Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times

Advertisements

What happened in his personal life, I've been working alot and must have missed it. Unless you're talking about the affair thing from last year? Can't say I'm sad to see him go though, I disliked him more than everyone else in the cabinet, he was a slimer with just awful, awful policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
Just speculation, but I wonder if he wasn't forced out.

The CPC have to know the public's not particularly happy with them right now. They likely know that Toews is (was?) among their least popular MPs. I think a major cabinet reshuffle is coming and it wouldn't surprise me that Toews was slated for a serious demotion. It wouldn't surprise me if he quit rather than face that.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:15 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
What happened in his personal life, I've been working alot and must have missed it. Unless you're talking about the affair thing from last year? Can't say I'm sad to see him go though, I disliked him more than everyone else in the cabinet, he was a slimer with just awful, awful policies.
Nothing new happened in his personal life that I know of - just his divorce from last year. Here, locally, he says he promised his spouse (with whom he had the affair) that he would quit politics when their son was about to go to school. He claims he wants to live in Manitoba.

But I agree - it wasn't his personal life that offended me - it was his public statements that were so over the top, and then coupled with such blatant hypocrisy in his personal life that offended me. He is living proof that a hay bale with a Conservative Party logo could get elected in Provencher.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Just speculation, but I wonder if he wasn't forced out.

The CPC have to know the public's not particularly happy with them right now. They likely know that Toews is (was?) among their least popular MPs. I think a major cabinet reshuffle is coming and it wouldn't surprise me that Toews was slated for a serious demotion. It wouldn't surprise me if he quit rather than face that.
I think they wanted him out for at least a few years. Federal Public Safety Minister Vic Toews resigns - Winnipeg Free Press

ETA: To be fair (?), he seemed to be at every event in his riding and I always bumped into him at Mennonite funerals. And when the divorce/Vikileaks story broke, he addressed that in a column to his riding and said that if anyone had any issue with it, they could contact his office to address him directly about it. He wasn't an absent sort of minister for his riding. Which is about the nicest thing I can say about him.

Last edited by netwit; 07-10-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Mr. Toews walked a Kreuked path!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada