Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:26 PM

301 posts, read 521,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The biggest movie industry in the world is in... India.
And the only people that watch it are Indians lol. English speaking movies are watched by the whole world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:35 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
And the only people that watch it are Indians lol. English speaking movies are watched by the whole world
Bollywood movies have a wider reach than you realize, and are fairly popular in Africa, the Middle East and even Russia. And this popularity is growing.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Yeah I get that. I am originally from Former Yugoslavia and I know over there the older people don't speak any English at all because all they need is their language when they live there because all the movies, shows, media, etc. is all translated. I just assumed because Quebec is surrounded by both English Canada and America I thought the English presence would be stronger there. But I guess due to Quebec politics they made Quebec exclusively French in the province so English doesn't become a big influence there. That's fine and there's no problem with that but I find English is more useful to know in Quebec than French is to know in other parts of Canada or English is to know in some parts of Europe if that makes sense. Overall English is a very important language to know on an international scale (though French is probably the second most important language to know, which is why the French speakers in both Quebec and France are very proud of their language and want to protect it) so it's always useful for Quebeckers to know English as well.
This is a sensible post, but the reason French is strong in Quebec (and English has not taken over here) is not solely or even primarily related to the politics and also language laws. (Although these have helped prevent a large-scale erosion of French from taking place.)

There are many historical factors that have helped keep Quebec mainly French-speaking, and if you look at these the things the real surprise might even be that Quebec is as English as it is today.

For example, much of the English-speaking community in Quebec today is made up of people who are not anglo in origin. In most places these people would have become francophones upon arriving in a place like Quebec. But they did not after arriving here - they became anglophones. So this is a factor that has made Quebec *more* English than it would otherwise be.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM

692 posts, read 957,702 times
Quote:
1. India has a larger population than all the world's anglophones put together (and indeed holds the largest population of Anglophones already)

2. Movies produced in English countries are watched by the whole world, but NOT IN ENGLISH. Most movies produced in English end up being dubbed in Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese and German at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a sensible post, but the reason French is strong in Quebec (and English has not taken over here) is not solely or even primarily related to the politics and also language laws. (Although these have helped prevent a large-scale erosion of French from taking place.)

There are many historical factors that have helped keep Quebec mainly French-speaking, and if you look at these the things the real surprise might even be that Quebec is as English as it is today.

For example, much of the English-speaking community in Quebec today is made up of people who are not anglo in origin. In most places these people would have become francophones upon arriving in a place like Quebec. But they did not after arriving here - they became anglophones. So this is a factor that has made Quebec *more* English than it would otherwise be.
Exactly. A huge proportion of Quebec's anglophones are immigrants from Italy, Eastern European Jews, etc who decided to learn English when they arrived in the 30's, 40's and 50's rather than French.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:23 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
So why do so many of them speak english, why are they so desperate to learn it, why is it heavily taught in most countries in the world, why do governments encourage their people to learn English, why do governments make it a top priority to educate their people to speak english.
You wouldn't be able to post here if you didn't know English.
Whenever I travel to other countries, the people I meet nearly all speak English, even the people in low paying jobs spoke to me in english
As a qualified ESL teacher, I can assure they are not "so desperate to learn it", it is generally a form of function in dealing with tourism. I have no idea if you are bilingual or not but when you travel and try to speak, for example, French - you may find that the same employees can ALSO speak French. Lord knows I found that out quick when I didn't want to deal with street hustlers People who survive on tourism dollars are multilingual.

You are tooting your English horn way too loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada