Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Agreed..We should grant them special treatment so some of their more radical members don't try to kill us in Terrorist attacks? Im also pretty sure that even if Canada was not in Afghanistan we would still be a target, as radicals dont like our 'decadent' lifestyles and percieve us as attacking Islam (how??)..I agree with the poster who remarked if you dont like our life styles, you dont like our politics then GTFO!...that is directed at Radical terrorists living here NOT the majority of upstanding muslims
It's way less 'us' or a perception of a 'decadent lifestyle', then the fact that our foreign policy piggybacks off American foreign policy, and that we border the US. Apart from those two things, I don't think we're important enough from a terrorist viewpoint. We don't define western foreign policy direction in the way the US does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,772,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
^^^I absolutely agree with you about North America's Muslim population. But a lot of ignorant angry Americans seem to be completely unaware of the fact. If they start acting stupid, they might just alienate their Muslim community.
Muslims in Toronto are denouncing these creeps. Muslims like it here - They know that life will be good for them and their children...They don't need some trouble makers destroying their reputation before they are allowed to even build one. It's difficult being an immigrant in Canada....no sensible group of Muslims wants trouble ---The reason why most are here is to be free. Lunatics are like dogs that bite the hand that feeds them and wonder why they get kicked. The one alleged terror suspect insisted that he does not recognize the laws of Canada............Then why the hell did you come? I guess they want to wage their holy war in comfort. Lazy radicals who love our food...our shelter and our protection under the law - but don't like us?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:44 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Muslims in Toronto are denouncing these creeps. Muslims like it here - They know that life will be good for them and their children...They don't need some trouble makers destroying their reputation before they are allowed to even build one. It's difficult being an immigrant in Canada....no sensible group of Muslims wants trouble ---The reason why most are here is to be free. Lunatics are like dogs that bite the hand that feeds them and wonder why they get kicked. The one alleged terror suspect insisted that he does not recognize the laws of Canada............Then why the hell did you come? I guess they want to wage their holy war in comfort. Lazy radicals who love our food...our shelter and our protection under the law - but don't like us?
OMG I actually agree with you on this one.
The answer though as to why he came here is that when he did he wasn't radicalized. Why he did become radicalized, who knows. There was an interview today on CBC Radio that spoke to the landlord of the father of one of these " creeps ". The father is apparently a terrific man looking after one handicapped son. The son that is now arrested wasn't always religious but started picking up his faith. The father apparently at first was happy, but eventually told the landlord that his son was expressing extreme views that the father wasn't comfortable with. It wasn't to the point yet, or at least revealed to the father that he was so radicalized that he would think of doing something so stupid as this.
All the Muslims I know are wonderful people and the newer muslim immigrants love Canada. Although it's not really fair to lump immigrant Muslims as one group. They vary as much as the countries they come from.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:19 PM

103 posts, read 169,015 times
Most Muslims are very good people and take pride in Canada there is a reason they left there homeland as they want a good life live free etc.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,011,724 times
Man, it never ceases to amaze me how similar on the surface the US is to Canada yet at the same time the differences are like nite and day.

Thanks guys for reminding me not all of North America wants to go back to the Dark Ages.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,839,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
This was not the first time Canada was the focus of an attack. And why should the federal government foster ties with the muslim community in particular? They are like any other group, I don't think they deserve any special treatment, we as individuals should treat EVERYONE with kindness I dont think muslims deserve to be treated any better then anyone else. Canada is a good country, thats why people come here. I have had muslims freinds, some were cool, some were religous fanatics. I'm an atheist and alot of my freinds are gay, i hope when we try to make frends with muslims they are accepting of our Canadian values as you expect us to be accepting of them.
How is it "special treatment" to foster ties with Muslim nations? We have strong ties with Israel? We give them lots of "special treatment". Why not balance our approach to foreign affairs in the Middle East and foster similar ties to Muslim nations, with those who have embraced democracy, and even those that have not. It will only help our country to gain influence and credibility there (which we used to have and lost due to the Harper government's blatant preference of Israel over the rest of the Middle East), and become the importamt diplomatic actor we once were. This kind of thing is simple foreign affairs, not "special treatment" like we offer some countries (Israel, China, and some African and Latin American nations come to mind).

Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,772,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
OMG I actually agree with you on this one.
The answer though as to why he came here is that when he did he wasn't radicalized. Why he did become radicalized, who knows. There was an interview today on CBC Radio that spoke to the landlord of the father of one of these " creeps ". The father is apparently a terrific man looking after one handicapped son. The son that is now arrested wasn't always religious but started picking up his faith. The father apparently at first was happy, but eventually told the landlord that his son was expressing extreme views that the father wasn't comfortable with. It wasn't to the point yet, or at least revealed to the father that he was so radicalized that he would think of doing something so stupid as this.
All the Muslims I know are wonderful people and the newer muslim immigrants love Canada. Although it's not really fair to lump immigrant Muslims as one group. They vary as much as the countries they come from.
The term radicalize is interesting. What does the term in simplicity actually mean? In my experience - there are only three sets of human beings. The lovers...the haters and the indifferent. I believe that this guy was indifferent. He had only two routes to take into the future. The one road to the right which is righteousness and love...the positive road that leads to happiness, stability and mutual co-operation. Then there is the sinister choice to the left which is the embracing of hatred as a way of being. Hate is one of the most foolish emotions...it's destructive to the one getting hated and the hater. We all have that choice, to hate or to love.

I recall my fathers immigrant friends..Old school Russians who had a lot of faith...there were many dinner parties - they were all fine intelligent people...NOT once did I hear anyone say something hateful...of all the families they were all of a sophisticated nature...except for one. One couple who wore a perpetual sneer..they hated everything..They taught their children to hate...and to blame others for everything...There lives did not end well...Hate destroys...The lovers that were my dad's friends arrived for my mother funeral..They were all healthy and in their 80s...they were all bright faced and smiling...They had lived good lives...Love was their religion and their mindset.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,136,389 times
Quote:
How is it "special treatment" to foster ties with Muslim nations? We have strong ties with Israel? We give them lots of "special treatment". Why not balance our approach to foreign affairs in the Middle East and foster similar ties to Muslim nations, with those who have embraced democracy, and even those that have not. It will only help our country to gain influence and credibility there (which we used to have and lost due to the Harper government's blatant preference of Israel over the rest of the Middle East), and become the importamt diplomatic actor we once were. This kind of thing is simple foreign affairs, not "special treatment" like we offer some countries (Israel, China, and some African and Latin American nations come to mind).
I've a strong suspicion that the only way to gain influence and credibility in the Middle East would be officially renouncing the Queen as the head of the state and making Islam the official (and the only) religion in Canada. No less than that will do.

Until then, we'll probably always remain infidels to them, which is a deadly sin.

I hope, I'm wrong.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,478,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I've a strong suspicion that the only way to gain influence and credibility in the Middle East would be officially renouncing the Queen as the head of the state and making Islam the official (and the only) religion in Canada. No less than that will do.

Until then, we'll probably always remain infidels to them, which is a deadly sin.

I hope, I'm wrong.
I think they care much more about their political goals then they do our religion, to be perfectly honest. China is an officially Atheist country where Islam is suppressed, but their friendly foreign policy has won them alot of clout in the Muslim world, and when we were viewed as true honest brokers we really did have some credibility there as well. I'm sure converting to islam wouldn't be necessary to gain influence, if we as a big Western nation were to back the Palestinians on some major points I'm sure that would be enough to gain quite a bit of influence, however I'm not suggesting that we should do that at all.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,318,279 times
Quote:
First you said the muslim community, and talked about neighbors and making freinds with them. Now foreign affairs, that something diffferent. We are talking about HERE IN CANADA. The terror plot took place HERE, and as far as I know Canada has opened its door to muslims. Lets not turn this into a foreign affairs thread or a hate Isreal thread. Canada has given aid to many parts of the Muslim world, including -Palestine.

Canada does not give Africa and Latin America special treatment over muslims, Just looks at the immigrants in this country. Muslim immigrants out number Latin Americans here many times over. You can't be serious Tokkid, Are you muslim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada