind of has two areas of activity, but yeah, it isn't very dense. Wyandotte Street on it's northern border, and Ottawa Street on it's south are where all the bars (more like pubs actually) and shops are, plus there is the market at Walker and Ottawa streets. In that intersection alone, you'll find almost everything you need to get by: A market with fresh local food, a drug store, a liquor store, a bakery, a deli, a Subway, a dentist, an optomitrist, a corner store, a gym (?), tax services, a resturant, etc....
You can get anything you need around here on foot, but if you're looking at a walkable mini skirt chasing scene, you'll have to live downtown.

Now, what do you mean by n/w edge of downtown? Downtown is safe enough really, but there are a few people wondering around who would be better suited living in buildings with padded rooms on the side streets lol. And sometimes on the weekend you'll find some douche who drank too much trying to stir up trouble, but I can't say I've ever felt like I was in any real danger down there. I wouldn't suggest living near the U, because aside from the older folks who have been there forever, and some younger families, it's pretty dominated by student rentals. This of course comes with trouble in the form of super loud parties, people taking leaks on you lawn, etc.....

What type of bar scene do you like? Do you prefer Pubs? I might be able to point you somewhere.

Honestly, sounds like you need to live downtown though. SO.....I will suggest Victoria Park Place.
Google Maps

1 bedroom condos can be had for under a grand, all inclusive.

Apartments for rent in Windsor Region. victoria park place Condos, lofts, furnished, unfurnished rentals on Kijiji. Free Classifieds.

You'll either have a great view of the city, or an outstanding view of the Detroit skyline. Watching that city light up at night is really something, and to have you're own balcony facing the river during the International Fireworks would be awesome. It'll also be great if the RedBull air races come back.

Closest grocery store is an 11 minute walk....... Food Basics to Victoria Park Place - Google Maps You'll find a beer store across the street as well.

Bus terminal is maybe 5 minutes....... Transit Windsor - Downtown Bus Terminal to Victoria Park Place - Google Maps
This will also give you access to anywhere in the city, as I'm pretty sure every bus comes there at some point. Another big plus, assuming you have a passport, is it gives you immediate access to Detroit, via the Tunnel Bus.

Quote:
When looking at apartments online is it safe to assume they have AC there? I'm not seeing that specified in any postings and I really can't stand the heat.
I wouldn't assume that at all, but you WILL need AC here in the summer. Not only does it get hot as hell here, but sometimes the humidity will make you wet as soon as you step out the door. I'm not even joking lol.

Odds are, you'll have to buy an AC. Either stick it in a window, or they'll have a slot in the wall for one.

Where are you coming from anyway, if I may ask?

Just curious.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies so far guys. Keep 'em coming.

I found out I'm actually working downtown, not the main campus, so that makes downtown even more attractive but also means Walkerville is a viable option. For the record I have a car but I'd love to sell it after I move - the privatized auto insurance there means it's literally double the cost of public insurance in Manitoba in my case. If I could walk/bus everywhere I need to be and live close to work, I don't see a problem with not owning a car (or sharing a car with my gf who will be moving with me). Proximity to the tunnel bus is another bonus downtown - I plan on catching as many Red Wings and Lions games as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Well, Walkerville kind of has two areas of activity, but yeah, it isn't very dense. Wyandotte Street on it's northern border, and Ottawa Street on it's south are where all the bars (more like pubs actually) and shops are, plus there is the market at Walker and Ottawa streets. In that intersection alone, you'll find almost everything you need to get by: A market with fresh local food, a drug store, a liquor store, a bakery, a deli, a Subway, a dentist, an optomitrist, a corner store, a gym (?), tax services, a resturant, etc....
You can get anything you need around here on foot, but if you're looking at a walkable mini skirt chasing scene, you'll have to live downtown.
Definitely won't be looking for the skirt chasing scene. Just places to watch some hockey/football, catch some live music and meet up with friends (not that I currently know anyone there - again, this help is huge).

Quote:
Now, what do you mean by n/w edge of downtown? Downtown is safe enough really, but there are a few people wondering around who would be better suited living in buildings with padded rooms on the side streets lol. And sometimes on the weekend you'll find some douche who drank too much trying to stir up trouble, but I can't say I've ever felt like I was in any real danger down there. I wouldn't suggest living near the U, because aside from the older folks who have been there forever, and some younger families, it's pretty dominated by student rentals. This of course comes with trouble in the form of super loud parties, people taking leaks on you lawn, etc.....

What type of bar scene do you like? Do you prefer Pubs? I might be able to point you somewhere.
By N/W edge of downtown I mean approximately the area bounded by Park St W, Church St, Riverside Dr W and Ouellette. Seems to be a lot of pubs and restaurants around there and I've found a few (hopefully) nice apartments posted.

Quote:
Honestly, sounds like you need to live downtown though. SO.....I will suggest Victoria Park Place.
Google Maps

1 bedroom condos can be had for under a grand, all inclusive.

Apartments for rent in Windsor Region. victoria park place Condos, lofts, furnished, unfurnished rentals on Kijiji. Free Classifieds.

You'll either have a great view of the city, or an outstanding view of the Detroit skyline. Watching that city light up at night is really something, and to have you're own balcony facing the river during the International Fireworks would be awesome. It'll also be great if the RedBull air races come back.

Closest grocery store is an 11 minute walk....... Food Basics to Victoria Park Place - Google Maps You'll find a beer store across the street as well.

Bus terminal is maybe 5 minutes....... Transit Windsor - Downtown Bus Terminal to Victoria Park Place - Google Maps
This will also give you access to anywhere in the city, as I'm pretty sure every bus comes there at some point. Another big plus, assuming you have a passport, is it gives you immediate access to Detroit, via the Tunnel Bus.
Bookmarked. I'll keep that place in mind next week when I call some places.

Quote:
I wouldn't assume that at all, but you WILL need AC here in the summer. Not only does it get hot as hell here, but sometimes the humidity will make you wet as soon as you step out the door. I'm not even joking lol.

Odds are, you'll have to buy an AC. Either stick it in a window, or they'll have a slot in the wall for one.

Where are you coming from anyway, if I may ask?

Just curious.
I'll budget extra for an AC, the biggest one that'll fit the window . I'm from Winnipeg. It gets pretty hot here a few times a year but only rarely with high humidity, and as I said, I can't really stand the heat.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:37 AM

A couple of dumb points now that we've drifted a little to Detroit.

1. I don't know who your mobile provider is, but Rogers has one good thing in the Windsor market -- Metro Detroit is part of its coverage area which gives it an advantage in the Windsor market;

2. The tunnel bus does take you to Downtown Detroit which gives you access to Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers, Ford Field (Detroit Lions), and Joe Louis Arena (Detroit Red Wings) and Downtown Detroit.

3. There is a business in the lobby of the Penobscot Building (on the route) which will receive packages in the US for Canadians. This will give you access to Amazon.com;

3. but Detroit is a sprawling city and a number of things are in the suburbs. Its mass transit system isn't great. The Woodward line works which will get you to Wayne State University, the Museum District, Midtown, Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham. (Note be sure to study the bus lines here you used to need a different bus for suburban Woodward destinations than urban ones -- not sure if that is still the case). Royal Oak is one of Detroit's better food districts. The District is centered around 10 1/2 to 11 Mile Roads and Main Street. Birmingham is a good location as well, but to posh for my blood.

4. Much of Detroit's better shopping is hard to reach by public transportation and some of its other cool cities are tough as well. For example, Ann Arbor is a great day trip city and really tough to get to by public transportation. The Dearborn shopping area is very tough. The Detroit Pistons and many of Detroit's concerts are north of Pontiac in the Auburn Hills area.

The city of Detroit proper is having tough times, but it has nice suburbs and you will find destinations out there that require a car. My recommendation is to hold on to the car for a couple of months and then reevaluate the situation.

Last edited by stufried; 03-31-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-31-2013, 01:55 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcal View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies so far guys. Keep 'em coming.

I found out I'm actually working downtown, not the main campus, so that makes downtown even more attractive but also means Walkerville is a viable option. For the record I have a car but I'd love to sell it after I move - the privatized auto insurance there means it's literally double the cost of public insurance in Manitoba in my case. If I could walk/bus everywhere I need to be and live close to work, I don't see a problem with not owning a car (or sharing a car with my gf who will be moving with me). Proximity to the tunnel bus is another bonus downtown - I plan on catching as many Red Wings and Lions games as I can.

Really? I have a 21 year old Wrangler, and with State Farm I only pay $110 p/month with full coverage. Maybe I need to move to Manitoba. lol

Honestly, I would keep a car. Bus service can be reletivly sucky here at times. You can use it to get where you need within a few blocks, but it's generally all over by about 1 am at best.

Don't forget the Tigers, man. You don't even have to like baseball to go have fun sitting in the sun drinking beer at a ball park.

Quote:
Definitely won't be looking for the skirt chasing scene. Just places to watch some hockey/football, catch some live music and meet up with friends (not that I currently know anyone there - again, this help is huge).
Well, I didn't know you had a woman lol

I'll suggest some pubs/bars that might meet your needs, and are the one's I like:

If an orange dot shows up on the map when you grab the streetview guy, you can walk around inside the place.

The Manchester: obviously a pub. Sports on TV, fooze ball, patio, live music.
The Manchester, Ouellette Avenue, Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

Lefty's on the "O": Pub-ish, Sports, patio, usually there's live music on weekends...eh, I think lol. I've been working 12 hour weekends for a year now, so you'll have to excuse my memory.
Lefty's on the O, Chatham Street East, Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

Villian's: Pub-ish, there's a TV in there...that's all I know. I can't remember if I saw any sports on it. Live music usually. What's really neat, is there are hand drawn, framed drawings of just about any villian you can think of on the walls. From Cobra Commander or Destro, to Brain...from Pinky and the Brain. I rememeber looking across the room and noticed this little picture frame with all this hair in it, and I thought: wtf? Is that....is that David Bowie.....from the movie Labrynth? lmao! Hell, even Bluto from Popeye is up there.

Papa Cheney's Whiskey Well: pub-ish, I don't know about TV...whiskey makes me forget. lol
Upstairs has pool tables, couches and a great view of the river. No live music.

Bull n' Barrel: country orientated, sports on TV, no live music, waitress' are cute and wear cowboy hats, watch hammered chicks get tossed from a bull. A boob or two might pop out.

The Loop, Pogo's & Coach and Horses: Top floor is The Loop, land of misfit toys of society. Anyone and everyone will go there at some point in their life, because it caters to no group in particular. No TV, no live bands, it can get pretty hot, sometimes its so hot you can taste people, bar of my youth. lol
Careful on the stairs. Take that to heart.

Main floor is Pogo's. Generally serves as The Loop's waiting room on the weekends. You'll find live bands here and there, sports, fairly quiet bar.

Basement is the Coach & Horses. Feels like the basement of an old building. Live bands.
the loop Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

The Pour House: Pub, it think there is sports on TV, patio, I don't think there's live music.
the pour house Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

The Well House, and Mick's Irish Pub: Pubs, TV...I can't remember, patioes.
the pour house Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

Getting away from the downtown core...........

The Kildare House: A true pub, no doubt about it. In a house from about 1888 or so. By far my favorite place in the city for beers. Sports on TV, patio, food, live music...usually traditional irish stuff. There's almost alway something, be it open mic night or music. Go there.
kildare house Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

Even further, way out on the east end, you'll find:

A'Bars on the river: I can't remember if there is sports on TV...but probably. Live Music, and a great big honkin' deck on the river. Looks like a dive, but it's not bad at all. The place is ancient and a historic roadhouse during the rumrunning days. All sorts of famous Americans used to bring their boats over and get hammered during prohibition.
Dominion House, Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

On the other side of town, in Olde Sandwich town, the oldest part of the city, you will find my other favorite.....

Dominion House: Lovingly known as the DH, this tavern has been in continuous operation since 1878! And it shows lol. Sports on TV, food, a deck, two volley ball courts, pool, fooze ball, darts, live bands.........love it. Go.

The Stumble Inn: Another good pub. Sports on TV, patio, food, and I don't think they have bands, but I've definitly seen people with guitars and the like.

^^^^actually, nevermind. My partner here at work just read a facebook post saying it's closing lol
Whatever...it'll open as something else before summer comes, I'm sure of it. It'll always be a pub.

Rock Bottom Bar & Grill: Pub like atmosphere, sports on TV, no patio but the front is all garage doors that open up, pool table, food, can't say I've ever seen live music.

Hurricane's Pub & Grill: Sports on TV, no patio, good food...specialy the wings, no live music I'm aware of.

Leaving Sandwich Towne, and well away from downtown....let's just call it midtown, are two sports orientated bars.

Cramdon's Tap & Eatery, sports bar & billiards: Self explainatory, no? No live music, way bigger than it looks on the outside.

John Max: sports bar & grill: Good food, sports everywhere, no live music, patio.

Well, that's my mostly pub review. Apparently I drink alot.

Oh, if you'd like to take the little lady out for a top notch dinner, I suggest the Keg Steakhouse & Bar:
Effing expensive, but worth every penny, every time. Right on the river, patio, there might be sports on TV in the bar area. AND STEAK.
The Keg Steakhouse & Bar - Riverside, Riverside Drive West, Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

Another really good place is Jose's Bar & Grill:
For some reason, if you look at the reviews people are saying it's awful....I found it to be quite the opposite. I'll let this parking lot speak for itself, as it looks like this damn near any day of the week.
Jose's Noodle Factory, Howard Avenue, Windsor, Ont - Google Maps

And an MM, MM, MMMMMMMMMM good pulled pork and ribs place, is Smoke n' Spice

and be sure to hit up Ottawa Street Villiage as well. Lots of good little pubs, resturants and shops.

Oh! And Erie Street, Windsor's little Italy. Lots of great dining to be had there.

Quote:
By N/W edge of downtown I mean approximately the area bounded by Park St W, Church St, Riverside Dr W and Ouellette. Seems to be a lot of pubs and restaurants around there and I've found a few (hopefully) nice apartments posted.
Hmmm....well if ya got any questions, some of us may have heard things about certain places, or even lived in them.

Quote:
I'll budget extra for an AC, the biggest one that'll fit the window . I'm from Winnipeg. It gets pretty hot here a few times a year but only rarely with high humidity, and as I said, I can't really stand the heat.
Make sure you do. Average daily high around here in July is about 82F.....er, 28C. Which sounds awesome right? Well, from May thru September, with the humidex factored in, there is an average of
66 days over 30C, 28 days over 35C, and 6 days over 40C.

Thought you'd like that, so I bolded and underlined stuff.

You can always get out on the water though, via cruises. There is a huge boating culture in this region on both sides of the border.

In Windsor, cruising selection is limited to just one ship, I believe.
Windsor River Cruises

In Detroit, you have a couple options.

The Detroit Princess
https://www.detroitprincess.com/

Diamond Jack Tours
Diamond Jacks River Tours

Done'em all, loved'em all.

Alright, I'm done typing in this post for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada