Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:10 PM

42 posts, read 60,895 times

Advertisements

Is there any chance Quebec will ever become independent? I really hope not. It is very scary if it does, and it would suck for both then in terms of everything. I strongly support Quebec's language law and culture, but they should remain part of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM
pdw

2,621 posts, read 3,037,280 times

Which are you, ONTVisit or Mumsen?
Supporting discriminatory language laws for the protection of Quebec's "culture" (French Canadian culture is not conterminous with Quebec, no matter how hard they've tried to convince us otherwise for the past 43 years) is actually encouraging separatism.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 AM

103 posts, read 169,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenika View Post
Is there any chance Quebec will ever become independent? I really hope not. It is very scary if it does, and it would suck for both then in terms of everything. I strongly support Quebec's language law and culture, but they should remain part of Canada.
Why do you support there language law?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,065,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenika View Post
Why some one from NYC should care about Quebecs language laws escapes me. And i suspect you have very little idea what those language laws actually encompass or what its like to live under them. Even the Francophones are finding Quebec separatist government language laws a bit extreme.
Teenaged entrepreneur denounces business-limiting language laws | CTV Montreal News
For you in NYC its puzzling why you would care whether Quebec separates or not as how would it affect you? for many Canadians a generation of trying to placate Quebec has resulted in a francophone demographic that doesnt in any way feel Canadian, has recently voted in a separatist government, and is pushing hard to pass new beefed up linguistic legislation in the form of bill14
CBC.ca Montreal - Interactive - Highlights from Bill 14
While you for some unknown reason may want Quebec to stay in Canada most Canadians at this point couldnt care less whether they stay or go, in fact i'd hazard a guess most of them would prefer to see the end of Quebec as part of Canada,

Quote:
Which are you, ONTVisit or Mumsen?
Good call pdw although i suspect some one with an obsession with the monarchy..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-27-2013 at 05:26 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why some one from NYC should care about Quebecs language laws escapes me. And i suspect you have very little idea what those language laws actually encompass or what its like to live under them. Even the Francophones are finding Quebec separatist government language laws a bit extreme.
Teenaged entrepreneur denounces business-limiting language laws | CTV Montreal News
For you in NYC its puzzling why you would care whether Quebec separates or not as how would it affect you? for many Canadians a generation of trying to placate Quebec has resulted in a francophone demographic that doesnt in any way feel Canadian, has recently voted in a separatist government, and is pushing hard to pass new beefed up linguistic legislation in the form of bill14
CBC.ca Montreal - Interactive - Highlights from Bill 14
While you for some unknown reason may want Quebec to stay in Canada most Canadians at this point couldnt care less whether they stay or go, in fact i'd hazard a guess most of them would prefer to see the end of Quebec as part of Canada,

I would have zero issue if this laws were in areas that were say 90% french but my real big concern is these laws will be all over so even in areas where its 90% english i just don't see how in any way its good.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 AM

When a government starts putting in place all manner of laws that dictate what language you can speak, what language public signage must be in , what schools you can send your kids, basically installing a set of laws that artificially props up its own culture by eliminating all others we are dealing with a suspension of civil liberties and violations of human rights, this is what our op is proudly holding up as virtuous attributes to a modern society and something to be vigorously supported?
Quebec if you dont want to be a proud member of Canada? then do us all a favour and get the hell out and dont let the door hit you in the a,,

Last edited by jambo101; 07-27-2013 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
I would have zero issue if this laws were in areas that were say 90% french but my real big concern is these laws will be all over so even in areas where its 90% english i just don't see how in any way its good.
Jay these laws fly in the face of human rights and are not in the best interests of Francophones or Anglophones alike, in places where its 90% French these laws just imprison the locals in something akin to a cultural backwater, veritable cultural prisoners in the middle of N.America and for that 90% Anglo demographic wherever that might be its just a needless set of draconian language laws that make people feel not welcome,outsiders in their own province and instill an attitude of wanting to move away from it all, which they've done and are doing in great numbers.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Jay these laws fly in the face of human rights and are not in the best interests of Francophones or Anglophones alike, in places where its 90% French these laws just imprison the locals in something akin to a cultural backwater, veritable cultural prisoners in the middle of N.America and for that 90% Anglo demographic wherever that might be its just a needles set of draconian laws that make people feel not welcome,outsiders in their own province and instill an attitude of wanting to move away from it all.
One thing i don't think people look at is the jobs are mega companys going to stay in Quebec with these laws even the feds there is something like 50,000 jobs in Quebec is the Pq really willing to risk giving up those jobs for this law i would hope not.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM

They seem to be playing a very dangerous game with a lot of peoples jobs in the name of linguistic purity,a game that could backfire in a big way.

http://www.theenterprisebulletin.com...-threat-expert

In a nutshell =
Definition of XENOPHOBIA

: fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

Last edited by jambo101; 07-27-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,733,796 times
Quote:

I do wonder if Quebeckers will still "swear an oath to the British queen" if they become independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada