Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,348,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not exactly
but they complain about people pushing their religious beliefs down their throat even though they push their atheist beliefs down peoples throat.

oh, and don't even get me started on that "holiday tree" crap.
First of all, people don't share one collective throat.

Secondly, how about NO expressions of belief in the public sphere? You're not OK with that, I guess. If it's YOUR particular belief, like nativity scenes at the city hall, Christmas trees or cheerleaders spouting psalms at high school football games, then it's fine, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,002 times
My aunt was flabbergasted when I told her I didn't believe in God. She asked me how I could NOT believe, and I said the same way you don't believe in Zeus. Or Apollo. Or Horus. Or [insert any other God that used to be worshiped for hundreds if not thousands of years]. All Gods die when people stop believing in them.

People can have their religion. At home. Let's keep the workings of society and government secular.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM
pdw

2,692 posts, read 3,110,996 times
There are many things I admire about communism but state atheism isn't one of them. Look into the oppression of Roman Catholics in the People's Republic of China. I am not against muslims or atheists or jews or any religion. I think all beliefs should be respected and that people shouldn't have to hide their faith. Look how Christian politicians are looked upon in France. It's like they have to hide their faith to be listened to. All religions have a place in society. This whole Sharia law scare is ridiculous. Why do you think muslim immigrants to Canada leave their home countries in the first place? Religion may be used as an excuse for evil, but it is not a cause of it.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM

103 posts, read 169,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
There are many things I admire about communism but state atheism isn't one of them. Look into the oppression of Roman Catholics in the People's Republic of China. I am not against muslims or atheists or jews or any religion. I think all beliefs should be respected and that people shouldn't have to hide their faith. Look how Christian politicians are looked upon in France. It's like they have to hide their faith to be listened to. All religions have a place in society. This whole Sharia law scare is ridiculous. Why do you think muslim immigrants to Canada leave their home countries in the first place? Religion may be used as an excuse for evil, but it is not a cause of it.
The thing is there are some that do want Sharia Law in Canada now will it ever happen maybe not but people are pushing for it.

Last edited by jayme2015; 06-05-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
The thing is there are some that do want Sharia Law in Canadanow will it ever happen maybe not but people are pushing for it.
Who, exactly? I don't know a single muslim who wants sharia law. Practising your religion in public and being proud of it isn't the same thing as making it a state religion. And if people want to strip muslims of their right to wear religious clothing, they deserve a slap.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM

291 posts, read 476,989 times
Quote:
Look how Christian politicians are looked upon in France. It's like they have to hide their faith to be listened to.
Well, sorry but I don't think it's unreasonable to not take someone seriously when they believe the ridiculous tales of an old book without taking into consideration all the scientific discoveries that were made since it was written, and who believe an old guy who is chosen by a bunch of other old guys is somehow "God's" official messenger.

If the book in question were something on Greek gods, African mythology, or Harry Potter, these people would be laughed at and considered nuts. Yet if it's the Bible or some other religious books which is just as unrealistic and clearly not factual, then ohhhh, yeah, they deserve to be taken seriously.

It's simply ridiculous. Just because most people believe in something, doesn't mean it's true, or reasonable to believe in it.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
Well, sorry but I don't think it's unreasonable to not take someone seriously when they believe the ridiculous tales of an old book without taking into consideration all the scientific discoveries that were made since it was written, and who believe an old guy who is chosen by a bunch of other old guys is somehow "God's" official messenger.

If the book in question were something on Greek gods, African mythology, or Harry Potter, these people would be laughed at and considered nuts. Yet if it's the Bible or some other religious books which is just as unrealistic and clearly not factual, then ohhhh, yeah, they deserve to be taken seriously.

It's simply ridiculous. Just because most people believe in something, doesn't mean it's true, or reasonable to believe in it.
Darwin was a white supremacist eugenicist who wanted to exterminate the black race, but you take him more seriously than a Christian politician.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,316,551 times
Quote:
Darwin was a white supremacist eugenicist who wanted to exterminate the black race, but you take him more seriously than a Christian politician.
You had me up until "politician".

Religion should be like your penis. You can be proud of it, you can get a lot of enjoyment from it, you can even worship it and let it guide your thoughts, but you shouldn't expect everyone else to feel the same and don't whip it out in public.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM

103 posts, read 169,961 times
Quote:
Who, exactly? I don't know a single muslim who wants sharia law. Practising your religion in public and being proud of it isn't the same thing as making it a state religion. And if people want to strip muslims of their right to wear religious clothing, they deserve a slap.
In Ontario about 10 years ago there was a group that was pushing for Sharia Law now Dalton did the right thing and said no but it will just bee a matter of time before it comes up again bottom line is all groups should be treated the same that means non MUslims should be able to wear there religious items as well.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,431,616 times
Quote:
You must not know many muslims or watch the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada