Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should burqa/niqab be banned in Canada?
Yes, ban it everywhere in public 26 46.43%
Yeah, but only on government places 8 14.29%
No 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
AJ you keep dancing around the issue but never really come out and say you support or dont support this proposed legislation..
Quote:
This bill will encompass more than just the Muslims and their head gear,it affects any one wearing any form of religious symbolism in a public place.Also in Charter of Values the word values can become a very broad brush depending on whos values and what values are to be applied, while you obviously think criticizing the potential implementation of such legislation is Canada doing its usual ganging up on poor old Quebec routine in reality its ROC speaking out on a piece of legislation that is morally wrong and doesnt exemplify the ideals of the free society we live in here in Canada .
Why do you keep quoting Charles Taylor as if he was the one behind this Charter?

Also you speak with assurance about what is in and we have not yet seen it and do not even know if it will apply to the public sphere (the streets) or not.

Also how can it be racist or xenophobic or whatever it if applies to all religions, not just islam or judaism?

The reactions thus far smack of righteous indignation. As usual.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,212,819 times
And would this apply to the nuns walking around in their clothing?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
The Charles Taylor was just at the end of the quote, i never got around to editing it out.
How can this proposed legislation be racist/Xenophobic? in my opinion if you are going to tell all religions that they can no longer display their religious symbols in public institutions it would strike me as an example of racism and religious intolerance.Maybe you can explain to me why its so vitally important for the Quebec government to ban religious symbols such as turbans,kippah's,niquabs, stars of David and menorahs etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
From what i've read so far it only applies to public institutions like Government offices, hospitals,schools.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,872,129 times
Quote:
They don't cover their faces...

Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Working in a school or a hospital? Probably - assuming the ban was on religious clothing in all public institutions.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
They don't cover their faces...
But the discussion is not about face coverings only. At least not at this point. Though I suspect this is where it will go as you start to delve into the issues it becomes highly complex and almost impossible to draw the line.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Charles Taylor was just at the end of the quote, i never got around to editing it out.
And yet you've used it several times as an example of what "in there", when no one at this point actually knows what's in there.

People are positioning themselves "in anticipation of" but no one really knows for sure. Not even Bernard Drainville probably.

But still, it makes for great "copy" in the news, and awesome discussions around the BBQ in Oakville and Okotoks.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:23 AM

AJ You seem to be implying the Quebec Charter of Values is all some made up boogieman from the Anglo media. This isnt something just pulled out of the air and fabricated solely for the purpose of making Francophones look bad this is potentially some serious human rights violations about to be tabled and as far as the Quebec government is concerned ultimately enacted into law.
Heres a report by the CBC , not known for fabricating stories.
'Charter of Quebec Values' will unite province: Marois - Montreal - CBC News

It doesnt take much imagination to think of where something as vague as a "Charter of Values" can lead and can be used to accomplish just about anything,its basically a blank check for the government to do anything it wants,eg; who defines these supposed values? and by what definition are we attributing to the term values?.
While some of the media are reporting public outrage over the law i'm certainly not seeing it,unless there is substantial resistance to this impending legislation theres a good chance it will pass into law and we'll soon find out just what the separatist government can do with a "Charter of Values".

Last edited by jambo101; 08-26-2013 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:23 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,212,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Working in a school or a hospital? Probably - assuming the ban was on religious clothing in all public institutions.
That's what I'm curious about, I know the nuns still wander around the hospitals here, which are public (I saw a few at St. Marys when I was there for some time). What about the Jewish doctors? My son's doctor at Children's wears a Jewish cap. The schools maybe, I don't think the nuns are at any public schools, only the private ones now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada