Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 06:31 AM

2,342 posts, read 1,503,614 times

Advertisements

I did not see that coming, I knew his leadership was under scrutiny and that the result would be tight, but once he said he would accept the 50% + 1 decisions I though the would stay on and fight, granted 51.4 % is not great but only 38000 of some 60000 eligible voted so those that could not be bothered probably were not that upset by his leadership. Frankly given the dissent amongst his MPPs and party members was about his handling of pandemic restrictions, which for the most part are behind us I done see much value in causing more rifts by undergoing a new leadership battle, and I though the would have the kohones to ride this out and carry on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 07:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,383,770 times
I was of the same mind as you Porterjack.

I'm now wondering if; after indicating publicly that a 50 + 1% would be enough to keep him in the fight, he is simply showing he's resigning due to being "miffed" at the outcome, OR, what I would prefer to think, is his realizing that the response of the voters within his party indicates they'd never coalesce to form a strong unified front under his reign.

That last would indicate he's thinking more of the party and Alberta's welfare than his own fractured ego.

In my .02 cents opinion only; sooner rather than later, it would be in the best interests of "Canada as a whole" to address a couple of the grievances the western provinces have as per elections leaving them thinking their Federal votes are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Old 05-19-2022, 07:28 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,508,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I did not see that coming, I knew his leadership was under scrutiny and that the result would be tight, but once he said he would accept the 50% + 1 decisions I though the would stay on and fight, granted 51.4 % is not great but only 38000 of some 60000 eligible voted so those that could not be bothered probably were not that upset by his leadership. Frankly given the dissent amongst his MPPs and party members was about his handling of pandemic restrictions, which for the most part are behind us I done see much value in causing more rifts by undergoing a new leadership battle, and I though the would have the kohones to ride this out and carry on
He has been a divisive, conniving presence and he could not carry on. Something had to give. In the end, that something was him. At least he was finally persuaded of that.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:10 PM

7,659 posts, read 5,438,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
He has been a divisive, conniving presence and he could not carry on. Something had to give. In the end, that something was him. At least he was finally persuaded of that.
Who do you think will replace him and be a unifying force?

Old 05-19-2022, 09:07 PM

225 posts, read 148,297 times
I can see that he is replaced by someone who supports working Albertans and dosen't betray Alberta for a political score.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:10 PM

225 posts, read 148,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I was of the same mind as you Porterjack.

I'm now wondering if; after indicating publicly that a 50 + 1% would be enough to keep him in the fight, he is simply showing he's resigning due to being "miffed" at the outcome, OR, what I would prefer to think, is his realizing that the response of the voters within his party indicates they'd never coalesce to form a strong unified front under his reign.

That last would indicate he's thinking more of the party and Alberta's welfare than his own fractured ego.

In my .02 cents opinion only; sooner rather than later, it would be in the best interests of "Canada as a whole" to address a couple of the grievances the western provinces have as per elections leaving them thinking their Federal votes are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme.
What if he should do what Albertans want?

Instead of working for the best interests of "Canada as a whole". Why should the new leader care about "Canada as a whole"? What does Canada as a whole do for Alberta? Canada as a whole has continued attacked Alberta and destroy their economy without apologies.

What if Albertans actually get someone who stops looking for the approval from aristocrats in Ottawa who basically hate Alberta and the working people.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,508,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Who do you think will replace him and be a unifying force?
The party is pretty divided as well. And although he won't be the choice of the Calgary business community, Brian Jean could be the salve that it needs. Of course, the downtown Calgary crowd is likely to try and push another fawning toady on both the UCP and the people of Alberta as a whole. Your average Albertan doesn't want that, but they'll try. You can count on it.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:28 AM

7,659 posts, read 5,438,163 times
Quote:
The party is pretty divided as well. And although he won't be the choice of the Calgary business community, Brian Jean could be the salve that it needs. Of course, the downtown Calgary crowd is likely to try and push another fawning toady on both the UCP and the people of Alberta as a whole. Your average Albertan doesn't want that, but they'll try. You can count on it.
I had to do some googling. I left Alberta in 2002 and haven’t really heard much about the politics there since, unless it draws national attention. I only lived in the province for 6 years. I assume this is the type of leadership goal you are talking about:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...58413892148716

I was amused by one term he used - “radical downtown urbanites.” I’m seeing that urban/rural political divide here in Manitoba too.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
What if he should do what Albertans want?

Instead of working for the best interests of "Canada as a whole". Why should the new leader care about "Canada as a whole"? What does Canada as a whole do for Alberta? Canada as a whole has continued attacked Alberta and destroy their economy without apologies.

What if Albertans actually get someone who stops looking for the approval from aristocrats in Ottawa who basically hate Alberta and the working people.
Whoa nelly! Where did you get the idea I was suggesting the new leader of the UCP think about "Canada as a whole"?

My point was the exact opposite of what you surmised. I was stating (perhaps not clearly enough) that it should be 'Canada as a whole' (all of us) thinking about the welfare of the western provinces. Hence the reference to "their grievances" and their impression their votes not being considered relevant in Federal elections.

Please re-read my post and perhaps you will consider revising your response to something less confrontational?

Or, you can continue projecting as you please.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it's time for another Peter Lougheed? Maybe not as controversial as the emotive "letting the eastern ba****ds freeze in the dark" but one who will stand head to head with all and sundrie from the Liberals, Greens and perhaps even the aboriginals?

Perhaps the time is right, with Trudeau being firmly rooted on his back foot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada