Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 AM

7 posts, read 14,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I won't judge him for that. Some governments give, but they ask for too much sacrifice of freedoms in return, I could not judge someone from a repressive or unstable country for not wanting to go back there.

Canada is like our British and Australian siblings in offering three year research-based PhD programs, but for the most part the length of your PhD program is based on how long it takes you to finish your dissertation, if for whatever reason you need a little more time to finish it I think you can take a bit longer. As for Canadian weather, I don't find it too bad, but I was born and raised up here and it is normal to me, I know that some people from warm climates find winter to be something of an adjustments. On that matter, coastal British Columbia, the region where the cities of Vancouver and Victoria are located, has the mildest winter weather in the country, with a climate that is very similar to what you have in Leeds. It rains alot in the winter but rarely ever snows, and the summers are pleasant but not very hot. A city like Montreal or Toronto has cold winters, but summers that get properly hot and sometimes muggy, which I find very enjoyable, although they are of course not like tropical countries, and rarely go very much above 30 degrees celsius. The Prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba) have the worst weather in my opinion, with very cold winters and summers where the weather changes often and is hot most days, but can also be cold some summer days as well. They are however the area where there is the most sunny days in all of the country and the sun shines very often. The cold winters are not too bad either, because outside of coastal British Columbia the houses are built very warm and even in the coldest parts of winter they are always toasty warm inside. Going outside isn't too bad either because we have perfected excellent winter clothing that makes being outside perfectly feasible, and we northern people have invented lovely winter sports to make the season fun, like hockey, curling, downhill skiing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, tobogganing and many other fun experiences you can only have in winter. Big cities like Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City are even famous for their big winter festivals where people glory in the season and enjoy the nice things about it, so while it can be cold in some parts, it also offers some unique and fun experiences and you may have an adventure getting to learn how to enjoy it.

As for staying in Canada or Australia afterwards, I don't know much about Australia's immigration system, but our government has recently changed the system to make it easier for people who study in Canada to settle here after their studies have been completed, and I think this would offer you a solid opportunity to live in Canada. I don't know all the details about this, it is some very recent changes that the minister has decided to make, so I don't know if all the new guidelines are out yet but hopefully you can look into this.

I personally think Canada is a better choice then Australia because the cost of living in Australia is higher then in Canada and the wages are similar (although the cost of living in coastal British Columbia is closer to what they have in Australia but still cheaper). Canada also has more selection of things to buy and much cheaper prices for things like electronics.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. Really appreciate that...i am making a list and another point for Canada then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM

42 posts, read 154,740 times
It is very easy to get Permanent residency in Canada for PhD enrolled candidates under the current system. You can actually be a permanent resident before you finish your PhD.

Applying as a Skilled Worker

"The Federal Skilled Worker program has a new eligibility stream that is open to international students who are pursuing or who have completed doctoral (PhD) studies at Canadian institutions."

Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Shaeb View Post
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. Really appreciate that...i am making a list and another point for Canada then
I lived in Oz for a year at the turn of the century. I split my time between Melbourne and Perth with some touring of points in between. Melbourne is a fabulous city and Perth is like the wild west as it's the only major city for 1,000s of kms in any direction. Awesome country, wonderful people. I love their easy going nature (no worries - answer to everything!) their colourful lingo and brilliant sense of humour.

A big difference between Canada and Oz is that Australia is very isolated. Unless you live up north in Darwin NT you're not really close to anywhere. That's what makes Aussies such epic travellers as even the closest destinations (PNG, Bali, NZ) are still quite a hike. As a result, Aussies tend to travel for 3 month to a year when they go abroad. Another major difference is climate. Despite the novelty factor of Christmas on the beach, I found that I really missed winter and snow.

The cost of living is higher in Australia but the salaries (and workplace protections) are also much higher. There's no significant difference in crime or violence (whoever mentioned that is full of ****e).

My Aussie friends who have lived in Canada would say "Go to Canada!" whereas my Canadian friends who have lived in Oz would say "Go to Australia!" lol

Either way you can't go wrong IMO.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 14,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
I lived in Oz for a year at the turn of the century. I split my time between Melbourne and Perth with some touring of points in between. Melbourne is a fabulous city and Perth is like the wild west as it's the only major city for 1,000s of kms in any direction. Awesome country, wonderful people. I love their easy going nature (no worries - answer to everything!) their colourful lingo and brilliant sense of humour.

A big difference between Canada and Oz is that Australia is very isolated. Unless you live up north in Darwin NT you're not really close to anywhere. That's what makes Aussies such epic travellers as even the closest destinations (PNG, Bali, NZ) are still quite a hike. As a result, Aussies tend to travel for 3 month to a year when they go abroad. Another major difference is climate. Despite the novelty factor of Christmas on the beach, I found that I really missed winter and snow.

The cost of living is higher in Australia but the salaries (and workplace protections) are also much higher. There's no significant difference in crime or violence (whoever mentioned that is full of ****e).

My Aussie friends who have lived in Canada would say "Go to Canada!" whereas my Canadian friends who have lived in Oz would say "Go to Australia!" lol

Either way you can't go wrong IMO.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience

Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM

47 posts, read 65,283 times
Quote:
I have been awarded a PhD scholarship that is fully sponsored by my government. I am really confused where I shall apply. It is a Canada Vs Australia debate. I have never been to Canada or Australia. So I am really lost.

I am telecommunication engineer, and I have done my master in UK, Leeds, but never been to Canada or Australia. So I am really lost ..A PhD will take at least 4 years, so I surly need to choose the right place for me, and tick the right choice .....

I have conducted some research about this, but I am still confused. I need more sort of personal experience stories to help me decide.

How long does it usually take you to finish a PhD program in Canada? And can i find a research-based PhD program? I think, just like the UK, Australia universities offer three years research-based PhD programs, right?

It is much easier to have a post study work opportunity in Canada than Australia right? ; Although both countries have a point based immigration system.

When it comes to climate, Australia has a warmer weather than Canada (which would be great for me considering I am coming from a warm country). But the question is, is Canada weather really bad? Is it really hard to cope with it?

Would you please help me find out more details and to have a brief comparison between the two countries?
Not sure about Canada, but in Australia telecom engineers are not in high demand at all, esp if you have a Phd you are pretty much stuck! Sorry for the bad news.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
I have been awarded a PhD scholarship that is fully sponsored by my government. I am really confused where I shall apply. It is a Canada Vs Australia debate. I have never been to Canada or Australia. So I am really lost.
I am telecommunication engineer, and I have done my master in UK, Leeds, but never been to Canada or Australia. So I am really lost ..A PhD will take at least 4 years, so I surly need to choose the right place for me, and tick the right choice .....
I have conducted some research about this, but I am still confused. I need more sort of personal experience stories to help me decide.
How long does it usually take you to finish a PhD program in Canada? And can i find a research-based PhD program? I think, just like the UK, Australia universities offer three years research-based PhD programs, right?
It is much easier to have a post study work opportunity in Canada than Australia right? ; Although both countries have a point based immigration system.
When it comes to climate, Australia has a warmer weather than Canada (which would be great for me considering I am coming from a warm country). But the question is, is Canada weather really bad? Is it really hard to cope with it?
Would you please help me find out more details and to have a brief comparison between the two countries?
Well, I see everyone giving you good advice. But the MOST important thing that seems to have been neglected is the UNIVERSITY itself. Which university in Canada or Australia are you planning on attending? Do you have any offers?

You should base 85% of this decision on the University (and program) itself, and not so much on the country.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
Flights from most Aussie cities (airasia.com) to exotic locations in Asia like Bali, Thailand, beaches in Malaysia are under $500 (and much cheaper sometimes). Perth to Bali is a 3 hour flight! Where can you get to from Toronto in 3 hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada