Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I definitively felt a bit of culture shock going to Vancouver and comparing the city to Los Angeles.

The biggest cultural differences I noticed was the metric system, bilingual French/English on packages and signs, generally nicer/less competitive people, British spellings, British like candies, and the fact the inner city areas were cleaner.

Another big difference I noticed was the lack of the Inner city urban culture in Vancouver. There was drug vagrants in Vancouver. But in most of the larger American cities, there is a common inner city urban culture that I didn't see in Vancouver. Which might be similar to other large Canadian cities. This is from the fact that Canada never had a White Flight/Abandonment effect like American cities do.
What do you mean by Inner city urban culture.

The city of Vancouver is really like no other city in the US and Canada it has high diversity from people all over world living there .

Also do to geography the city is limited to where it can spread out too so is normally very dense .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post

The Canadian raising the phenomena where it sounds like they are asking a question all the time.
I didn't know this was a purely Canadian thing (I thought all Anglo-Saxons did it) but it drives me NUTS! Most offenders are women.

"So, I was like, walking on the street? And then, he like asked me out? So I said awesome! And then he like kissed me?"

It drives me NUTS!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
What do you mean by Inner city urban culture.

The city of Vancouver is really like no other city in the US and Canada it has high diversity from people all over world living there .

Also do to geography the city is limited to where it can spread out too so is normally very dense .
Inner city urban culture means "ghetto" culture, as practiced not only by inner city African Americans, but also hispanics, whites and people from other racial groups that were culturally influenced by "ghetto" African American culture in the inner city. Canada's urban underclass has much, much less of that because we only have a few tiny pockets of old stock blacks descended from African Americans, that demographic is largely unique to America and so that cultural influence is basically absent from Vancouver (although Caribbeans and old stock African Canadians bring something similar but not identical to the cities of Toronto and Montreal, to a somewhat lesser extent then you'd find in the US). Vancouver has gang culture, but it's often biker, Sikh street gangs in Surrey, and Triads.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Inner city urban culture means "ghetto" culture, as practiced not only by inner city African Americans, but also hispanics, whites and people from other racial groups that were culturally influenced by "ghetto" African American culture in the inner city. Canada's urban underclass has much, much less of that because we only have a few tiny pockets of old stock blacks descended from African Americans, that demographic is largely unique to America and so that cultural influence is basically absent from Vancouver (although Caribbeans and old stock African Canadians bring something similar but not identical to the cities of Toronto and Montreal, to a somewhat lesser extent then you'd find in the US). Vancouver has gang culture, but it's often biker, Sikh street gangs in Surrey, and Triads.
I'm sure other people can say more about this than me but from what I understand in Canada there is more emphasize on the downtown living and preserving the downtown .The US culture of white fight and overcrowding of North East US cities caused major move to southern US and west so the idea of living in condo or apartment was so popular in US .

Many Americans thought that black people where less of person and very dangerous living close by them this caused many white people to move to the suburbs.Little if any money gone into downtown area because no one wanted to live in area by blacks and above store or in apartment.This why many downtown are ghetto .

Where in Canada there is more emphasize on the downtown.The idea of living house is not strong in Canada. Toronto ,Montreal and Vancouver are very important cities to people Canada so there is lot of money being put into emphasize down town living.Just in past 10 years the downtown has had major change of many new condos.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Also other thing that more of US culture is hood/ ghetto where Canada does not really have this .In the hood/ ghetto you talk different way , behavior different way and dress mean or tough like you from the hood/ ghetto or like a gangster.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
I'm sure other people can say more about this than me but from what I understand in Canada there is more emphasize on the downtown living and preserving the downtown .The US culture of white fight and overcrowding of North East US cities caused major move to southern US and west so the idea of living in condo or apartment was so popular in US .

Many Americans thought that black people where less of person and very dangerous living close by them this caused many white people to move to the suburbs.Little if any money gone into downtown area because no one wanted to live in area by blacks and above store or in apartment.This why many downtown are ghetto .

Where in Canada there is more emphasize on the downtown.The idea of living house is not strong in Canada. Toronto ,Montreal and Vancouver are very important cities to people Canada so there is lot of money being put into emphasize down town living.Just in past 10 years the downtown has had major change of many new condos.
In the United States there actually seems to be a lot of people moving back into the cities, downtown's are building a lot of residential, public transportation is improving.
you wouldn't believe how many cities have some sort of rail line under construction.
problem is they are focusing a lot on light rail transit and not so much in heavy rail transit.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I didn't know this was a purely Canadian thing (I thought all Anglo-Saxons did it) but it drives me NUTS! Most offenders are women.

"So, I was like, walking on the street? And then, he like asked me out? So I said awesome! And then he like kissed me?"

It drives me NUTS!
Quote:
Canadian raising refers to either of two similar sound changes that occur in a number of North American varieties of the English language, in which certain diphthongs are "raised" before voiceless consonants
No idea what is is voiceless consonant.

Quote:
The first variant, "classic" Canadian raising, occurs largely in Canadian English and in certain nearby areas of the northern United States, and affects both // and //.
I think Wikipedia means ai and ou not au.

Quote:
This results in the stereotypical Canadian pronunciation of about as "aboot"

Yes because in the US the diphthongs ou is different to people in Canada it sound like they are saying abart to people in Canada.

Quote:
A second variant with a much larger distribution across many parts of the United States affects only //, and results in differing pronunciations of the first vowel in the words rider and writer.
I think Wikipedia made a mistake there are no diphthongs in rider and writer.

Canadian raising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 AM

291 posts, read 476,335 times
Quote:
No idea what is is voiceless consonant.
Voiced consonants: b, d, m, n, l, r, z, v - you can't say them without making a sound
Voiceless: k, f, p, t, s - you can say them without making a sound
Quote:
I think Wikipedia means ai and ou not au.
No, learn some basic IPA.
found = /faʊnd/ in IPA.
Quote:
I think Wikipedia made a mistake there are no diphthongs in rider and writer.
What do you think the "ai" sound in those words is?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 AM

196 posts, read 424,328 times
Quote:

Good thread on this subject here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...n-ghettos.html

Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
I think of Canadian culture as being American culture but without a lot of the things that make America what it is. People aren't passionate about politics and there's not a strong libertarian or conservative movement. Canadians aren't terrified of their government stripping away their freedoms generally speaking.

There isn't much of a distinct Black Canadian culture and Hispanic influence is almost nil, though Mexican food seems to be becoming more popular up there. Canada has different influential minorities - the French Canadians, Newfies, First Nations, Chinese, and Indians.

Hockey is just another sport in America and is only popular in certain states. In Canada it's religion. They even have hockey players on their five dollar bill! Two things unite all of Canada from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland - love of hockey and reverence for national healthcare. If neither of those existed I honestly think Canada would have split into separate countries or joined the United States a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada