Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times
Reputation: 9789

Advertisements

Quote:

I find the pro-Morgentaler and anti-religious comments following this and
other columns regarding the man's death sickening. So much for civilized
Canada, eh?
I just finished reading about half of them. The responses have been thoughtful, rational and generally polite. Which ones did you find so sickening?
You don't think Canadians aren't civilized? Don't come here. And stop obsessing about every aspect and minutiae of Canadian life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
 
291 posts, read 476,738 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Freedom of belief is also the cornerstone of a free and civilized society. Do you think atheists alone can lay claim to the title of civilized?
Blind faith in the unrealistic tales of an old book or the comments of a fancily-dressed old man is hardly a characteristic of a civilized person.
Agnostic theism or agnostic deism? Maybe. Religion? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 PM
 
1,863 posts, read 5,152,203 times
Reputation: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Freedom of belief is also the cornerstone of a free and civilized society. Do you think atheists alone can lay claim to the title of civilized?
I think, Canadians are free enough to believe (or not to believe) in anything they choose to believe in. Nobody takes this freedom from you in Canada.

Just keep those beliefs out of government, politics and public life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,363 posts, read 8,417,425 times
Reputation: 5260
I am an atheist, but I find it hypocritical that some people find it perfectly ok to critisize christianity yet defend or hesitate to critisize Islam. Why is that?? I have seen it several times on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM
 
291 posts, read 476,738 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am an atheist, but I find it hypocritical that some people find it perfectly ok to critisize christianity yet defend or hesitate to critisize Islam. Why is that?? I have seen it several times on this forum.
Because they don't want to perpetuate the (according to them) unfair criticism on Islam that is based on the actions of a few radicals and not the "moderates," though I suspect it also has something to do with not wanting to be seen as "close-minded" and "intolerant" as the biggest opponents of Islam - Christians.

That's what happens when politics override rationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times
Reputation: 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am an atheist, but I find it hypocritical that some people find it perfectly ok to critisize christianity yet defend or hesitate to critisize Islam. Why is that?? I have seen it several times on this forum.
I have many Muslim friends and they have never once tried to convert me, question my morals, threaten me with hellfire, teach creationism in schools or come to my door, asking me if "I've heard the good news."
That being said, if I hear of Muslims wanting to change the menu in the cafeteria to halal, insisting on wearing the niqab in a government setting or demanding sharia law, I'm the first to speak out.
You're religious? Fine and good. However, that's between you and your particular god. It has NO business in a secular government and country. I don't care WHAT you do at home. You can speak in tongues, worship Satan or handle snakes for all I care. Just leave it at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 02:32 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I have many Muslim friends and they have never once tried to convert me, question my morals, threaten me with hellfire, teach creationism in schools or come to my door, asking me if "I've heard the good news."
That being said, if I hear of Muslims wanting to change the menu in the cafeteria to halal, insisting on wearing the niqab in a government setting or demanding sharia law, I'm the first to speak out.
You're religious? Fine and good. However, that's between you and your particular god. It has NO business in a secular government and country. I don't care WHAT you do at home. You can speak in tongues, worship Satan or handle snakes for all I care. Just leave it at home.
Same here,
its my Atheist friends who do things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Montreal, Quebec
15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times
Reputation: 9789
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Same here,
its my Atheist friends who do things like that.
Your atheist friends threaten you with hellfire, want to teach creationism in schools and come to your door, preaching? I somehow doubt that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Your atheist friends threaten you with hellfire, want to teach creationism in schools and come to your door, preaching? I somehow doubt that.
Not exactly
but they complain about people pushing their religious beliefs down their throat even though they push their atheist beliefs down peoples throat.

oh, and don't even get me started on that "holiday tree" crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,940,421 times
Reputation: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I have many Muslim friends and they have never once tried to convert me, question my morals, threaten me with hellfire, teach creationism in schools or come to my door, asking me if "I've heard the good news."
A nearby neighbour of mine is a Mormon. He came to my door recently, asking if I'd heard the good news - He'd been watching hockey and wanted me to know that Vancouver had lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top