Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 PM

152 posts, read 567,019 times

Advertisements

Im an American. I currently am in montreal and opened a bank account at BMO and was issued a debit card. I need to purchase a few items on amazon.ca with my capitalone360 card from the US as i can't use my bmo card for amazon.ca. I also am using this card as oppose to bank of america because there isn't any foreign transaction fees.

Items (2): USD 295.77
Shipping & Handling: USD 0.00
Total before tax: USD 295.77
Estimated GST/HST: USD 14.78
Estimated PST/RST/QST: USD 29.51
Order Total: USD 340.06

When i make purchases in amazon.com in the us, i usually get free shipping or pay a bit if i want it faster. Usually most of the stuff i order doesn't have sale tax unless its electronics.

Im purchasing electronics here. Here, i see that GST/HST is estimated sales tax. But there is also another PST/RST/QST sales tax? Can someone explain this to me? Surprised its this much sales tax for 296 dollars worth of electronic that is just a monitor and a blender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,391 times
What does this have to do with using a Canadian or American credit card? Amazon.ca lets you use whatever card you want, but since you are buying off a Canadian website, you will have to pay Canadian taxes - which are high.

And by the way, BofA does not charge any extra fees for payments in CAD.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
GST is a federal Goods and Services Tax. Sort of like a VAT in Europe. In some provinces, it's been combined with the provincial sales tax to be called HST or Harmonized Sales Tax

PST is Provincial sales tax another tax collected by the province where they don't have HST, or Alberta, which has no PST.

So yes, you pay both. In the US you only avoid state sales taxes if Amazon doesn't have operations in your state.

I don't know if Super Saver shipping is available in Canada.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
I have a suggestion that might make things easier... use a shipping company in New York near the border. You'll have to ask around to find one that will receive and hold parcels for you. (check the link below)

I live in Ontario on a border town with Michigan. When I order on Amazon.com (I LOVE IT!), I pay with my Canadian credit card, but don't have it shipped to my address in Ontario. I have my order shipped to a shipping company in Michigan. They charge a small fee ($4.00) per parcel to use their address. When you fill out the forms on Amazon, where it says where to ship the order put YOUR name on the order, but put care/of the address of whatever shipping company you use, and your order will be sent there. This link should help you Pick up at US border | Better Value in Dollar

We just go over into Michigan and pick up my order when it is in (the shipping company notifies me by email) Check how much you are allowed to bring back to Canada when you are in the US for over 48 hours. We are allowed $800 between Michigan/Ontario.

If we are just over in Michigan for a few hours, we pick up our order, claim it and pay the taxes at the border.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,133,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
Im purchasing electronics here. Here, i see that GST/HST is estimated sales tax. But there is also another PST/RST/QST sales tax? Can someone explain this to me? Surprised its this much sales tax for 296 dollars worth of electronic that is just a monitor and a blender.
mikeyyc's answer is right but to be specific regarding your purchase... in Quebec:

GST (Federal) = 5% -> 5%*295.77 = 14.78
QST = 9.5%, applies on amount including GST -> 9.5%*(295.77+14.78) = 29.51

Sales taxes are high here, that's just how it is.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I have a suggestion that might make things easier... use a shipping company in New York near the border. You'll have to ask around to find one that will receive and hold parcels for you. (check the link below)
The OP is an American in Canada on a visitor's visa. He is asking about using a US credit card to buy from amazon.ca and have the goods shipped to his Canadian address -and is stunned by the high Quebec tax rates.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:15 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The OP is an American in Canada on a visitor's visa. He is asking about using a US credit card to buy from amazon.ca and have the goods shipped to his Canadian address -and is stunned by the high Quebec tax rates.
Yes, but if he ships it to an address in New York, goes over for x? number of nights, he can bring back the goods tax free (duty free). We in Ontario, are allowed up to $800 duty free, if we stay in the states for 48 hours or more.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 AM

984 posts, read 2,710,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, but if he ships it to an address in New York, goes over for x? number of nights, he can bring back the goods tax free (duty free). We in Ontario, are allowed up to $800 duty free, if we stay in the states for 48 hours or more.
He doesn't have a car. So to accomplish this and stay in a hotel in NY for a couple nights starts costing a lot more than any savings he might accomplish over just shipping it to Montreal

Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 AM

111 posts, read 166,937 times
Amazon charges tax in NY (close to 9%). If he gets it shipped to NY, all he would save is about 6% or $18. Not worth the drive to NY unless he can get it much cheaper at a U.S. store.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 PM

152 posts, read 567,019 times
I got another quick question. Whether i purchase from amazon.ca or newegg.ca, i will incur both the same taxes correct? I'm 100 percent sure but just want to confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada