Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM

11,233 posts, read 16,339,453 times

Advertisements

I know. I was just joking, and I had an oppertunity to use "flatlanders". lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,869,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
are you kidding? He was specifically asking about mountains.
Why can't you just admit there is no mountains anywhere near Toronto. Is it that hard?

GTA or the entire southern Ontario has pretty boring and flat terrain. There is no real mountains. If there were, it would be a much more interesting place.

If you look at the map, southern Ontario pretty much resembles Nebraska or Iowa in the terrain view.
http://goo.gl/maps/s144r
Toronto is still a great and wonderful city. I love Southern Ontario, although I wish it had some mountain or hilly views.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,869,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That is not a mountain. That is just a hump. Eastern North America doesn't have mountains, it has molehills and humps.
It's still nice view and better than nothing. During winter time when the trees lost the leaves it looks more like real mountain.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM

26,757 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
My response was to J4J, who is not originated from this continent. I'm trying to let J4J know that what she thinks are mountains are not really mountains. I trust that all Canadians reading this topic already are fully aware that the mid and eastern parts of the continent have no real mountains.

This definition of mountains (based on the superlative mountains found in western North America) is about the same as a Manhattanite claiming that anything smaller than New York is not a real city.

Generally speaking, the required height for something to be called a mountain is about 300 metres.

By this measure, Mount Royal in downtown Montreal is actually pretty close, as I believe it is around 275 metres.

Places in the Laurentians north of Montreal (Tremblant is 800 or 900 m) and places in the Adirondacks of NY State, Vermont and New Hampshire definitely have mountains.

Mount Washington in NH is actually quite a bit taller than Grouse "Mountain" in (next to?) Vancouver.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
are you kidding? He was specifically asking about mountains.
Why can't you just admit there is no mountains anywhere near Toronto. Is it that hard?

GTA or the entire southern Ontario has pretty boring and flat terrain. There is no real mountains. If there were, it would be a much more interesting place.

If you look at the map, southern Ontario pretty much resembles Nebraska or Iowa in the terrain view.
http://goo.gl/maps/s144r
Rather a belligerent and uncalled for response, i dont remember claiming there were any mountains near Toronto. the original post gave me the idea the op was looking for ski hills
Quote:
Are there any mountains and/or ski resorts in Southern Ontario,
then when it was clarified that it was mountain views he/she was after i suggested the CN tower to get the panoramic views if elevation was what was needed as the CN tower is about the only thing that comes close to a mountain view in Toronto..

Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times
What are you even talking about

New England has mountains for sure. Mount Washington is almost 2000 meters (6000 feet).

According to this list, New England alone has 8 mountain peaks above 5000 feet, 68 above 4000 feet. New England 100 Highest Peaks - Hiking Lists - FranklinSites.com Hiking Guide

I don't know which Eastern North America you are talking about.

On the other hand, the tallest summit in the entire Ontario is 2274 feet (Ishpatina Ridge).

Quote:
Eastern North America doesn't have mountains,

Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This definition of mountains (based on the superlative mountains found in western North America) is about the same as a Manhattanite claiming that anything smaller than New York is not a real city.

Generally speaking, the required height for something to be called a mountain is about 300 metres.

By this measure, Mount Royal in downtown Montreal is actually pretty close, as I believe it is around 275 metres.

Places in the Laurentians north of Montreal (Tremblant is 800 or 900 m) and places in the Adirondacks of NY State, Vermont and New Hampshire definitely have mountains.

Mount Washington in NH is actually quite a bit taller than Grouse "Mountain" in (next to?) Vancouver.
Mount Washington is the tallest peak in the east, it stands 1,917 m, a little under 700 m taller than Grouse. Grouse (1,231 m) is a relatively small mountain by western mountain standards though. The higher peaks in the west all range between 2,300 to 6,200 m and there's more than 200 high peaks like that in the west.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM

333 posts, read 589,093 times
Quote:
Mount Washington is the tallest peak in the east, it stands 1,917 m, a little under 700 m taller than Grouse. Grouse (1,231 m) is a relatively small mountain by western mountain standards though. The higher peaks in the west all range between 2,300 to 6,200 m and there's more than 200 high peaks like that in the west.

Not true.

Highest mountain in the east is Mount Mitchell 6,684 ft (2,037 m) in North Carolina.
There are a number of peaks straddling the NC-TN border over 6,000 ft.

The Torngat Mtns along the Quebec-Labrador border are just under 6,000 ft.
If Baffin Island can be considered "eastern" (as well as northern) it has mtns. up to 7,000 ft

I also want to add, while there are no "mountains" in the Greater Toronto Area,
there is higher ground nearby, up to 540 m along the Bruce Trail,
and good views of Toronto along escarpment edge at Milton and Burlington at over 300 m.

Here are a few of the "big" peaks in northeast/New England and Quebec...

Mont Gosford, Quebec 1,193 m (near Maine border)
Mont Megantic, Quebec 1,102 m (located near Lac Megantic)
Mont Jaques-Cartier 1,268 m (in Quebec's Gaspe region)
Mont Tremblant, Quebec 968 m (3,175 ft)
Mont Sutton, Quebec 968m (same height as Tremblant)

Highest point in NY ....Mount Marcy 1,629 m
Highest point in VT .....Mount Mansfield 1,339 m
Highest point in ME .....Mount Katahdin 1,606 m
Highest point in NH .....Mount Washington 1,917 m
Second highest mtn. in NH ....Mount Adams 1,766 m

Last edited by PzKpfw; 08-20-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,838,777 times
The nearest mountains to Southern Ontario would be across the border in NY state just south of Buffalo where you hit the Allegheny Mountain range. There is some skiing there in Ellicottville, NY. There's also a ski resort near Collingwood, Ontario but those are just small hills.

The Niagara Escarpment creates some scenic hills and nice hiking areas with scenic views. The town of Dundas, Ontario (just north of Hamilton and technically part of the city) has the feel of a valley town as it is situated at the foot of the escarpment. There are beautiful waterfalls in that area, and you can hike the Bruce Trail which runs along the escarpment. As was mentioned before, the escarpment runs up towards Milton. It also heads south through the Niagara Peninsula. It's only something like 250 feet high though, so it's definitely not a mountain.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,054,802 times
Surprisingly nobody suggested just looking at a bloody map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada