Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've never heard that we get to choose a new monarch when the old one dies. Where did you get this information?
We do indeed get to choose, as the crown of Canada is technically separate from the crown of the UK.

We actually just passed a succession to the crown act this year, though it was just an affirmation of the changes to the succession laws that the UK recently passed. [center for constitutional studies]

One difference that I did catch was that of regency. In the UK, if the king or queen is a minor or incapable or ruling, a regent rules in their place. The regent, however, would not be recognized in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,134 times
There are plenty of Canadians who think the monarchy is stupid and outdated. There are also plenty who care about the issue. However, it's not a pressing issue because the monarchy has no actual power in Canada. Giving an oath of loyalty to the Queen is really just using the Queen as a symbol of the country. I'd give the oath and never think twice about it. Would I take a bullet for the Queen? No.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,097,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I never knew that Canadian immigrants who are seeking citizenship have to swear an oath to an unelected monarch of a foreign country. Why have you Canadians allowed for your country to contradict itself with such a undemocratic, primitive, and shameful practice?
Before branding other sovereign states "undemocratic", please explain how a flawed piece of legislation such as your very own Patriot Act where citizens can be imprisoned indefinitely without trial is allowed to exist in an allegedly free country. Additionally, you can perhaps shed some light as to why your own government is currently embroiled in a wiretapping/eavesdropping scandal where they were targeting innocent civilians while at the same time desperately trying to undermine your Second Amendment rights. Are they patterning the new America after the policies of Germany's Third Reich? Why have you Americans allowed your country to contradict itself with such totalitarian, primitive and utterly shameful practices?

People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw cinderblocks.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

She is the Queen of Canada and my Queen.
If you are an immigrant and don't like it, I suggest you go back to where you came from!!!!

Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
I've never heard that we get to choose a new monarch when the old one dies. Where did you get this information?

As for the House of Windsor being the wealthiest entity on the planet, I remember reading there are many, many more who are wealthier. The tricky part is separating what belongs to the crown and what is her own personal wealth, regardless, the monarchy's wealth is not passed onto Canada in any way so not sure it matters.
We were taught that in elementary school social studies, politics and history, more than 55 years ago. Maybe that is no longer taught in school these days.

You are correct in that Queen Elizabeth's personal wealth is separate from the wealth of the House of Windsor and both the Queen's wealth and the House wealth are separate from the wealths of the British Crown and the Canadian Crown. The monarch's wealth is not passed on to Canada, however, the wealth of the Canadian Crown is separate from the wealth of the British Crown. They are two separate things and Canada's wealth remains with Canada no matter who the monarch is.

Regarding the following wiki quote - those are individuals with their own personal and/or business wealths - they are not royal Houses with accrued wealth that goes back for many centuries as with the House of Windsor. Before it was the House of Windsor it was called the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, and before the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha it was the House of Hannover (also known as the House of Brunswick, Hanover Line) going back to around 400 years ago, and before that I don't remember what the House was called. Maybe someone else can research it. They are all the same royal House and same lineage in spite of name changes and that House is the wealthiest entity of all.

My personal opinion is that it is economically and politically a good move for Canada to continue to stay aligned with the wealthiest and most influential entity which is the House of Windsor and its inheritors.

Quote:
From wiki, the top ten wealthiest in the world.

2013 Top 10
No. Name Net worth (USD) Age Citizenship Source(s) of wealth
1 Carlos Slim $73.0 billion 73 Mexico Telmex, América Móvil, Grupo Carso
2 Bill Gates $67.0 billion 57 United States Microsoft
3 Amancio Ortega $57.0 billion 76 Spain Inditex Group
4 Warren Buffett $53.5 billion 82 United States Berkshire Hathaway
5 Larry Ellison $43.0 billion 68 United States Oracle Corporation
6 Charles Koch $34.0 billion 77 United States Koch Industries
7 David Koch $34.0 billion 72 United States Koch Industries
8 Li Ka-shing $31.0 billion 84 Hong Kong/ Canada Cheung Kong Holdings
9 Liliane Bettencourt $30.0 billion 90 France L'Oréal
10 Bernard Arnault $29.0 billion 63 France LVMH Moët Hennessy • Louis Vuitton

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-12-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM

lucknow, I am an immigrant and I don't approve of monarchy. What are you going to do about it?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
lucknow, I am an immigrant and I don't approve of monarchy. What are you going to do about it?
Not Lucknow but I have a question for you. Are you going to go to court about it, or join those wannabees in their court case, because you don't approve of monarchy?

If you disapprove of monarchy, why did you immigrate to Canada instead of to some other country that isn't a monarchy?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Those people are not "wannabes." They are people taking a stand for a cause, which is that requiring immigrants who wish to naturalize to give an oath of allegiance to a Queen is a repugnant practice.

The oath should be to uphold the Constitution of Canada.

Are you suggesting that a person must agree with 100% of the laws and customs of a nation in order to live there? Because that sounds like fascism to me. Like it or not, part of the benefit of immigration is the new ways of thinking it brings to the country.

That being said, the monarchy does not define Canada and is in fact quite irrelevant to Canada. There are many natural-born Canadians who agree on this point and find the monarchy to be detestable. In fact, it's quite a huge majority in Quebec, and last time I checked, they were the original Canadians (no, the aboriginals were not Canadians. They had their own nations).

Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Those people are not "wannabes." They are people taking a stand for a cause, which is that requiring immigrants who wish to naturalize to give an oath of allegiance to a Queen is a repugnant practice.

The oath should be to uphold the Constitution of Canada.

Are you suggesting that a person must agree with 100% of the laws and customs of a nation in order to live there? Because that sounds like fascism to me. Like it or not, part of the benefit of immigration is the new ways of thinking it brings to the country.

That being said, the monarchy does not define Canada and is in fact quite irrelevant to Canada. There are many natural-born Canadians who agree on this point and find the monarchy to be detestable. In fact, it's quite a huge majority in Quebec, and last time I checked, they were the original Canadians (no, the aboriginals were not Canadians. They had their own nations).
Oh, boo freaking hoo! Yes, you have to agree to follow and abide by our laws. Don't like it? You're more than welcome to go somewhere else.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
The Queen's place in the Canadian mosaic is part of our Canadian culture, for those those that aspire to come to Canada and want to change what we are and who we are why not do us all a favour and go somewhere else eh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada