Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times

Advertisements

I like the humor AJ but with a Charter of Values the longterm implications of such a bill could become daunting for many, Charter of Quebec Values strikes me as a very arbitrary piece of legislation as its akin to Quebec getting a blank check to do just about anything it wants in the guise of "Quebec values",
What/who's definition of values will be used? who decides what values are implemented ?
If this legislation is passed the wearing of religious attire or symbols in public institutions is immediately contravening the law, do you really think thats where it ends?What other Quebec values will be imposed in the future?
Does Canada conflict with Quebec Values? Obviously Anglos are in conflict with Quebec values, how about visible minorities and Quebecs native population?
A piece of legislation like this Charter of Quebec Values is rife for abuse by those with a penchant for intolerance.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-05-2013 at 01:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Retired former British guys who drive convertible Miatas.
You've just described my cat-sitter, when I'm away. He's a neighbour, a retired veterinarian, originally from the UK, who is a naturalized Canadian. And he drives a convertible Miata.

How did you know?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
[quote]A piece of legislation like this Charter of Quebec Values is rife for abuse by those with a penchant for intolerance.
/QUOTE]

“Free societies...are societies in motion, and with motion comes tension, dissent, friction. Free people strike sparks, and those sparks are the best evidence of freedom's existence.”
― Salman Rushdie

Quebec's been on an interesting road all these years. The 'sparks' are ok. They're the glowing bits of a free society. Question is there's a thin line sometimes between sparks and a conflagration....;-)...

Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM

As just one example why is the Quebec government so obsessed with people who wear turbans to the point where they go to extremes to ban the head piece..?IMO who cares if some one wants to wear a turban or any other head covering for that matter.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I just can't believe this!

Halifax police investigating black statue hanging incident at Leon's store

Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 AM

I saw that on the news, racism can be ugly anywhere it pops up..like these examples
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1357559/

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...190126553.html

Last edited by jambo101; 09-06-2013 at 01:32 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Interesting disparity in news coverage in Google News:

Saguenay mosque: 1500 hits

Halifax furniture store: less than 50 hits

Old 09-06-2013, 08:04 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times
Quote:
I'm originally from Halifax, born and raised. I do believe it (unfortunately).

Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM

72 posts, read 112,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
Its own ridicule by newspapers that make up stories from urban legend?!

I don't think that quote is fair as Quebec is surrounded by anglos and just by their nature, those anglos dilute the existing culture.
You don't have the same dynamic in France. English people don't move there in big numbers to work and live and if they do, they don't/can't dilute the French culture. In Quebec, they can by putting up their own signs, shops, etc. and forcing out the French.
Listen, I'm an American and unfortunetly live on the Italian French Border for family reasons. I just came back from Quebec City . I find the Qubecers have great food, are friendly, clean, orderly and think Anglo Canada and America would do well to emulate them ! Unfortunetly in " Real France " many people are angry, jealous, dirty and too damm proud about nothing. So give me Quebec any day !!! Someone should come in to Dilute the French " Culture " here.....a good cleanseing would help !!!!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 AM

72 posts, read 112,496 times
Quote:
It makes perfect sense when you view it through the prism of the higher objective of all of this: convincing as many people as possible that French Canadians are unworthy/unfit to govern themselves.

It's fundamentally an anti-separatism thing but when there were constitutional talks in the 1990s (Meech, Charlottetetown, distinct society) it was also about demonstrating that the only legislature controlled by francophones in this part of the world could not be entrusted with more powers.

Hence the very broad coverage from media both inside and outside Quebec about every single thing that happens in Quebec that is negative.

If you talk to Canadians outside Quebec it is astonishing how the average person can be well-informed about the goings-on in La Belle Province (at least the negative goings-on), and often blissfully unaware of things happening in their own backyard because the media (and I suppose the cocktail party/BBQ circuit) attention is so disproportionately tilted towards the slightest shenanigan in Quebec.
So walk across the Bridge to Ottawa.....Do you want Quebec to be another France ?? Come over here and take a look at how "Smart" the French are at governing themselves....Your better off as part of Canada !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada