Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times

Advertisements

The passport excuse is pure bologna. People are acting like it cost tens of thousands of dollars for a passport. It's $135 for a 5 year passport , that's $27 a year! People spend more than $135 dollars on more frivolous things every month, I know I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
The passport excuse is pure bologna. People are acting like it cost tens of thousands of dollars for a passport. It's $135 for a 5 year passport , that's $27 a year! People spend more than $135 dollars on more frivolous things every month, I know I do.
In Canada it's $120 for five years, $160 for ten years. So for ten years it's $1.33 per month.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
......not to mention that getting a passport now takes longer, is tougher, and the cost has skyrocketed!

I never really understood why it costs as much as it does just to prove you are a citizen.

It only costs me a stamp to mail in my tax cheques!

Posted with TapaTalk
Take longer? I just got mine renewed and I had within a week. New applications...don't know. Also with then new 10 year passport you can cut your overall cost.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:45 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times
Quote:
For something that ought to be nearly free, I feel it's excessive.

If you have kids that want to participate in a hockey tournament, and you're paying to feed, house, and clothe an entire family, $135 on top of everything else is not that easy to justify.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
For something that ought to be nearly free, I feel it's excessive.

If you have kids that want to participate in a hockey tournament, and you're paying to feed, house, and clothe an entire family, $135 on top of everything else is not that easy to justify.

Posted with TapaTalk
Yes...but if someone needs a passport then they obviously have money to travel. If you are just concerned about entering the US, then you can get a cheaper enhanced driver license at a much lower cost. Children's passports are $57.00
As one of my posts states, if you go for a ten year passport, the cost is $1.33 per month.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Personally, the cost of the passport is very minimal and generally reimbursed by an employer. However, for large families, it does cause them to reconsider trips into Ontario for Niagara Falls.

For me, it has been the cost of airfare. When I can fly into Denver for $150 or Salt Lake City for under $300, Calgary and Edmonton for $450-550 seem much less attractive for a week vacation

Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times
It's really hard for me to believe that a person that can afford to put their child in a hockey league, can't afford $135 (a one time cost that last for 5 years) for a passport.

Hockey sticks costs more than that.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
It's really hard for me to believe that a person that can afford to put their child in a hockey league, can't afford $135 (a one time cost that last for 5 years) for a passport.

Hockey sticks costs more than that.
Yes....when you consider they often have more than one child playing and they have to pay for ice time, equipment, and all the other normal expenses involved in raising a family, they tend to vote to participate in tournaments inside the USA as opposed to crossing the border.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes...but if someone needs a passport then they obviously have money to travel. If you are just concerned about entering the US, then you can get a cheaper enhanced driver license at a much lower cost. Children's passports are $57.00
As one of my posts states, if you go for a ten year passport, the cost is $1.33 per month.
I have never heard of an "enhanced driver's license" before.

Not that it would apply to 12 year olds anyhow, but I'd like to hear details on that.

EDIT: That's OK.....I Googled it in my State and found this under the PENNDOT FAQ:

Does Pennsylvania issue an Enhanced Driver’s License, which can be used to cross the Canadian and Mexican borders?

No.

Link: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-d...n_permit.shtml

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I have never heard of an "enhanced driver's license" before.

Not that it would apply to 12 year olds anyhow, but I'd like to hear details on that.

EDIT: That's OK.....I Googled it in my State and found this under the PENNDOT FAQ:

Does Pennsylvania issue an Enhanced Driver’s License, which can be used to cross the Canadian and Mexican borders?

No.

Link: PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - FAQ - Driver's License, Learner's Permit, Photo ID's

Posted with TapaTalk
I didn't realize you were in the States. Another alternative that you can check into is a NEXUS pass.

Frequently Asked Questions about NEXUS - CBP.gov

I don't travel enough to the US to need one, so I'm not up on all the requirements, but I think you can use this instead of a passport when travelling across land crossings. Of course airlines still require a passport, but you can use NEXUS at airport to bypass passport control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada