Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 21,859 times

Advertisements

Hi im new here I am a 30 y/o disabled (t-10 paralygic). I was born in North york ontario. I later moved to the us.i now live in fl. I have us citizenship. As well as canadian??I was injured three years ago.
Due to the lack of medical care i recieve here in the states, and the fact that vancouvre was rated the number one city to live for paraplygics, i want to go home. Where i can get free healthcare and schooling(college).
I was wondering if i someone could answer thes questions please.
1. I was born in ontario.....how hard would it be to move to vancouvre...where do i start as far a citienship...Does the fact that im disabled have to do with what kind of visa/citizenship i apply for? Do i eed one?...sincei was born there?
2. What kind of housng services are available to disbled people. Vouchers? Here i get section 8 to help pay my rent. I read in canada you find your own dwelling that is suitable for your needs..the the government gves you vouchers. ow does this work?
3. I get ssid .(social security) here, can it be tranfered to canada. Or , what kind of assistance can i get there. How much money a disabled person recieves..in canadian.
4. does anyone know about the care level of care a paraplygic gets in canada...as far as medical/....ie...what kind of catheters do i have to use...prescriptions i can get.
Thank you for any help or other questions you thinki should know ...please comment
B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
If you were born in Canada there's very little reason for you not to also be a Canadian citizen. It's very hard not to be one.

If you are a citizen you can up-and-move anywhere you please, so Vancouver would only be hard due to geographic reasons.

If you have proof you were born in Canada but don't have other documents proving you're Canadian, you might be granted citizenship if you have a valid birth certificate.

Anyone else?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Medical care is provincial rather than a federal area of responsability so standards of care and waiting times for access will vary from province to province.

An important factor for you to check out is the possible residency requirement before being eligible for coverage under a provincial health plan. In plain English, that means that most provonces require you to be a resident in their provonce for a certain period of time before picking up the tab for your medical bills. In Ontario, that period of initial residency is 90 days; British Columbia may have a different waiting period.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:35 PM

Well Vancouvre was actually rated the number one city for paras to live in the world. i guess its very accesable, beautiful , marijuana friendly , and great health coverage and schooling. Who can i contact in that province to find out how i get citizenship? I know there is a 90 day period, but since i was born there.....? and disabled.....?Anyone with phone numbers or contact info you think i need would be wonderful.
thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
I doubt holding Canadian citizenship waives the waiting period before coverage begins.

If you have a Canadian birth certificate, you have Canadian citizenship and merely have to present the BC and another piece of government-issued photo ID at the border to gain admitance to Canada.

If you don't have a Canadian, (in your case Ontario), birth certificate, you should contact the nearest Canadian embassy to explain your exact situation and receive specific information on what steps you will need to take to prove you are entitled to Canadian citizenship.

All British Columbia government ministries are available through: B.C. Government Home - Province of British Columbia

Old 11-05-2007, 09:20 PM

Default thank you

i have my birth cetificate .north york ontario . Well guess i just have to make sure i have enough supplies/medicine to last me. I bet i can by the stuff i need to for soooo much cheaper than here with cash.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I doubt holding Canadian citizenship waives the waiting period before coverage begins............
Correct, it does not.

That waiting period is simply to stop people "jumping queues" for short periods of time due to differences in each province for surgery waits, etc. You are still entitled to care. But, as I undertstand it, the province you left covers the bill to their maximums. Under the Canada Health Act, no Canadian resident can be denied coverage.

The OP needs to further check what the waiting period is for a Canadian moving back into the province of choice from outside Canada. It is often longer than the waiting period for a person simply relocating from one province to another. Some places it's a year (this was a few years ago, so check).

It is to stop Canadians residing in other countries (i.e. the U. S. of A) from temporarily moving back just to suck on the Canadian healthcare teat for "free" and then leave again.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:40 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,690 times
And technically, health care isn't *free* in Canada. It's funded by taxes paid by Canadians. Only people paying taxes in Canada are able to access the health care.

In BC, if you don't have medical coverage from an employer, you will end up paying an extra $42 a month, by the way.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 PM

better tan the 100 bucks i have to par for meicare...which does ****for me

Old 11-06-2007, 03:18 PM

197 posts, read 1,138,511 times
I didn't say it was free, I said it was "free."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada