Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times

Advertisements

Few people have probably traveled on both Amtrak and Via Rail Canada, but for any who have, how does Via Rail Canada compare? I have ridden on Amtrak and was under-impressed with the service, but am curious about how comfortable Via Rail Canada is for cross country travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I've heard Rail Canada is no better than Amtrak.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Really hard to say, as everyone has different experiences. I've personally never found VIA to be anything but excellent, clean, on time, and with friendly service. It is also bilingual, if that suits your fancy. The train is "fast" as far as North American trains go. It also doesn't compete with nearly as many railways for track time as Amtrak, which is Amtraks main problem with being late. It also depends on what route. For commuter stuff, I would say they are probably even.

If we're talking cross country......landscapes aside, The Canadian takes the cake, by far. It is a land cruise and has almost nothing to do with the destination. The whole trip is about the train ride.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
For cross country trains, here is a quick comparison of The Canadian, and of the California Zephyr.

The Canadian uses refurbished 1950's BUDD cars, which are stainless steel beauties. These videos were taken before its multi million dollar overhaul.

VIA RAIL CANADIAN - Interior Tour #1 - October 2002 - YouTube

This is the Park Car....takes about 5 minutes for this guy to get out of his cabin tour.

VIA Rail Cabin and Park Car Tour - YouTube

And from the outside...you just can't beat it, really.

The Canadians know how to run a passenger train. - YouTube

Via Rail Canadian arriving in Edmonton. - YouTube

California Zephyr walk thru

Onboard Amtrak's California Zephyr - YouTube

And from outside

Amtrak California Zephyr on Colorado's Front Range - YouTube

For both trains, July 8th was chosen.

Onboard the Canadian, a cabin for 1 is going to run you $2,324.41, Toronto to Vancouver. An upper berth alone runs $1,079.15.

Onboard the Zephyr, a superliner roomette is going to run you $764.00 even, Chicago to San Francisco (EMY)

If I'd rather just sleep in a seat on the Canadian, it will cost $623.76. On the Zephyr....$202 for a coach seat.

If I want to take a quality train ride, thru a beautiful country, I will take the Zephyr. If I want to take a land cruise thru a beautiful country, I will take the Canadian. The Canadian is probably the very last, true, trans-continental passenger train in North America.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
VIA is expensive and sub-par.
It is slow and uncomfortable. Trains in north america are generally overpriced and bad.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
VIA is expensive and sub-par.
It is slow and uncomfortable. Trains in north america are generally overpriced and bad.
having ridden on France's TVG going at 250KMH to 300KMH from Paris to Nice I would have to agree, North American rail cannot compare

Old 04-25-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
having ridden on France's TVG going at 250KMH to 300KMH from Paris to Nice I would have to agree, North American rail cannot compare
Not just France, German, Spain, China, Japan. All light years ahead of us.

North American trains are more of a joke. Via feels like a train from 1985 China.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Quote:

North American trains are more of a joke. Via feels like a train from 1985 China.
Why the comparison to these random countries?

thread title: How does Via Rail compare to Amtrak?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why the comparison to these random countries?

thread title: How does Via Rail compare to Amtrak?

these are not random countries. They are world leaders when it comes to rapid rail.
Comparing with a poor train system doesn't tell how backward ours is. Comparing to the good one does.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:

I have taken high speed trains from The Netherlands, from France, and from Germany. I have also taken the slower trains which still run all over Europe. I have friends that travelled in China in the 1980's and remember hearing about " soft seat " class. They think your comparison is off base.

I also used to work on Via Rail in the early 1980's for a couple of years. I love trains.
In Canada the cost of building a TGV style train is astronomical when compared to the numbers of people who would use it. Being the second largest country in the world with only 35 million people is not the same as having over 300 million people in a smaller area than what is Canada.

We fly instead. The trains, except for a few runs such as Toronto to Montreal are not used for commuting. They are tourist trains for the most part. It would be great though to see some runs, like Toronto to Montreal get a high speed train, but again it is the cost that has probably prevented that.

The question is about trans-continental railways, Amtrak and Via, so going a bit off topic let's look at transcontinental service in Europe. Except for perhaps the Orient Express luxury train, you can not stay on one train to cross it. I took a trip a couple of years ago and went from Venice to Amsterdam. To achieve this I had to change in Milan, and Bern, and Paris all in the same day. Three different train companies. You do have to change trains on Via as well, but it over a much longer period of time. Winnipeg to Vancouver is two nights.

For just getting from point A to B, yes high speed trains are superior. That's a given.

The first class TGV or Thaly's service is NOTHING like Sleeper Class on Via. TGV and Thaly's serve airline type pre-made meals to your seat. On Via you can sit in a dining car where the food was prepared from scratch using real chefs. The snack car, or Skyline Cars, are just average everday snacks though...like everywhere.

A better comparison is to compare Via type trains to similar " milk-run " trains in Europe. I have done several overnight sleeper car service in Europe. None, not one stands up to the quality you get on Via. Not in service, food, beds, etc. In fact they usually have food on a trolley ( if you can call if food, mostly packaged snacks) or a snack bar car that microwaves your meal.
The german high speed train did have a dining car which I ate in. Again, not freshly made, but airline type of food.

Comparing a Via rail trip from Toronto to Montreal, which I have also done, is comparable to a milk-run type train in Europe, but overnight service is not.

It would be wonderful to have modern high speed trans Canada train service and keep the food and dining car experience up there, however who will pay for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada