Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times

Advertisements

It's not a competition. Anglophones just want the equal recognition of English in Quebec that existed for over 200 years. Anglophones who want French to be eliminated are a virtually nonexistent minority, if existent at all, whilst French-language nationalists are probably the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Anglophones who want French to be eliminated are a virtually nonexistent minority, if existent at all, whilst French-language nationalists are probably the majority.

I think a simple glance at this forum would quite evidently show that this is not the case.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM
pdw

Is this not an English forum? It would be a bit hypocritical to contantly be crying about the assimilation of the French language whilst using an English forum yourself. Then again, that hasn't stopped you or the others.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Is this not an English forum? It would be a bit hypocritical to contantly be crying about the assimilation of the French language whilst using an English forum yourself. Then again, that hasn't stopped you or the others.
What makes you think that I am assimilated simply because I post here in perfect English?

This forum is basically the only place I have used English at all in my life in recent days.

I live pretty much my entire life in French thank you very much, as do my children.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 AM
pdw

You seem to be reading a lot in English. But I guess it's somehow different when it's a sign for a business, right?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You seem to be reading a lot in English. But I guess it's somehow different when it's a sign for a business, right?
I still don't understand why any of this is your business and why this would make my posts less valid.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
Bit strange for you to keep complaining in general about things HERE when you took off to Ontario. Maybe it's been so long (a question you seem to refuse to answer) that you don't realize how people feel about the issue HERE and TODAY.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
FWIW, I like the Quebecois accent.

Genevieve Bujold of Still at the Toronto International Film Festival 2012 - YouTube

I wonder, though, if only a small minority of French Quebeckers speak English as well as M. Bujold. I also wonder if there are more French Quebeckers who are fluent in English than there are Anglo Quebeckers who are fluent in French. By "fluent", I don't just mean the ability to have an informal conversation, but to read, write, and comprehend their second language to an ability close to that of their native language.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In Quebec anglophone, francophone, and allophone refer to mother tongue. Allophones are mainly immigrants who's first language is neither English or French.
Not necessarily immigrants. I'm an allophone who was born right here, but my mother tongue is Russian.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I still don't understand why any of this is your business and why this would make my posts less valid.
Why do you need French to be larger than English on signs? Why is this necessary? You can't give an answer to this, and I know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada