Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,216 times

Advertisements

I would say Newfoundlanders, then British Columbians. The least British aside from the Territories and Quebec of course would probably be like Manitoba or something. Lots of people of Slavic descent there especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM

196 posts, read 424,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I would say Newfoundlanders, then British Columbians. The least British aside from the Territories and Quebec of course would probably be like Manitoba or something. Lots of people of Slavic descent there especially.
Belmont! My word!

Lots of French and British began settlement out here, including my great-granny who spoke with a "mid-Atlantic" accent.

They were then followed by the Western Europeans, which included Belgians, Germans, and Dutch, not to mention all the Nordic people who came here (mainly Icelanders). Then came the Eastern Europeans (not Slavics! My word!), mainly Poles and Ukranians.

Winnipeg was a little more mixed being out on the "frontiers", but was very much a Western European city, with a visible Eastern European Minority. You should see the photos of the Union Jack gracing Eaton's Downtown celebrating war victory, or the visit of a member of the British Royal Family.

And to me, the most British place in Canada is Southern Ontario. Although this area (especially Toronto) has attracted a large amount of new immigrants, many, many, many British settled down here:
- direct from Britain
- As loyalists in 1776
- Or disenchanted British-Americans in 1812 (some of my family came this route)

Town and city names in the area provide the best attestment to this.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Belmont! My word!

Lots of French and British began settlement out here, including my great-granny who spoke with a "mid-Atlantic" accent.

They were then followed by the Western Europeans, which included Belgians, Germans, and Dutch, not to mention all the Nordic people who came here (mainly Icelanders). Then came the Eastern Europeans (not Slavics! My word!), mainly Poles and Ukranians.

Winnipeg was a little more mixed being out on the "frontiers", but was very much a Western European city, with a visible Eastern European Minority. You should see the photos of the Union Jack gracing Eaton's Downtown celebrating war victory, or the visit of a member of the British Royal Family.

And to me, the most British place in Canada is Southern Ontario. Although this area (especially Toronto) has attracted a large amount of new immigrants, many, many, many British settled down here:
- direct from Britain
- As loyalists in 1776
- Or disenchanted British-Americans in 1812 (some of my family came this route)

Town and city names in the area provide the best attestment to this.
Yeah. Saskatchewan is the least British of the English-speaking provinces. British Isles origin people (including Irish ) are only like 25% of the population there. In all of the other provinces except Quebec people of British Isles origins are still believed to be at least 50% of the population (in some cases much higher). Germans I believe are the largest single ethnic group in Sask, although they are not a majority. Sask is very mixed ethnically: 26% of one group, 22% of another, 17% of another, 12 of another, etc.

Manitoba is diverse too but as this poster said it is more British (and also more French) than Sask.

Note that all of this is changing rapidly at the moment, and the British Isles proportion in provinces like Ontario and BC (and even Alberta) is dropping like a stone.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I wonder what Joanne Kelley (Myka Bering on Warehouse 13) sounds like in her native Newfounfland dialect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada