U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

1,901 posts, read 2,442,152 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere in Canada where the hottest month has an average daily high above 30°? Canada is not a beachy place. Even where you would think would have nice beaches, like B.C., the weather is just too cool and cloudy to really enjoy a long beach season. I can't think of anywhere on either of our coasts, the Great Lakes or the St Lawrence or Ottawa Rivers, where it would be hot and sunny enough to swim in the water and enjoy the beach for more than a couple of weeks a year, at least relative to what people would consider "beach weather" in places like parts of Southern Europe or Latin America. In fact, most of our swimmable areas, if they had the same amount of rainfall as their driest summer month for 12 months of the year, they would be technically a rainforest climate. I know the Okanagan Valley does, in general, have the hottest summers in Canada, but I'm talking about a specific place with a weather station. Especially somewhere with a beach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 PM

25,730 posts, read 33,937,810 times
The hottest summers are in the extreme southern interior of BC, in Osoyoos and environs. There are lake beaches all over the region BTW.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

1,901 posts, read 2,442,152 times
I actually swam in the lake at Osoyoos once. I don't know why it didn't cross my mind. Is there anywhere in Ontario with noteably dry summers?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,830,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I know the Okanagan Valley does, in general, have the hottest summers in Canada, but I'm talking about a specific place with a weather station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The hottest summers are in the extreme southern interior of BC, in Osoyoos and environs. There are lake beaches all over the region BTW.
Osoyoos has a weather station, which can be viewed here.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:26 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,835 times
Besides well known champion Osoyoos,
other BC interior places with hot summers are,
Thompson River/Fraser Canyon area: Spences Bridge, Lillooet, Ash-croft (drier than Okanagan)
These towns all give Osoyoos are run for it's money in the hottest Canadian summer sweepstakes.

Some areas of extreme southern Ontario can even "feel" hotter (more uncomfortable) due to higher humidity. Even though average day time highs are couple of degrees cooler.
Also the average night time "lows" are much warmer in SW Ontario than anywhere in BC,
resulting in slightly higher average summer temps.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:24 AM

13,189 posts, read 11,703,072 times
Lytton, B.C. (in the Fraser Canyon) gives Osoyoos a run for its money too and is often the #1 hot spot for all of Canada. But while Lytton is the junction of 2 rivers it doesn't have a lot of beaches except for those rocky beaches on the river shorelines.

Lytton, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Osoyoos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nce_Lytton.JPG
At Lytton, the confluence of the Fraser and Thompson rivers showing the mixing of the two different coloured waters. Botanie Mountain right background, Lillooet Ranges at left.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:25 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,939,411 times
Yeah Lytton and Osoyoos but it never feels as hot as it does here in Montreal (I haven't been to Ontario to compare). My first summer in Montreal took me by shock, despite spending every summer in Osoyoos before that!

Old 09-21-2013, 01:15 PM

17,219 posts, read 12,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Yeah Lytton and Osoyoos but it never feels as hot as it does here in Montreal (I haven't been to Ontario to compare). My first summer in Montreal took me by shock, despite spending every summer in Osoyoos before that!
It's the humidity.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:35 PM

11,260 posts, read 15,324,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Try spending a summer in Windsor. lol

Old 09-22-2013, 06:24 AM

196 posts, read 398,624 times
The Prairies also do get very hot and dry during the summer.

Look up Grand Beach in Manitoba. On Lake Winnipeg, it was rated one of the top 5 beaches in North America a few years back by some magazine. Tons of lakes and beaches here.

Actually, without the moderating influence of any large body of water, I think Manitoba has the coldest winters and hottest summers of any Southern part of Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada