Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,478,514 times

Advertisements

So I read today as I have been ever since 2001 that they're cutting yet more jobs here in the u.s.
Has anything similar been happening in Canada or are there still places to work? I saw on a recent thread here that they have so much trouble finding people in places like Alberta that they actually have to raise the wages!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,202 times
They're raising wages in Alberta because it's a booming economy there. It's growing like crazy and they have more jobs available than there are workers. They're raising wages to bribe workers to work for them. They're not exporting jobs out of the country.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:10 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
They're raising wages in Alberta because it's a booming economy there. It's growing like crazy and they have more jobs available than there are workers. They're raising wages to bribe workers to work for them. They're not exporting jobs out of the country.
Right, canada is only exporting the workers out of the country.....to the United States.....which is one reason there is such demand for workers in Canada.

There are many reasons for this....just pointing out something interesting.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM

Good then it looks like I may have a good chance of finding something when I'm able to jump ship(which I wanted to do years ago).

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Economic growth depends on what part of Canada you go to and what fields you look at.

For example, General Motors maintains a truck assembly plant just outside Toronto at Oshawa. GM recently cut the 3rd shift, putting a 1000 workers on the street. Add another 1000 + job cuts in the ancillary companies which were supplying parts for those trucks and you have a great example of economic downturn due to lagging consumerism.

In the same vein, General Mills recently announced a bakery closure in the Trenton, Ontario region. Some 450 people will be out pounding the pavement in November looking for new jobs. General Mills explained that the production at the 4-year-old plant would shift to the US and Mexico.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Those are the kinds of cutbacks I'm talking about,so they're maybe not as many as the u.s.?...

Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Economic growth depends on what part of Canada you go to and what fields you look at.

For example, General Motors maintains a truck assembly plant just outside Toronto at Oshawa. GM recently cut the 3rd shift, putting a 1000 workers on the street. Add another 1000 + job cuts in the ancillary companies which were supplying parts for those trucks and you have a great example of economic downturn due to lagging consumerism.

In the same vein, General Mills recently announced a bakery closure in the Trenton, Ontario region. Some 450 people will be out pounding the pavement in November looking for new jobs. General Mills explained that the production at the 4-year-old plant would shift to the US and Mexico.
And interestingly enough, your examples speak of how Ontario's industry .... southern Ontario's industry... the "Golden Horseshoe" is tied into American factories. If there's an American corporation with factories in Canada, it's likely in southern Ontario. Nowhere else in the country do you find such an abundance of factories, let alone those belonging to American corporations. I'm not trying to suggest that all of Ontario's industry is tied to this, but it's more prevalent there than anywhere else in Canada.

I wonder if the climbing Canadian dollar against the US dollar has anything to do with American factories pulling out of Canada?

About Alberta - the Alberta economy is booming right now because of its exploitation of natural resources (oil/gas) in its own province. It's a very wealthy province at the moment. Its economy is very different from Ontario's.

To use an American analogy, it's equivalent to comparing the economy of say, Texas, with the economy of Michigan.

Of course, I am by no means any expert. But just trying to stress that it's not something we can generalize at the national level in Canada, as the Canadian economy is very much regional.

Last edited by Robynator; 11-01-2007 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: adding on extra thoughts

Old 11-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Alberta economy is booming right now because of its exploitation of natural resources (oil/gas) in its own province. It's a very wealthy province at the moment. Its economy is very different from Ontario's.

To use an American analogy, it's equivalent to comparing the economy of say, Texas, with the economy of Michigan.

Of course, I am by no means any expert. But just trying to stress that it's not something we can generalize at the national level in Canada, as the Canadian economy is very much regional.
So does that mean there are only certain people benefitting from that? Certain families perhaps?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:39 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
So does that mean there are only certain people benefitting from that? Certain families perhaps?
Many of the business owners, if that's what you mean by "certain people."

There are probably at least 10,000 people who make $1 million-plus annually in Alberta and the province has only 4 million people. (I heard recently that in Calgary there are thousands of people making over $1 million per year)

Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
There are probably at least 10,000 people who make $1 million-plus annually in Alberta and the province has only 4 million people. (I heard recently that in Calgary there are thousands of people making over $1 million per year)
And the rest are making peanuts...yep another example of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer and the dissolving of any 'middle class'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada