Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM

564 posts, read 1,042,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
And that makes it ok to ban the lords prayer in the morning but allow muslims in Canadian schools to have prayer rooms? Give me a break. Since islam is a "highly ritualized" religion and there are many things that the quran dictates as mandatory, should we allow them to have sharia law too? Where do we draw the line?
The Lord's Prayer would be broadcast to the entire class and/or school. No one who is not a Muslim needs to visit or participate in the Muslim prayer room. I don't like religion in any school or public institution; I am only trying to understand why certain things might be permitted and others are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
Ya but thats going down a very slippery slope you can't really say there should be no religion in public places but then say for certain groups it should be that would create a all types of issues.
I don't say it should be allowed. My ideal society is one that is completely religion-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,845,960 times
I'll bet this photo will warm the cockles of some of your hearts.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,441,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
The Lord's Prayer would be broadcast to the entire class and/or school. No one who is not a Muslim needs to visit or participate in the Muslim prayer room. I don't like religion in any school or public institution.
I am not advocating for the lords prayer, SO I agree with that. but making excpetions for other religions is not acceptable. No one who is not muslim should have a muslims prayer room in their school.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,354,978 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayme2015

In Ontario people will say on one hand
Christians etc should not be able to pray in school yet on the other hand many
schools have pray rooms for Muslims i have nothing against any group but all
should face the same rule and be treated equal we should not have special rules
for certain groups.
I don't know of any special Muslim prayer rooms in any public schools in Quebec.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Good lord. The neo-atheists have showed up. This is reminding me of everything Canadians profess to hate about the US - fanaticism and intolerance.

The God wars
Interesting article.

"By "neo-atheism", I mean a tripartite belief system founded on the conviction that science provides the only road to truth and that all religions are deluded, irrational and destructive."

I don't think science provides the ONLY path, just the best one we currently have, and one that is much better than faith.

Becoming even more confused, Dawkins exclaimed in his response: "Oh, God!"
“Immediately he was out of control, he said, 'Oh, God!'" Warsi recalls, "so even the most self-confessed secular fundamentalist at this moment of need needed to turn to the Almighty. It kind of defeats his own argument that only people who go to church have a faith."

This is just silly. Unable to separate an expression of faith from a commonly used expression of frustration (and at other times, profound sensual pleasure)? It seems this person does not have any sense of context.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,354,978 times
Quote:

Becoming even more confused, Dawkins exclaimed in his response: "Oh,
God!"
“Immediately he was out of control, he said, 'Oh, God!'" Warsi
recalls, "so even the most self-confessed secular fundamentalist at this moment
of need needed to turn to the Almighty. It kind of defeats his own argument
that only people who go to church have a faith."

How utterly idiotic. I say "Oh God!" all the time, especially when I'm having "fun with friction". It's in no way an appeal to a deity.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 06-05-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 12:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,547,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
My aunt was flabbergasted when I told her I didn't believe in God. She asked me how I could NOT believe, and I said the same way you don't believe in Zeus. Or Apollo. Or Horus. Or [insert any other God that used to be worshiped for hundreds if not thousands of years]. All Gods die when people stop believing in them.

People can have their religion. At home.
Let's keep the workings of society and government secular.
Ditto with Atheism.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,547,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
In Ontario people will say on one hand Christians etc should not be able to pray in school yet on the other hand many schools have pray rooms for Muslims i have nothing against any group but all should face the same rule and be treated equal we should not have special rules for certain groups.
Agree, you have a choice to not participate in the prayer.
When i went to school, many kids didnt stand for the Pledge of Allegiance because it has the word "God" in it.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:57 PM
pdw

2,702 posts, read 3,118,354 times
I agree that we shouldn't broadcast the Lord's Prayer in public schools, and I'm a Christian. I do, however, believe there should be a much longer moment of silence after O Canada. That way it lets people of all religions say a little prayer before their school day begins. The one we have now is far too short. We need to make it at least 1 minute. When you say "eliminate religion from the public sphere" and you mean banning crucifix necklaces, turbans, hijabs and yarmulkes in public schools or banning memorials containing crosses in public parks or not allowing politicians to acknowledge their own religious beliefs; that's where I cross the line. That's state atheism.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,622,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I agree that we shouldn't broadcast the Lord's Prayer in public schools, and I'm a Christian. I do, however, believe there should be a much longer moment of silence after O Canada. That way it lets people of all religions say a little prayer before their school day begins. The one we have now is far too short. We need to make it at least 1 minute. When you say "eliminate religion from the public sphere" and you mean banning crucifix necklaces, turbans, hijabs and yarmulkes in public schools or banning memorials containing crosses in public parks or not allowing politicians to acknowledge their own religious beliefs; that's where I cross the line. That's state atheism.
No it's not state atheism. It's the state not supporting or pushing one religion over the other. Big difference than saying God does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada