Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,239 times

Advertisements

How often do you Canadians cross the border into the U.S.? Typically for how long and where?
When was the last time you visited?

Last edited by OneLess; 04-26-2013 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
A lot of it depends on where in Canada you live. Snowbirds on the west coast visit California and Arizona, plus zip down to Vegas for a weekend of fun quite easily. In Central Canada and further east, Florida is the place a lot go.
As for how often and how long, well that may depend on if you have family or friends to visit.
My family that lived in the states are now all dead, but I still have friends in California, although I haven't been to California for six years.
It's easy for us in Vancouver to go to Seattle for a weekend, but I admit that was more fun and more of an adventure when I was in my 20's. Now I hardly go, maybe once every 3 years or so. No reflection on Seattle, just me and priorities.
The length of time I stayed was as short as a day, the longest was maybe 3 weeks.
I admit crossing the border for a few years was not pleasant. It used to be a few questions and on your way. After 9/11 I felt un-welcomed and slightly harassed, so I stop going for a while...at least seven years. It's better now, but it's not the same.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
Once every two years on average, until I moved to the U.S. for school.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
I cross over every fall and don't return to Canada until the spring.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
My wife and I were married in Manhattan last May and attended the Lions/Packers game in Detroit last November. We are heading back to Manhattan this May for our first anniversary. We typically spend five nights in Manhattan when we visit, while the Detroit trip was an overnight bus tour.

We tend to visit the States a couple times a year on average, usually to Vegas or NYC.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
2008. I didn't want to go after 9/11 and that was the election year for the new president.

We went to the Fargo-Moorhead area quite often in the 90s because a professor friend (an expat Canadian) lived there. Then he moved back here. But I think a lot of Manitobans go to Fargo-Moorhead and Grand Forks for quick weekend getaways and shopping. I am not a shopper unless it is a book store or a tack store.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
during the past five years:

Los Angeles - twice
San Fran Bay - twice
San Diego - once
Seattle - once
Chicago - once
Boston - Twice
NYC - three times
DC - once
Florida - once
New England - once

I probably will never go to other parts of the US, as there seems to be nothing there.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
I used to visit several times a year to see family, and of course my one true love - NYC. But both my US and Canadian passports expired around the same time two years ago, so it's been a while. Hell it's been a while since I've been anywhere. I haven't even been up north in three years. To be honest, the city's starting to get to me. I could use a little vacation up in Algonquin, or maybe rent a cottage on one of my fave lakes up near Bancroft.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
during the past five years:

Los Angeles - twice
San Fran Bay - twice
San Diego - once
Seattle - once
Chicago - once
Boston - Twice
NYC - three times
DC - once
Florida - once
New England - once

I probably will never go to other parts of the US, as there seems to be nothing there.
There's plenty to do.

New Orleans, Las Vegas, Austin, and Miami are cool cities that I don't see on your list. I haven't been to Philly in like 10 years so that might be an offbeat place to check out as well - lots of history and a strong food scene. The US, like Canada, has excellent scenery as well - Arizona, Oregon, Maine, Charleston, Colorado, Napa/Sonoma, and Savannah are gorgeous.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
I try to get to Detroit as often as I can. However....if the wonderful people in power over there go ahead with their idea of charging me an additional fee, on top of a crossing toll, simply for having the honour bestowed upon me for visiting America....I will cut my trips to twice a year, if not zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada