Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,362,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Out of curiosity where did you live? I personally have never felt unsafe anywhere in the US, but I adapt pretty well everywhere I end up in the world.
I had a fiance in NYC, My son's godmother lives in the South Bronx and we used to visit often.
I got married and moved to California, and we lived in San Pedro.
When I visit friends in Montpelier, Vermont, I feel safe. In the big cities, not at all. The prison bars on all the windows dont help.
Last year, the lock on my front door was broken for several months and I'd just go to work leaving it unlocked. I could walk anywhere at any time of night without feeling worried.
I could never do that in a US city of comparable size,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
and the fact you can't get biscuits at KFC.
...or cornbread, anywhere. I love cornbread.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I personally have never felt unsafe anywhere in the US,
Are you a diminutive woman?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:22 PM

3,889 posts, read 5,316,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I had a fiance in NYC, My son's godmother lives in the South Bronx and we used to visit often.
I got married and moved to California, and we lived in San Pedro.
When I visit friends in Montpelier, Vermont, I feel safe. In the big cities, not at all. The prison bars on all the windows dont help.
Last year, the lock on my front door was broken for several months and I'd just go to work leaving it unlocked. I could walk anywhere at any time of night without feeling worried.
I could never do that in a US city of comparable size,
The South BX is rough obviously, but how on earth it is a fair representation of the entire country is beyond me. Your comfort level is not for me to judge, but saying you are uneasy in large cities in the US sounds a little bit paranoid.

As far as the locked door story is concerned, there are millions of households in the US that go through their entire lives without their homes being broken into. So whether or not the door was locked all that time wouldnt matter, because no one tried to break in. Funny how that works

Quote:
Are you a diminutive woman?
Quite the opposite actually, but if I was I would find the need to be cautious at times most places in the world, for obvious reasons.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:26 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,056,529 times
Quote:
They do? I've travelled a lot, but have yet to explore my own country. I don't think they dress very casually in Montreal, though. It's all hipster chic. You wouldn't catch women wearing jogging suits or pyjamas out in public.
I don't think any place in the US or Canada people wear pajama pants other than some people on college campus or the suburbs late at night or in morning that make a run to local grocery store.

Both countries people dress very casual .But overall girls in south and sun belt cities dress up bit more.I don't know about other places in Canada but Edmonton ,Saskatoon , Regina ,Hamilton and suburbs in Toronto it very common to see girls and guys dress in your typical house sleeping t-shirt , tights ,legging ,trackpants , sweatpants and so on. Where most people in the south and sun belt cities don't dress that casual.

If I'm not mistaken I think it is the state of Oregon and state of Washington in the US and east coast and north east part of US that dress just has casual has people in Canada.

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but no. I did not feel safe in the US.
Yes some cities like Detroit or Harlem will be major culture shock in terms not being safe.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The South BX is rough obviously, but how on earth it is a fair representation of the entire country is beyond me. Your comfort level is not for me to judge, but saying you are uneasy in large cities in the US sounds a little bit paranoid.

I did say I wasn't even talking about other cities in Canada, as I haven't been there. Having said that, I have travelled in the US, and cities of a comparable size to Montreal (3.8 Million in Greater Montreal) feel far less safe than this one.
If you want to call me paranoid, that's fine, but when even the people you're visiting tell you not to wander off and not to go outside after dark, there must be something to it.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,605,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Quite the opposite actually, but if I was I would find the need to be cautious at times most places in the world, for obvious reasons.
edwardsyzzurphands - I'd love to hear about your experiences in London. Based on your time there, how does the city and culture compare with that in NYC, Boston and Toronto?

Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,645,937 times
Quote:
I did say I wasn't even talking about other cities in Canada, as I haven't been there. Having said that, I have travelled in the US, and cities of a comparable size to Montreal (3.8 Million in Greater Montreal) feel far less safe than this one.
If you want to call me paranoid, that's fine, but when even the people you're visiting tell you not to wander off and not to go outside after dark, there must be something to it.
For me the difference between most American cities and Canadian cities in regards to safety is that in the U.S. there are a lot of cities that literally have " no go zones " where tourist shouldn't go because it is unsafe. In Canada we have areas that are down and out, but unsafe? Even the downtown east side in Vancouver is safe. Someone might feel uncomfortable but that's about it.
Tourists from the U.S. often comment on how safe they feel walking around downtown Vancouver at night.

Myself, I feel safe in Seattle, San Fran, NYC, San Diego, L.A., Portland Oregon, but then I know what areas to avoid. I also find the panhandlers more aggressive in general in the U.S. but I'm used to it.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,645,937 times
I wouldn't call it culture shock since there are so many things that are similar. I'd call it cultural readjustment.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,206,249 times
When I first moved to Canada, I moved to Quebec, but I circulated mostly in an English-speaking environment, particularly at my work place, so I didn't really find it to be any kind of a culture shock at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada