Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As for TJ's I still say there is nothing that they sell that I can't get at a regular grocery store, except that crappy wine.
The TJ's nearest me sells more than just their crappy "Two buck chuck" wine. They have an excellent wine selection, along with craft beers and spirits. They sell all significantly cheaper than most of our liquor stores as well. I am not familiar with BC's liquor laws though, do your grocery stores stock beer, wine and spirits for the most part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 11:18 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The TJ's nearest me sells more than just their crappy "Two buck chuck" wine. They have an excellent wine selection, along with craft beers and spirits. They sell all significantly cheaper than most of our liquor stores as well. I am not familiar with BC's liquor laws though, do your grocery stores stock beer, wine and spirits for the most part?
I've already stated that alcohol is the only thing at TJ's that you can't get in a B.C. grocery store, but this is about groceries, not alcohol.
However nearly every supermarket in my area has either next door or across the street a liquor store which has a better selection than anything I've seen in an Albertson's etc.

Getting back on track. When I walk into a store, a major chain like Albertson's in the U.S. ( my experience is with the westcoast of the U.S. ) I can not get French Brie, Dutch Cheese of any kind, in fact hardly any imported cheese. Organic meats were lacking, they had no organic chicken on my last visit, luncheon meats without sulphites or preservatives let alone preservative free hot dogs for my camping trip. ethnic foods that are plentiful in Canadian supermarkets such as Indian, Thai and Chinese ( I'm talking the imported foods from these countries ), plenty of U.S. Mexican foods, but no imported Mexican food that I have at my local store. Mustards. They only had one imported mustard from France, a standard Dijon. Ask a Canadian how many imported mustards are on a regular Canadian superstore shelf and the answer will be way more than one. German, French, and Canadian made mustards are standard.
Imported cookies as well.
Again I am NOT saying that you can't find these things in the U.S. I am saying these products are not as ubiquitous as they are in Canada. I can't tell you how many times I have asked for something in a regular American supermarket, only to be told " you have to go to a specialty store for that ".

Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've already stated that alcohol is the only thing at TJ's that you can't get in a B.C. grocery store, but this is about groceries, not alcohol.
However nearly every supermarket in my area has either next door or across the street a liquor store which has a better selection than anything I've seen in an Albertson's etc.

Getting back on track. When I walk into a store, a major chain like Albertson's in the U.S. ( my experience is with the westcoast of the U.S. ) I can not get French Brie, Dutch Cheese of any kind, in fact hardly any imported cheese. Organic meats were lacking, they had no organic chicken on my last visit, luncheon meats without sulphites or preservatives let alone preservative free hot dogs for my camping trip. ethnic foods that are plentiful in Canadian supermarkets such as Indian, Thai and Chinese ( I'm talking the imported foods from these countries ), plenty of U.S. Mexican foods, but no imported Mexican food that I have at my local store. Mustards. They only had one imported mustard from France, a standard Dijon. Ask a Canadian how many imported mustards are on a regular Canadian superstore shelf and the answer will be way more than one. German, French, and Canadian made mustards are standard.
Imported cookies as well.
Again I am NOT saying that you can't find these things in the U.S. I am saying these products are not as ubiquitous as they are in Canada. I can't tell you how many times I have asked for something in a regular American supermarket, only to be told " you have to go to a specialty store for that ".
I am just making the point that you have a very limited experience of shopping in "America" as it is limited to the 3 states (portions of them) that on on the same coast as you. There is an entire country filed with grocery stores that have a much better selection than what you stated. Personally I have no idea how shopping is in most states or provinces, but my experience comparing good grocery stores in the places I have lived are about the same selection is present in them for the most part. There may be a couple differences here and there but not the extremes you have experienced.

All I can gather from this is that I am glad I don't live in Oregon as the grocery stores sounds absolutely terrible

Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
I have also noticed mainstream grocery ice cream in canada isn't very good. It is almost like whipped cream like consistency. The more expensive brands are better but they are $$$$$. It is strange because I find milk in Canada to be very tasty. Cows ice cream parlour in PEI has some of the best ice cream I have ever tasted. I have also tried Dairy Cream in Mississauga and it is just average. Where I used to live in the states had really good ice cream.
Have you tried Coaticook Ice cream? It's fabulous! Real cream and milk, instead of milk solids.
Not as good as the home made ice cream I had on the streets of Moscow, but still very, very good.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Have you tried Coaticook Ice cream? It's fabulous! Real cream and milk, instead of milk solids.
Not as good as the home made ice cream I had on the streets of Moscow, but still very, very good.
A lot of people I know swear by Coaticook and we are not even in its base region, but I am not sure how widely distributed it is outside Quebec.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A lot of people I know swear by Coaticook and we are not even in its base region, but I am not sure how widely distributed it is outside Quebec.
If you ever see it, you should buy it. It doesn't look like much, as it doesn't have fancy packaging, but it's amazing ice cream. It's the only one I buy.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
to add to this, most DD have closed as well.
Yes, and God Bless Canada for Tim Hortons !!!

If the non-Canadians have no clue what I am talking about, I live outside of Buffalo NY -- we'll take Timmy's anyday over any other coffee! I just wish it was all over the US!

Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Yes, and God Bless Canada for Tim Hortons !!!

If the non-Canadians have no clue what I am talking about, I live outside of Buffalo NY -- we'll take Timmy's anyday over any other coffee! I just wish it was all over the US!
Tim Hortons isn't what it used to be. Compared to before, it really sucks. Donuts that taste half stale and bitter coffee. I'll pass.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Tim Hortons isn't what it used to be. Compared to before, it really sucks. Donuts that taste half stale and bitter coffee. I'll pass.
Tim's is revolting, ill pass. There are so many other great independently owned coffee shops around. It's a shame disgusting places like Tim's and DD are so popular.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Tim Hortons may have started out as a donut and coffee shop but they've gone way past that these days,Obviously any restaurant cant be all things to all people and i guess if you just want donuts any port in the storm will do, if you want a quality selection of many items besides donuts and coffee Timmies is the place to go, lately i've been enjoying their paninni sandwiches and a bowl of soup..
Tim Hortons - Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada