Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move from Vancouver to Seattle if you could live in both Canada and the US without any res
Yes 38 55.07%
No 31 44.93%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Just watch Orphan Black then. But there's plenty of Canadian movies set in Toronto and filmed in Toronto that I can think of(they're not big hits in the US, but why should that be the only criteria for Canadians to see Toronto on the big screen)--they're often smaller indie films. But that's how the international film industry works, films made for a domestic market have budgets to reflect the size of the domestic audience.
My point, which I think you might be missing, is that in most countries in the world there are domestic movies that feature the country's cities and regions, and that draw more than flies to the cinemas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:36 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My point, which I think you might be missing, is that in most countries in the world there are domestic movies that feature the country's cities and regions, and that draw more than flies to the cinemas.
That's not necessarily true for most countries in the entire world. Do you ever attend international film festivals? Many countries with smaller populations will present a film that's one of their more popular domestic films--and it's a small art movie that didn't make much overall--but if you look at the actual box office results in those countries the top films will be big budget Hollywood action films or other international imports--Avengers: Age of Ultron is the most popular film in the world across most countries right now. Even in Asian countries with well developed film industries there's plenty of demand for foreign films. Hollywood makes the films that crossover around the world and then there's smaller local films--countries with larger domestic productions often have a language that no one else makes films in--which isn't Canada's situation, though it's sort of why French language films from Quebec have a higher domestic audience potential(at least within Quebec).

International Box Office Results by Country

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 05-15-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 08:48 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

You see Nat...you often do not get what I mean...you get (generally) the crumbs for every American movie that get shot up there...just the production costs...all the profits go somewhere else....and never forget why Vancouver is the "Hollywood north"....mainly because of lower production costs, that is the reason way it stages as Seattle or other American cities often....

Old 05-15-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
That's not necessarily true for most countries in the entire world. Do you ever attend international film festivals? Many countries with smaller populations will present a film that's one of their more popular domestic films--and it's a small art movie that didn't make much overall--but if you look at the actual box office results in those countries the top films will be big budget Hollywood action films or other international imports--Avengers: Age of Ultron is the most popular film in the world across most countries right now. Even in Asian countries with well developed film industries there's plenty of demand for foreign films. Hollywood makes the films that crossover around the world and then there's smaller local films--countries with larger domestic productions often have a language that no one else makes films in--which isn't Canada's situation.

International Box Office Results by Country
Yes, American films form the dominant cross-over cinema in most of the world. But I still think that you are seriously over-estimating just how much they occupy all of the space around the world. Most countries have their box-office successes each and every year.

Here are the most popular films in France from 2014 regardless of national origin:

Box-office France 2014

The number 2 movie on that list, La famille Bélier, is currently the number 2 movie in Quebec behind The Avengers.

In the top 5 in Quebec at the moment is also Aurélie Laflamme, a Quebec teen movie that was actually number one in Quebec a few weeks ago when it first came out, when it beat out all of the Hollywood movies that were running at the same time.

With all due respect, I know it's sometimes hard to see this as a "Canuck in Portland", but Anglo-Canada is pretty unique in how its screens are *totally* dominated by American productions.

Everywhere else in the world (including the Anglosphere BTW), the Americans take up a lot or even most of the space, but homegrown stuff still puts up a fight.

Here's an example:

The Water Diviner - Australian war drama. 20 million dollar budget, 20 or so million people in the home market, grosses 27 million dollars

Passchendaele - Canadian war drama. 20 million dollar budget, 28-35 million people in the home market (depending on whether or not you exclude Quebec), grosses barely over 4 million dollars

Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:

With all due respect, I know it's sometimes hard to see this as a "Canuck in Portland", but Anglo-Canada is pretty unique in how its screens are *totally* dominated by American productions.
I'm well aware of that, thanks. Basically though the US film industry is the Anglo Canadian film industry, I'm not arguing that. Canada just provides a slightly cheaper place to shoot films, and any successful Canadian directors or actors will probably end up making American films eventually. Some notable directors like David Cronenberg or Atom Egoyan might continue to make Canadian-set films of varying degrees of success, but most of the big ones are going to end up making Hollywood films(though the big Mexican directors now end up making Hollywood films as well). Yes, it'd be nice for Canada to have more Canadian-set films, but I'm not losing sleep over it--if one want to see Canadian-specific productions there's always the CBC...

Quote:
Everywhere else in the world (including the Anglosphere BTW), the Americans take up a lot or even most of the space, but homegrown stuff still puts up a fight.

Here's an example:

The Water Diviner - Australian war drama. 20 million dollar budget, 20 or so million people in the home market, grosses 27 million dollars

Passchendaele - Canadian war drama. 20 million dollar budget, 28-35 million people in the home market (depending on whether or not you exclude Quebec), grosses barely over 4 million dollars
Well, Passchendaele didn't make much money because it wasn't that good, I mean it was kind of crappy and corny. But didn't the Trailer Park Boys movie and Bon Cop, Bad Cop(mostly a Quebec hit, I know) make a couple million CDN $ or so in Anglo Canada?

This is all getting off topic though from the discussion of Seattle and Vancouver however.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:09 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You see Nat...you often do not get what I mean...you get (generally) the crumbs for every American movie that get shot up there...just the production costs...all the profits go somewhere else....and never forget why Vancouver is the "Hollywood north"....mainly because of lower production costs, that is the reason way it stages as Seattle or other American cities often....

The point is that you said Vancouver gets the crumbs when we talking about Seattle VS Vancouver, NOT Vancouver VS what the industry makes in Hollywood with the movies made here.

The amount of TV and Film made in Vancouver is many more times than that of Seattle. It employs over 40,000 people. 97 percent of production crews are local Vancouverites.
It is a 1.8 billion dollars industry.

Also the infrastructure is better in Vancouver than in Seattle. By that I meant studios, trained and experienced crews. Ask anyone in the industry.

Some crumbs.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Well, Passchendaele didn't make much money because it wasn't that good, I mean it was kind of crappy and corny. .
Passchendaele did win the award for best film and a bunch of other awards at the Genies. It was also the top-grossing Canadian film of the year in either language.

Quote:
But didn't the Trailer Park Boys movie and Bon Cop, Bad Cop(mostly a Quebec hit, I know) make a couple million CDN $ or so in Anglo Canada?

Passchendaele (a bit more than 4M) grossed more than Trailer Park Boys (under 4M).

Bon Cop Bad Cop got under 2 million in English Canada. It got around 12 million in Quebec.

Bon Cop Bad Cop actually bested Porky's for the highest-grossing "Canadian" film of all time, but in real adjusted dollars Porky's is still number one.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I'm well aware of that, thanks. Basically though the US film industry is the Anglo Canadian film industry, I'm not arguing that. Canada just provides a slightly cheaper place to shoot films, and any successful Canadian directors or actors will probably end up making American films eventually. Some notable directors like David Cronenberg or Atom Egoyan might continue to make Canadian-set films of varying degrees of success, but most of the big ones are going to end up making Hollywood films(though the big Mexican directors now end up making Hollywood films as well). Yes, it'd be nice for Canada to have more Canadian-set films, but I'm not losing sleep over it--if one want to see Canadian-specific productions there's always the CBC...

And it's perfectly fine for you and millions of others to feel that way. But that's also why things never "improve".

Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Passchendaele did win the award for best film and a bunch of other awards at the Genies. It was also the top-grossing Canadian film of the year in either language.

Passchendaele (a bit more than 4M) grossed more than Trailer Park Boys (under 4M).

Bon Cop Bad Cop got under 2 million in English Canada. It got around 12 million in Quebec.

Bon Cop Bad Cop actually bested Porky's for the highest-grossing "Canadian" film of all time, but in real adjusted dollars Porky's is still number one.
Porky's will always be the #1 Canadian movie ever in our hearts...

Old 05-15-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Porky's will always be the #1 Canadian movie ever in our hearts...
Speak for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada