Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:10 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What good things should the world thank Canada for?
Perhaps one of the greatest dance routines ever:

Backstreet's Back circa 1999 Canada's Wonderland - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Perhaps one of the greatest dance routines ever:

Backstreet's Back circa 1999 Canada's Wonderland - YouTube

Dang!!! That's a few minutes of my life gone, I wished to H*** I'd spent otherwise. Gack!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundwithCabinFever View Post
Robertson Screw driver...

Paint roller. Canadian Norman James Breakey. invented in 1940's . An American also invented it around the same time. The Canadian didn't have the money to produce enough to make a profit.
Robertson screws are Canada's gift to carpenters everywhere. Yet you don't see them much outside of Canada, from what I hear. I can't imagine building a house using phillipshead screws. Damn things strip easier than....well, I'll let you add your own punch line.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, there have been a few good things invented and discovered here. The telephone for one. Brantford On is the telephone city. The first call ever transmitted was done there. The discovery of insulin has saved millions from certain death. There have been many other medical discoveries by Canadians. The mapping of the brain is an interesting one although it was a Canadian at Harvard. The world can thank Canada for the snowmobile, the first commercial passenger jet, the hydrofoil boat, that was Alexander Graham Bell again, The snow blower, the fog horn. The prosthetic hand and the electric wheelchair and the electron microscope.

ASDIC and sonar were key Canadian inventions that helped win WW2. The compound steam engine for marine use was invented by a Canadian in 1842.

Hockey and basketball were invented by Canadians and the instant replay was invented by CBC in 1955. The goalie mask was invented in Canada.

Pablum, wonderbra, the garbage bag, alkaline battery and the egg carton. The caulking gun and the electric oven.

The Caesar cocktail is a Canadian institution. You can`t get one in the USA. They drink bloody Marys there. YUK!
Many of this is debatable.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundwithCabinFever View Post
I knew some postings here would be shot down. Americans love to point out those who chose to come to Canada but weren't Canadian citizens. Sorta like the endless arguements that start when Canadians mention we beat them in the War of 1812.

Here's one recent one:

Canadian Invention in Malaria Treatment Canadian Invention in Malaria Treatment - SaskatoonHomepage.ca - Saskatoon, Local News, Weather, and Sports.
Yeah and you guys don't?

Old 07-21-2013, 05:28 PM

I think everyone in the world except Canadians can agree the telephone was invented in the UK, also peanut butter was invented in st. Louis, basketball was invented in Canada actually and America. Those are just the main things. I have no idea where you guys are getting this info from?
The History of Peanut Butter

Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
All of these pale in comparison to Tim Horton's!

Obviously the best thing around!

Thanks, Canada.
Tim Hortons is just subpar coffee created specifically for budget conscient consumers. Canadians love it for two reasons. One it is cheap, two it is Canadian. It has absolutely nothing to do with its quality.

Ask anyone outside Canada and a couple of US states and hardly anyone in the world heard of Tim Hortons.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:39 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Tim Hortons is just subpar coffee created specifically for budget conscient consumers. Canadians love it for two reasons. One it is cheap, two it is Canadian. It has absolutely nothing to do with its quality.

Ask anyone outside Canada and a couple of US states and hardly anyone in the world heard of Tim Hortons.
As something of a coffee connoisseur, I agree that Time Hortons really makes awful coffee. McDonald's new coffee is much better if one is looking for a cheap cup of decent coffee on the go. It may not be "Canadian", but it's decent, so who cares. Besides their coffee being horrible, just about everything else Tim Horton's sells is complete crap. Their donuts are frozen, and just about every other food item they offer is either tasteless or just awful. The only thing I like from Tim's is their Iced Caps. Those are pretty tasty, and very nice in the summer. They may not be quite as good as the Starbuck's or Second Cup / Timothy's equivalent, but for the price I'll choose the Iced Cap every time. I only drink their brewed coffee when it's all I can get.

In Mississauga, where I'm living right now, there are very few independent coffee shops like in TO - the ones that do exist are typically on a large scale, selling food and all kinds of beverages, while the coffee is almost an afterhought. I have yet to find one that is worth rhe drive or the price. Tim's and McDonalds are the cheaper options, while Starbuck's and the occasional Second Cup and Timothy's are considered high end. So every time I visit TO, I go to one of my favourite independent coffee shops (I have one in just about every part of town), buy freshly-roasted beans by the pound, and grind them myself at home for use in a French Press (IMO, the only way to make a proper cup of coffee). I miss sitting in a busy cafe in Toronto, sipping a flavourful blend of brewed coffee (I'm not the biggest fan of espresso and its many manifestations), reading a newspaper, watching all the people, flirting with cute girls. It's an experience I miss very much, especially since I stopped drinking alcohol many years ago. It was a Saturday and Sunday morning tradition for me to spend an hour or two of my morning at my fave local cafe. Nothing like that in Sauga, for the most part (Streetsville and Port Credit offer some of the only exceptions).

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

OMG, I actually agree with you on this one. Tim Hortons was an eastern Canada thing when I grew up in B.C. We never even heard of it until they moved out west.
It is god awful coffee ,overly sweet doughnuts, and pathetic soft sandwiches made for people with no teeth ( maybe that's why old people like it ).

Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Well, here's a shocking admission. I've never had Tim Horton's coffee. I never tried to avoid it. It just somehow never happened. Can't comment on whether it is good or bad and I rarely eat doughnuts. I make coffee at home with a French press and freshly ground beans. And I can't stand flavoured coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada