Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 AM

91 posts, read 196,187 times

Advertisements

I want to someday relocate to Vancouver Island because what I've realized is that I am very content and happy in nature. At the age of 27 I've become weary and sick of city life.

What I'd like to know is that will a person, who has always lived in cities(and metropolitan fast paced at that) become bored of island life? Is it just a grass being greener on the other side thing and the novelty will wear off eventually?

I am not a disc/pub nightlife person and actually prefer being a homebody. However I revel in nature, hiking, trekking, even sitting with friends....and boy is Vancouver island picturesque.

What are your experiences of the time you spent on the island(Nanaimo, Victoria et all)?
Tell me your experience. Would you, if given a chance, relocate in that life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Well, yes Sidney, which is a smaller town near Victoria. Victoria is still a 'city' in itself, if you are a homebody or like nature, then the island (esp around Victoria and Nanaimo) will still be close enough to the major city-only things. Besides if you are really desperate to get into a metro city, you can take the ferry. But the island life itself is not 'boring' (in the sense of boring suburbs), not at all. It's really a beautiful place. I would live there if it wasn't for a job transfer.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
I want to someday relocate to Vancouver Island because what I've realized is that I am very content and happy in nature. At the age of 27 I've become weary and sick of city life.
This guys story you might find motivating and inspirational
Dick Proenneke, Alone in the Wilderness,
Dick Proenneke - Alone in the Wilderness - Excerpts from Full version DVD - YouTube

Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
You do realize that Victoria is a very interesting city in itself? Should you become bored with up-island living you could always make a day trip from wherever on the island back to Victoria for a recharge of your batteries.

I was stationed out there at HMCS Naden for a few years a long time ago but have returned many times since and have loved every minute while there.

All of the towns north of Vic have their own charm and scenery with plenty of activities supporting an active lifestyle. And wherever you settle on the island you're within 10 minutes drive of beautiful forest.

Should you desire even more isolation from a hustle bustle urban setting then perhaps one of the channel Islands would be more to your liking. Gabriola, Salt Spring, the Penders all present wonderful opportunities to live a quiet but nature infused lifestyle.

My brother retired onto N.Pender Island and when visiting I get to use a guest room with a balcony that is level with an old growth fir with an eagles nest at eye level just 100 feet from that balcony.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
I lived there for 4 years - Victoria, Sidney and where the ferry comes in from Vancouver (about 5 miles north of Sidney), can't believe that the name escapes me.

It is very beautiful for sure and there are things I miss but for me I didn't like living on and island (even a big one like that) and I could never get rid of the feeling that I didn't belong there. The weather was VERY hard for me to take but I need sun and dislike rain.

Whether you will miss the cosmopolitan city life is hard to say, everyone is different.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 AM

91 posts, read 196,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I could never get rid of the feeling that I didn't belong there. The weather was VERY hard for me to take but I need sun and dislike rain.
What do you mean by "didn't belong there?" Was it the general atmosphere or the people?
Also it rains on that island? I need sunny afternoons.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
Quote:
Also it rains on that island? I need sunny afternoons.
Heh, if you don't like rain, don't come to BC!

Old 07-12-2013, 07:50 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
I only spent a week there on a vacation, both in central Victoria and also way up north at the end of the highway in Ucluet and Tofino. If getting away from the bar scene and into the nature scene is what you want that's the place. I was there at Christmas time and it was surpisingly warm - hi 30s/low 40s and rain but not torrents, just gentle rain for not all of the day. If you need sunshine, it's a rare blessing, but the overcast most of the time will bring great anticipation and joy when it comes! Tofino area up north is just spectacular mountain scenery. All very expensive, though. Have a great job or forget it.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
If you dont like rainy climates you might want to look east of the mountains, perhaps northern Saskatchewan

Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "didn't belong there?" Was it the general atmosphere or the people?.
I just felt like a fish out of water and the grey gloomy days just about did me in. Being on an island is kinda weird too. You've probably heard of isalnd fever. It's no small undertaking to get off, and not worth it for a day trip due to the time and cost (around $100 return in a car) invloved.

[/quote]Also it rains on that island? I need sunny afternoons.[/quote]

Only for about 9 or 10 months a year . I only remember seeing a full moon once, otherwise it was always "socked in".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada