Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,731,481 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that Ontario is more oriented to the US Northeast than to the Midwest. A majority of Ontarians live closest to border crossings in New York State, Lake Ontario isn't in the midwest, Toronto's sports teams are in the "eastern" rather than central or western divisions with NYC, Boston, etc. Colonial towns like Kingston, Port Hope, Cobourg and Niagara-on-the-Lake just don't feel at all midwestern. However Ontario does have ties to Michigan via the auto industry and also a history of Ontarians immigrating there. Interestingly Upstate New York and Michigan feel somewhat similar (due to the latter's history of being settled by "Yankees" from the former). Michigan is the midwestern state influenced most by New York/New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,786,968 times
To me Ontario just feels like Canada. It has more in common with British Columbia even, than it does with the American states nearby.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,603,790 times
Buffalo (closest city to Toronto in upstate New York) does fall in the Northeast corridor but it is really a blend of Midwest and Northeast, but probably tilts more Midwest in terms of culture. Buffalo is far from hardcore Northeast like the BosWash corridor along the East coast. Toronto is the same. It's a blend but I would say maybe 2/3rds Midwest and 1/3rd Northeast with a Canadian twist (Canada is a separate country afterall). The rest of Ontario is more Midwest as the whole province basically hovers on top of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio and upstate New York. It is true that a town like Kingston might be more of a blend like say a Pittsburgh but a town like London is prototypical Midwest.

Regardless, if the US annexed Canada, Ontario would be seen as most similar to Michigan or Illinois and part of the Midwest or what they call the "Greak Lakes Mega region", which would include all Great Lakes cities including Buffalo. Georgraphical boundries are not cut and dry when defining regions.

File:MapofEmergingUSMegaregions.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by johnathanc; 04-22-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
From my perspective it is a mix, but at least for the Toronto area and any points east I would clearly give the edge to the northeastern US.

For Toronto, there are quite a few more business, cultural and family links with the NE US (especially NYC) than with Chicago and the Midwest. Just look at the number of flights per day between Toronto and New York.

This is not to say that Toronto is indifferent to Chicago and the Midwest, but generally speaking Toronto's eyes are more often than not turned to the east.

Note also that the two Canadian cities with which Toronto has the most and closest interaction (Montreal and Ottawa) would be totally oriented towards the US NE.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,543,934 times
Well the part that borders Minnesota reminds me alot of Minnesota.

Not much people live up there though.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For Toronto, there are quite a few more business, cultural and family links with the NE US (especially NYC) than with Chicago and the Midwest. Just look at the number of flights per day between Toronto and New York.
What links did you have in mind? Every city has lots of flights to/from NYC and every city has people who move to NYC to work. The businesses in Toronto are very Canadian focused as well and I can't think of any real economic links to NYC that would be different from anywhere else. Financial services and Manufacturing are the big industries in Ontario and Illinois. Cultural items from NYC influence many cities like Toronto and Chicago and not so much the other way around. I agree that Toronto (being the big city in Canada) aspires to be more like NYC but that doesn't mean it is. When I lived in NYC and told people I was from, most didn't even know where Toronto was on the map so there are no links from a recognition perspective. The lifestyle, personalities, outlook, and work ethic of the people in Toronto, although not exactly alike, are more similar to Chicago than NYC in my personal experience. Not that there is anything wrong with that. In all fairness only London reminds me New York, of course it is a European version.

Last edited by johnathanc; 04-22-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,867,991 times
Toronto reminds me more of....Toronto, Ontario.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Toronto reminds me more of....Toronto, Ontario.
Comparisons to the US just never end. The majority of threads here always compare to the US in some form or another and I wish it would stop. Especially since most people haven't lived in both countries to begin with.

Last edited by johnathanc; 04-22-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,547,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Comparisons to the US just never end. The majority of threads here always compare to the US in some form or another and I wish it would stop. Especially since most people haven't lived in both countries to begin with.
What do you expect? This is an American site, whose whole purpose is basically to compare different locations.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,731,481 times
Part of the reason may be related to family ties; while their ethnic compositions aren't all that similar there are a lot of immigrant communities that are significant in NYC and Toronto but not in Chicago.

And again there seems to be assumption here that "BosWash" and "Northeast" are synonymous. Is Scranton PA "midwestern" in terms of "culture"?

Rochester doesn't feel very Midwestern to me and it's just a tad east of Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada