Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,597,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yeah but you've lived in Vancouver city for 30 years and I've lived in Vancouver city as well as all over the rest of the lower mainland and elsewhere further north for more than 65 years. Sometimes even in 2 or 3 locations at the same time.

You're talking about in the city of Vancouver and I'm talking about the lower mainland and BC west coast in general, including over on Vancouver Island and up at Whistler. BC you know, the west coast. If you expand your horizons and get out of the city of Vancouver, out into the suburbs and the lower mainland farming towns and go for a long stroll on the streets and into shopping centers you'll get a different perspective. Observe the clothes that people are dressed in in those places. You are not going to see power dressers and casual chic like you see in downtown Vancouver. You are going to see from the best of super casual to the worst of grunge. You want to see topless women riding their bikes around in public on streets and dikes or in the library or at the pool or doing their grocery shopping your best bet for seeing that is on the north side of the Fraser river out in the Fraser Valley towns and communities and parks. You won't see that in the city of Vancouver except for at Wreck Beach and there total nudity in both men and women is acceptable and even preferable and expected. People who are even partially dressed are not really welcomed there because nude people don't like lookie-loos who don't conform to the norm at that beach.

Yes I did think you were talking about the city of Vancouver. Yes I understand the " dress code " is very different the further out you go since i have travelled and have lived in B.C. for 55 years. Still curious though, where the heck did you see a topless woman shopping in a grocery store?
Women are allowed to be topless on all Vancouver beaches, they just don't do it because they probably feel uncomfortable, however you do see sometimes at the far end of Third Beach in Stanley Park.
Wreck Beach has changed over the years. I first went in 1974. Some weekends it's 70 percent dressed now whereas it used to be only a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,099,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

...... Still curious though, where the heck did you see a topless woman shopping in a grocery store?
Women are allowed to be topless on all Vancouver beaches, they just don't do it because they probably feel uncomfortable, however you do see sometimes at the far end of Third Beach in Stanley Park........
Maple Ridge, Mission, Harrison, and not just in grocery stores. There are several Topfreedom advocates/activists on the north side of the Fraser River from about PoCo all the way out to Harrison and Hope. So although it's definitely not a common occurence it's still not unknown in the warm summer months to see Topfreedom advocates somewhere in some very public facility or location. Most other people out and about just ignore it or pretend they didn't notice.

Topfreedom for women is not illegal or restricted to just beaches in BC (unless, I think, if somebody commits an act of assault on others with their breasts) and some gals are quite determined about exercising their rights to go topfree publically, but just because women can do it does not mean most women would want to.

Topfreedom in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2013, 05:46 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,437,184 times
North Americans need to make a religious cult out of everything, don't they?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Maple Ridge, Mission, Harrison, and not just in grocery stores. There are several Topfreedom advocates/activists on the north side of the Fraser River from about PoCo all the way out to Harrison and Hope. So although it's definitely not a common occurence it's still not unknown in the warm summer months to see Topfreedom advocates somewhere in some very public facility or location. Most other people out and about just ignore it or pretend they didn't notice.

Topfreedom for women is not illegal or restricted to just beaches in BC (unless, I think, if somebody commits an act of assault on others with their breasts) and some gals are quite determined about exercising their rights to go topfree publically, but just because women can do it does not mean most women would want to.

I go to Maple Ridge every week to take my elderly mother shopping...I don't think I'll mention this to her, it might give her ideas

Old 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,053,327 times
Quote:

Metro Vancouver must have numbers of hippies and nudism type people.

Well Americans normal do not dress that casual or the type casual at least the southern and sunbelt areas..

Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM

796 posts, read 1,163,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
They have banks open late in the U.S., and health clinics in shopping centers.
Most banks are open 9 am - 4 pm Mon thru Sat, and 9 am - 1 pm on Saturdays. Few have open an hour or two longer. Similar to Canadas major cities.

Not all malls have health clinics.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Most banks are open 9 am - 4 pm Mon thru Sat, and 9 am - 1 pm on Saturdays. Few have open an hour or two longer. Similar to Canadas major cities.

Not all malls have health clinics.
In Vancouver, like elsewhere it depends on the bank. Toronto Dominion I believe is open the most with credit unions probably close behind. For instance my local TD is open Mon-Wed 8am to 6pm, Thu-Fri 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 4pm and Sunday 11am to 4pm.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:58 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,053,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I say it as roof [maybe it's that double "oo" - explaination found later in this post]. We lived up near Rochester, NY. Maybe the way you heard it perhaps they were just joking? We had a comedian in our house - my Dad. He would say to our dog, "what's on top of the house?" and of course, the dog does his bark which is more of a ruff than a roof but you get the picture, right? That's how we jokingly sometimes say ruff rather than roof. Maybe there are some that make the 'oo' sound in roof, more like an a sound but I thought that was more like when it's only one o in the word rather than a double oo together? I'm somewhat guilty saying the word, rock or Rochester with an a in place of the o but it's only with certain words. I can't do it too much with words like word or soft but words like hot and rock, well... guilty as charged .

I don't think the Canadians way of saying things or doing things is strange but I'm sure it might take a while to get used to just as it might be for them when it comes to the U.S. Maybe some are already use to hearing words said a different way because they have a close friend or relative/s that live on the other side of the border or that they themselves have spent a considerable amount of time in either place? I know for myself doing the metric may be more challenging as I'm not used to it but then I'm not a pro at the US version of measurements either. I'd at least prefer picking up on languages than doing any kind of math and some of
my friends and/or relatives would probably choose math over language.

I don't know about the banks opening later as even in the US, some are open later than others. As for the athletic centers or sports centers - some malls or big shopping and residential areas do have these. There's
alot of shopping and recreational that was purposely built around a residential center in Northern Virginia. Actually I'm not sure if the idea of the shopping and recreational was purposely built around the residential area or vice versa. In either case, I think it's a great idea. I wish more places had that option but with that, more than likely, the prices would be signficantly higher. Still, there's a number of people who would support such a complex. I might even be tempted but alot would depend on how much it would cost me, and the advantages/disadvantages if one has any pets.

Here is how Americans pronounce this . Click on the icon to hear audio sample

dollar Dollar | Define Dollar at Dictionary.com

roof Roof | Define Roof at Dictionary.com

about About | Define About at Dictionary.com

house House | Define House at Dictionary.com

sound Sound | Define Sound at Dictionary.com

Here is how Canadians pronounce this.

Check out English - definition of English by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Click on icon to hear audio sample on how Canadians pronounce this.

For Canadians who want to sound more like Americans if you where to move to US or for Americans who want to sound like CanadiansWork on words ( roof , dollar and sorry ) And every thing you know of diphthong OU forget it and relearn it.

The diphthong OU is very different in Canada.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,596,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I don't think any place in the US or Canada people wear pajama pants other than some people on college campus or the suburbs late at night or in morning that make a run to local grocery store.

Both countries people dress very casual .But overall girls in south and sun belt cities dress up bit more.I don't know about other places in Canada but Edmonton ,Saskatoon , Regina ,Hamilton and suburbs in Toronto it very common to see girls and guys dress in your typical house sleeping t-shirt , tights ,legging ,trackpants , sweatpants and so on. Where most people in the south and sun belt cities don't dress that casual.

If I'm not mistaken I think it is the state of Oregon and state of Washington in the US and east coast and north east part of US that dress just has casual has people in Canada.

Yes some cities like Detroit or Harlem will be major culture shock in terms not being safe.
I can see that you have never been the Walmart in Benton Harbour Michigan???? LOL
While my wife was having a snooze in the truck I just sat outside on the bench and was amazed by the getups those folks wear.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:27 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,304,979 times
I definitively felt a bit of culture shock going to Vancouver and comparing the city to Los Angeles.

The biggest cultural differences I noticed was the metric system, bilingual French/English on packages and signs, generally nicer/less competitive people, British spellings, British like candies, and the fact the inner city areas were cleaner.

Another big difference I noticed was the lack of the Inner city urban culture in Vancouver. There was drug vagrants in Vancouver. But in most of the larger American cities, there is a common inner city urban culture that I didn't see in Vancouver. Which might be similar to other large Canadian cities. This is from the fact that Canada never had a White Flight/Abandonment effect like American cities do.

Last edited by hipcat; 05-18-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada