Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM

152 posts, read 567,019 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm looking to relocate to montreal as i hear the rent is cheaper there as oppose to toronto or vancouver. I'm an american from new york city and just want a furnished studio. Also as an american, i can stay max 6 months so i would be looking for a place that does month to month lease or 3 month lease max. Thing is i play online poker as my income and thats why im coming to canada.

I had checked a few apartments online. I also messaged a few ppl from montreal about it and so far the ones that are like $1000-$1100/month fully furnished, i was told that those locations are good as its downtown or the plateau. They also tell me well the price is very overpriced though for living in montreal for a furnished studio.

I had found a few other places that are cheaper. One cost around $750/month and has internet cabilities but problem is someone told me that location is very east of st. denis and thus very french. I cannot speak french. But that shouldn't be a big problem as i wont be conversing with neighbors much as i would be minding my own business on the computer.

I had earlier found a place in sherbrooke where a furnished studio cost 570/month and thus very cheap. A few others saw the link i posted to them and said its excellent as its cheap and good location for someone who doesn't speak french and only english. The problem with this place is that well they only have wifi internet and even though they tell me its usually good, the wifi can get slow at night which would be big problem for me. Internet to me is one of the top priorites.

I had asked if ppl in the building had their own internet and the guy said yes they do. But problem is first you need cable company to come and install it at a fee and then they usually sign you up for a 1 year contract at the minimum right? Is there a way you could install cable internet and do short term? I figure if you can, then it would be a pretty high price for installation and the monthly internet?

I then thought about, wouldn't it be good idea to buy one of those wireless card sticks for the laptop? Does anyone have any experience with these? I live in nyc and never bought one as i never needed it as i had cable internet at home. But what i know is its a stick you put in your laptop then get internet on it. Does anyone know how much this stick cost to purchase? Also how much does it cost per month? I would be mostly playing online poker and i hear this doesn't use that much bandwidth. I assume this should never cost more than $100 per month right? And is it possible to do a monthly plan because that is what i would be choosing.

I thought this would be good idea b/c that way i aren't overpaying in rent in montreal as $1100 vs a place that is $570. And thus if it cost $100 max, i basically saving $400 a month in rent and thus am also in a location that is not in a very french area so i wouldn't have language barriers.

Does anyone use this and can give me your opinion? Is it very reliable and is the speed pretty good? Would the speed of this be more reliable than wifi? They told me in that building wifi is shared throughout the building and dont have ethernet/wired.

I also assume whether its montreal, canada or toronto, its basically all the same for these mobile internet sticks? I do know that for regular high speed internet, someone told me there are 2 big companies only but what about these mobile internet sticks?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 02:40 PM

171 posts, read 273,735 times
most have it, BELL, TELUS, etc.
But you will be limited to 5GB a month max for something like $40-$80 depending.
Speed is about 8mpbs and fairly reliable but not as reliable as wifi - it all depends on what you use it for. If you stream videos a lot expect it to stutter occaisonally but you can always download videos and watch them later subject to 5Gb max.

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 03-31-2013 at 03:00 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM

How much does it cost for the actual stick?

I won't be streaming any videos in the plan obviously. Assumign i dont do that, would i rarely get disconnects?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
I don't know if you'll get many encouraging responses to your question since what you're planning on doing (illegal income, tax evasion and fraud) is illegal in Canada. There's been topics about this here before with explanations about why it's illegal so perhaps you should do a search of those topics as it might save yourself a lot of trouble with the law. Online poker players (grinders) from foreign countries aren't eligible to get work visas to earn income as poker players in Canada, and as just a visitor you can't earn any income at all so there's no legal way for you to do it. Maybe you could try posting your questions on an online American refugee grinders forum instead - a grinder there with more experience may be able to inform you better and help you stay out of a lot of potential trouble with both Canadian and American immigration authorities and revenue/tax authorities.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Hi. What I'm doing is not illegal. There are many people who relocated to another country to continue to earn a living doing this whether its canada, europe or mexico or thailand or costa rica. Online poker is not illegal in any country. Also don't know what you mean by tax evasion and fraud as I pay taxes on my income. However, I pay taxes to the usa government but do not have to pay to canadian government as im not using their resources such as healthcare or trying to get a job in canada which would be a no-no. Also im not taking a job from a canadian as im basically using the computer to continue my job. I had confirmed this with my accountant already.

The work visa you are talking about. I'm not applying for one. I'm going to be here for 6 month max and then leave so i will never apply for one. There are many others that do this in canada and then leave before the 6 month period is up and many didnt apply for any visa and have zero problems.

I just asked about the mobile internet sticks. I dont know why you are addressing these other stuff which i know about already. I know about american refugee grinders. They basically help you relocate such as help you find a place to rent and get internet and set up a bank account for you. Basically if you have no clue how to do anything you contact them. The thing is i already know what to do already when i get there once i find a place. Also the service cost about $1000 for them to help you and also the apartments they will help you with will usually be the more expensive ones.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Well okie dokie then, if you insist on it I'll say no more.

When you get tossed out on your ear at the border don't say nobody ever tried to warn you about temporary visiting foreigners needing permits to work in Canada. Have fun with that, eh.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-01-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,445,955 times
this person will be allowed to stay in Canada for 6months as a visitor AS LONG AS you present a means to support yourself outside of a Canada and ties to your country as proof you have a NEED to go back to your originating country and no intentions of staying. you wont be allowed back in the country after this period until you spend another reaming 6 months out of the country. its 6 month in 6 month out, NO LEEWAY

the OP should be ok with a work from home scenario...i say "should be" because what they are trying to do here is not illegal and it IS the proper thing to be doing in this situation, but it will all come down to if the boarder officials and their supervisors believes you are truthful and you story makes logical sense to them. its a total judgment call on their part.

the only certainty is the more time you expect to spend the harder they will go over your story and be on you before allowing you in.

if it is your first time attempting this expect to be pulled in, interviewed and issued a i-94 (document that must be returned to the boarder proving yo left the county by a specific date) if they allow you through.

as far as not using health care. you may...you can say for certain. if you become ill or get in an accident nobody will refuse you treatment. this is also taken into account by the official you talk too. if you are a medical high risk (travel with/take lots of medication, have existing medical issues, terminal illness etc) they will not allow you to stay for extended periods.

as for Mobil internet. i cant help..sorry
all you need to know is internet sucks in Canada and be prepared to pay twice what you would in the states for it.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,134 times
I-94 is a U.S. document.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Can someone from canada answer these questions for me?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM

984 posts, read 2,710,790 times
a mobile internet stick is not practical for full time internet use. You'll hit the monthly cap long before the month is up and will pay a lot for overages. If you want details about pricing, someone already posted the main carriers.. look them up..

As for stability of the connection it is hard for anyone here to answer. The building you would be living in would impact your connection. A particular carrier could have great coverage all over the place but there will be some weaker spots here and there. It will depend on your exact location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada