Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
Reputation: 34882

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
yep. damn biscuits stop right at the border!
I don't know why they stopped serving them. Years ago it used to be you could get the biscuits at KFC's here and they were good. I really liked them with their chicken gravy and would ask for extra biscuits as substitute for fries. I don't often get KFC but I think it must be at least a good 15 or more years now since KFC stopped serving biscuits here.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,536,616 times
Reputation: 9263
I find it strange that someone would experience culture shock when moving from USA to Canada or vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,602,075 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Come visit the west coast in summer if you want to see Canadian casual in public. Anything from PJ bottoms with old T-shirts to jogging suits to hippy tie-dyes and sweats to sequins and glitter to cowboy jeans and boots with biker jackets and even the occassional woman going topless while grocery shopping or riding her bike down the street. Power dressing seems to be reserved mostly for the 9-5 Monday-Friday crowd in the downtown business core of Vancouver city.

.
I live in downtown Vancouver and have for 30 years. I have never seen women shop topless. The only topless woman seen riding a bike may have been in some sort of protest like Critical Mass. If you've witnessed someone shopping it would be a one off, it is apparently legal though, as it is in Ontario.
I also have not seen anyone wearing PJ bottoms, even someone who is whacked. Sequins and glitter? Unless it was a costume or some people on the way to an event, I haven't seen that since the early 1980's.
The casual dress you do see are woman in yoga pants walking to and from yoga. People running the seawall or biking and are dress appropriately. People walking to and from the beaches downtown. In other words dressed for sport since it's all right here in the centre of town.
I do agree that Vancouver is very casual, and has a colourful crowd, like any city, but it's not a freak show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 AM
 
1,027 posts, read 2,053,692 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Come visit the west coast in summer if you want to see Canadian casual in public. Anything from PJ bottoms with old T-shirts to jogging suits to hippy tie-dyes and sweats to sequins and glitter to cowboy jeans and boots with biker jackets and even the occassional woman going topless while grocery shopping or riding her bike down the street. Power dressing seems to be reserved mostly for the 9-5 Monday-Friday crowd in the downtown business core of Vancouver city.

.
He means the west coast in Canada not the west coast in the US.

And normally people in southern US states and sun belt areas do not dress that casual that is Canadian thing.

The state in Florida is probably the most dress down state in the south but it mostly jeans or jean shorts / basketball shorts and t-shirt and some NASCARE look , ghetto look but not athletic wear or country look.

Last edited by sweat209; 05-11-2013 at 02:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 AM
 
1,027 posts, read 2,053,692 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I live in downtown Vancouver and have for 30 years. I have never seen women shop topless. The only topless woman seen riding a bike may have been in some sort of protest like Critical Mass. If you've witnessed someone shopping it would be a one off, it is apparently legal though, as it is in Ontario.
I also have not seen anyone wearing PJ bottoms, even someone who is whacked. Sequins and glitter? Unless it was a costume or some people on the way to an event, I haven't seen that since the early 1980's.
The casual dress you do see are woman in yoga pants walking to and from yoga. People running the seawall or biking and are dress appropriately. People walking to and from the beaches downtown. In other words dressed for sport since it's all right here in the centre of town.
I do agree that Vancouver is very casual, and has a colourful crowd, like any city, but it's not a freak show.
That look would be more in the suburbs not the city .And I have been in the US and Canada and I don't really see people in pajama pants .

From what I seen pajama pants are more thing on college campus and people in early morning or afternoon at the grocery store. Some people at walmart. Not think you see at mall or at the park or people going for run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 PM
 
266 posts, read 1,196,473 times
Reputation: 127
Doesn't it really depend on where you are moving from and to? Let's face it, there is so much diversity within the countries themselves - Canada has the Maritimes, the prairies, the west etc. and the US has the east and west coasts, the south... all so very different. I would have as much culture shock moving from the maritimes to Vancouver within Canada as I would moving to the states. I believe a northerner in the US would probably experience more culture shock moving to the southern states than moving to Ontario.

I moved from Sask. to Amish country in Pennsylvania then right after that to upstate NY then to Toronto. All were VERY different and I experienced culture shock each time - but the least of it was from upstate NY to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 10,829,689 times
Reputation: 2698
I think Kitty has stated it correctly. The culture shock is regional. If you live in the far west of NY (especially Erie, Niagara Counties), going to Toronto or any part of Canada withing 3 hours drive is less culture shock than being in even NYC ( and I grew up near NYC!). Many people who settled this area and southern Ontario were basically coming from the same places originally -- and I find it similar on both sides of the border. [My husband has family on both sides of the border, all of whom arrived from the British Isles and Germany in the 1700s and early 1800s]. I imagine the same thing goes on all along the US/Canada border: people pick an area they like, and it may be due to the weather, jobs, family heritage, etc... and that border doesn't change much. When we go to Michigan we go by driving thru Canada -- the big difference? Paying in Canadian cash between NY and back to US cash in MI. Spelling? We can pick out Canadian here by that; I am sure they can pick us out by that on the north side of the border.

Should I ever move to Canada, I think any "culture shock" would be the diffence of the government structure in Canada.I doubt it would be the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
Reputation: 34882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I live in downtown Vancouver and have for 30 years. I have never seen women shop topless. The only topless woman seen riding a bike may have been in some sort of protest like Critical Mass. If you've witnessed someone shopping it would be a one off, it is apparently legal though, as it is in Ontario.
I also have not seen anyone wearing PJ bottoms, even someone who is whacked. Sequins and glitter? Unless it was a costume or some people on the way to an event, I haven't seen that since the early 1980's.
The casual dress you do see are woman in yoga pants walking to and from yoga. People running the seawall or biking and are dress appropriately. People walking to and from the beaches downtown. In other words dressed for sport since it's all right here in the centre of town.
I do agree that Vancouver is very casual, and has a colourful crowd, like any city, but it's not a freak show.
Yeah but you've lived in Vancouver city for 30 years and I've lived in Vancouver city as well as all over the rest of the lower mainland and elsewhere further north for more than 65 years. Sometimes even in 2 or 3 locations at the same time.

You're talking about in the city of Vancouver and I'm talking about the lower mainland and BC west coast in general, including over on Vancouver Island and up at Whistler. BC you know, the west coast. If you expand your horizons and get out of the city of Vancouver, out into the suburbs and the lower mainland farming towns and go for a long stroll on the streets and into shopping centers you'll get a different perspective. Observe the clothes that people are dressed in in those places. You are not going to see power dressers and casual chic like you see in downtown Vancouver. You are going to see from the best of super casual to the worst of grunge. You want to see topless women riding their bikes around in public on streets and dikes or in the library or at the pool or doing their grocery shopping your best bet for seeing that is on the north side of the Fraser river out in the Fraser Valley towns and communities and parks. You won't see that in the city of Vancouver except for at Wreck Beach and there total nudity in both men and women is acceptable and even preferable and expected. People who are even partially dressed are not really welcomed there because nude people don't like lookie-loos who don't conform to the norm at that beach.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
 
1,027 posts, read 2,053,692 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yeah but you've lived in Vancouver city for 30 years and I've lived in Vancouver city as well as all over the rest of the lower mainland and elsewhere further north for more than 65 years. Sometimes even in 2 or 3 locations at the same time.

You're talking about in the city of Vancouver and I'm talking about the lower mainland and BC west coast in general, including over on Vancouver Island and up at Whistler. BC you know, the west coast. If you expand your horizons and get out of the city of Vancouver, out into the suburbs and the lower mainland farming towns and go for a long stroll on the streets and into shopping centers you'll get a different perspective. Observe the clothes that people are dressed in in those places. You are not going to see power dressers and casual chic like you see in downtown Vancouver. You are going to see from the best of super casual to the worst of grunge. You want to see topless women riding their bikes around in public on streets and dikes or in the library or at the pool or doing their grocery shopping your best bet for seeing that is on the north side of the Fraser river out in the Fraser Valley towns and communities and parks. You won't see that in the city of Vancouver except for at Wreck Beach and there total nudity in both men and women is acceptable and even preferable and expected. People who are even partially dressed are not really welcomed there because nude people don't like lookie-loos who don't conform to the norm at that beach.

.
Natnasci he is probably talking about suburbs like Burnaby ,Richmond ,Surrey ,Delta , Coquitlam , Port Coquitlam , Langleyand New Westminster.

People in city and urban core will be different than the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Canada
14,735 posts, read 15,106,235 times
Reputation: 34882
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Natnasci he is probably talking about suburbs like Burnaby ,Richmond ,Surrey ,Delta , Coquitlam , Port Coquitlam , Langleyand New Westminster.

People in city and urban core will be different than the suburbs.
Sure, I'm including those suburbs of metro Vancouver. However, in the entire lower mainland which is including metro Vancouver and its immediate suburbs and the upper and lower Fraser Valley, there are 83 cities, towns and communities. The further away you get from metro Vancouver and its immediate suburb communities the more casual people are in their manner of dress.

The most common things you'll see people of all ages and genders wearing are jeans, T-shirts, sneakers and a baseball cap and if the weather gets a bit chilly they wear hoodies over that.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top