Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Well, it used to be the same for USSR- born Canadians. They too would get an extra grilling at the border even if they had left the USSR at the age of seven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
The few friends i have that have never been to the USA arent much for traveling and dont even have passports, when i ask them why they never go to the USA they just shrug their shoulders and say why would i want to go there?,.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The few friends i have that have never been to the USA arent much for traveling and dont even have passports, when i ask them why they never go to the USA they just shrug their shoulders and say why would i want to go there?,.
Some people just aren't travellers and some don't know what they're missing. My partner was NOT a traveller. A few trips is all it took, now they can't stop planning they next trip, and the next one. I have created a monster !!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
I will confess to having visited very little of the U.S. I've only made a few visits to New England, and those all happened before I finished high school. I've crossed both oceans now, but I've never spent very much time in the U.S. There are lots of places I'd love to see, but with the current exchange rate, it won't be happening anytime soon!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 AM

6 posts, read 4,714 times
I'm sorry but I do not think this is true. I'm a black female and have been to America numerous times and have NEVER been a victim of racial harassment from the border guards. Never. I think that that post is absolute fearmongering.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
I don't see the point in visiting the U.S. Why do so many Canadians go down there when there a plenty of places to see within Canada and other places in the world? I may visit once just to say I've been there and that's it. There really is no need to keep travelling down there, especially with the price of the current loonie.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:48 PM

389 posts, read 276,166 times
I have to admit I have thought about it. I have met some good people from the U.S. through my work. I don't have a passport and sometimes think there might be a place I'd like to visit but then I think hmmm guns and tons of narcissistic self involved self lovers. Um no thanks I'll stay home.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki66 View Post
I have to admit I have thought about it. I have met some good people from the U.S. through my work. I don't have a passport and sometimes think there might be a place I'd like to visit but then I think hmmm guns and tons of narcissistic self involved self lovers. Um no thanks I'll stay home.
Last I checked preejudice based on national origin isn't too cool. Travelling or meeting people of different backgrounds can help overcome this! There's a big world out there.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
I'm going to offer an opinion here.

We spent many years travelling overseas and some occasions touring the U.S. on motorcycles.

Prior to retirement we decided we would RV throughout the north American continent, ALL of it.

We have seen vistas to compare with anything seen anywhere in the world.

People of a country gain reputations they may not deserve due to a country being represented by governments making ill considered decisions that reflect badly.

Not too long ago I remember well the undeserved reputation France had for being arrogant to foreign tourists. We had no occasion while there during those years to feel rudely treated.

Put aside the stuff of rumour and conjecture for a moment and peruse some good tourism publications about any country to get a more non-prejudicial assessment and samples of interesting areas to make your decisions but discarding a whole country for nothing more than perceived failures is drastically shortchanging yourselves of an opportunity to build a cherished memory for your later years.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I don't see the point in visiting the U.S. Why do so many Canadians go down there when there a plenty of places to see within Canada and other places in the world? I may visit once just to say I've been there and that's it. There really is no need to keep travelling down there, especially with the price of the current loonie.
Not taking away from our own nation and I wholeheartedly agree that Canada is worthy of exploring. I don't think most Canadians would think otherwise. On the flip, I've really enjoyed my trips to the U.S.. Particularly the South West. States like N.M, Arizona and California are truly awe inspiring places with such beauty. I love road trips and both Canada and the U.S provide some awesome drives.. Favourite music on and explore.

There's also some fantastic cities down there. NYC is in my top 5 favourite cities in the world and just so many other gems.

I've travelled to many countries.. I'm losing count but i'm happy that I've explored the U.S too.. Every place I've been to has offered different and unique experiences, the U.S is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada