U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM

10,062 posts, read 11,816,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
Because people who have even a minimal amount of intelligence are atheists.

I guess the new President of our local university is incompetent because he belongs to my church.
I guess three of our local Certified Public Accountants are frauds because they belong to my church.
I guess both of my hometown's pediatricians are quacks because they belong to my church.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM

292 posts, read 451,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I guess the new President of our local university is incompetent because he belongs to my church.
I guess three of our local Certified Public Accountants are frauds because they belong to my church.
I guess both of my hometown's pediatricians are quacks because they belong to my church.

You don't seem to understand the difference between skills and intelligence.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 PM

15,084 posts, read 13,725,458 times
MOS....how would you feel if I told you I'm an ardent believer in Santa Claus? That I'm absolutely convinced he exists, lives at the North Pole and has flying reindeer?
Even if I was the Surgeon General, wouldn't you regard me with a modicum of suspicion?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
You don't seem to understand the difference between skills and intelligence.

You state that only atheists can be intelligent. Prove it!

Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM

17,527 posts, read 13,271,193 times
Intelligent people can have faith, I know some. For me though, it's the ones who are literal believers in whatever religion that they subscribe to that I become suspicious of. The religious folks I know and whom I consider intelligent seem to more spiritual than dogmatic. They may still " belong " to a particular sect, but take the rituals etc with a grain of salt. They are probably on the path to being agnostic, but for whatever reason still subscribe to a particular faith.
My aunt is uber catholic. She is a lovely smart woman. However, I see her faith as a crutch. She loves structure and black and white answers for everything.
She follows whatever the church says. Whether that's being buried facing east for the rapture, or not being cremated before a mass with your body is said in church. The fact that the Catholic Church changed their minds on cremation, doesn't seem to make her question, is it god or humankind that is making the rules.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM

292 posts, read 451,530 times
Quote:
You state that only atheists can be intelligent. Prove it!
An intelligent person is someone who acts based on logic and rationality. Believing in something that has not been proven to exist, and whose very existence is extremely unlikely and paradoxical in many ways, is neither logical nor rational.
I don't doubt that someone can be very good at some- or many things and still be religious, but ultimately they cannot be considered intelligent .

Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM

To me, belief in God is exactly like believing in Santa. He watches you all the time, knowing if you're sleeping or awake, knowing if you've been bad or good.
If you've been good you'll be rewarded with a nice parting gift. If you've been bad, you'll burn in hell just like that lump of coal.
A lot of people subscribe to religion. It doesn't make them bad pediatricians or accountants. They just believe in superstition.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 PM

I hope I meet Welshschmaltz and Pappacrappa one day. I will give you some "Southern Hospitality" you won't forget! If you know what's good for you, don't come down here propagating your atheist know-it-all crapola!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I hope I meet Welshschmaltz and Pappacrappa one day. I will give you some "Southern Hospitality" you won't forget! If you know what's good for you, don't come down here propagating your atheist know-it-all crapola!
Ooooh, I'm shaking in my stilettoes.
The Mouldy Old Christian is threatening me. I be skeered.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM

4,857 posts, read 9,943,551 times
Quote:
Now that's too much Mouldy! You're losing your temper and getting carried away again like you do sometimes. There's nothing productive at all about what you just said and all you've done is toss a poison pill into this conversation by lashing out and threatening violence. That ends the nice open conversation we were having and can do nothing but turn everyone defensive and emotional. The actions of a coward who suddenly realized he didn't like people freely sharing ideas on the topic he himself introduced into this thread.

First of all, we were discussing the demographic realities of religion in Canada, using statistics and anecdotes about how Canada at large operates, it was not focused on talking about our individual beliefs so much until you specifically asked Atheists to tell you about why they were Atheists and had the beliefs they had. People complied with your request, the beliefs seemed like myths without a firm backing to them, and rather then give a little anecdote about why you have strong feelings the other way about it and why you believe as you do and feel others should to, all you did was get frustrated and threaten with impotent physical violence, which is the last resort of the intellectually lazy or those who don't have a good justification for their beliefs but are too stubborn to be honest with themselves about their reasons for believing the things they believe. How shameful of you! People opened up to you and you betrayed that trust by acting like they were the ones forcing those opinions on you unbidden, like you hadn't asked for it, just because they gave you a different answer then the one you wanted to hear. If you have a good reason for believing in God, share it. This is a battle ground of ideas where violence and physical power have no sway and can not advance your cause one bit. If you can't rigourously justify your beliefs, you have no business criticizing others for theirs, and certainly no business threatening them with harm like some pathetic coward too afraid to spar properly in the arena of ideas and face the possibility of having to question and properly justify the foundations of his own philosophical belief system. A truly courageous man rejoices at the opportunity to debate and perhaps gain a deeper insight into the truth of the world through that exercise, an opportunity to gain greater wisdom.

Now, I'll conclude by telling you that the original conversation we were having was totally appropriate for this thread and forum, but what you're starting to do now is not. You ought to bring a thread to the Atheism or Religion forum and debate atheism there if you want to do that, this thread ought to have less narrow a focus and should be more centred on examining religion in all of its forms throughout the borders of Canada. I was going to share my own life's story and how I became an Atheist, but I don't think you deserve that trust anymore considering how you've decided to behave like some child, throwing a tantrum, rather then like a rationale, mature adult who has the balls and conviction to deal properly with divergent viewpoints. If you take it over there, I'll gladly talk things over. Check the ego, pride, and tantrums, but keep the passion, and we ought to be fine.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 05-14-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada