Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:58 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvaus View Post

The goal line posts were part of the original design when the idea behind the game was to march down the field to set up a field goal, which yielded more points than a touchdown - until the rules were changed in the late 19th century.

The goal line posts are also related to the origins of gridiron football, which are in rugby. I may be wrong but I have always thought the CFL is a bit closer to those rugby origins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,419,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I have no issues with Toronto pursuing an NFL team, that would be fantastic actually. I really hope it doesnt come at the expense of the Buffalo Bills. They have one of the most loyal ownership teams and fan bases in the entire league and they really know their football. As a Dolphins fan I have no issues ragging on the Bills, but you have to respect the franchise they have built.
You are right. The Buffalo fans and their 93 year old owner want the team to stay. The Fans and players hate the idea of the team moving to Toronto. They even hate playing the one-game-per-season (Bills in Toronto) at the Rogers Center. This statement from Bills center Eric Wood sums it up:
"I think they started it hoping that we'd have a lot of fan support in Toronto. We have none. I mean, it's a crucial third down for them in the first quarter, and they're running just regular snap count, where I don't care if we have a half-filled Ralph Wilson Stadium, they don't do that."

That said, the Buffalo Bills extended their contract to play one home game in Toronto till 2017. Rogers Media pays the Bills franchise close to $50 million per game! And we all know, at the end of the day, the NFL is all about money, and Buffalo is having a hard time sustaining an NFL team.

There are now talks about creating a franchise in London, England!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,321,739 times
What's the attendance like at a CFL game? I think most NFL games have about 70K to 80K per game.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,116,469 times
As an American, and a lifetime nfl fan, I also occasionally will watch the cfl on nbc sports or espn.

I agree with other posters that the larger cfl fields place greater emphasis on speed as a basis for success.

I enjoy watching the cfl, but I do feel the three downs contributes to a lot of punting, and sometimes makes the game a little inconsistent.

I dont like the single points awarded to punts not returned out of the end zone.

I like the quality of the Canadian based telecasts-----they are of high quality, very professional, and and their broadcasters are knowledgeable.

There is plenty of room for the both the nfl and cfl. Being a football fan, I enjoy watching cfl games-----they have always had a lot of talent that have transitioned to the nfl.

Why two teams with the name Roughriders? Saskatchewan Roughriders remind me of the Packers in the nfl-----a smaller city supporting a pro football team with ardent fans and support. Although the city of Saskatoon is a little larger than the Green Bay, the similarites are striking.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 AM

51 posts, read 95,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post

Why two teams with the name Roughriders? Saskatchewan Roughriders remind me of the Packers in the nfl-----a smaller city supporting a pro football team with ardent fans and support. Although the city of Saskatoon is a little larger than the Green Bay, the similarites are striking.
To my prior post, and the mention of popularity based on how many other pro teams, I have noticed how popular the Saskatchewan Roughriders are. BTW, they play in Regina, SK (about the same size as Saskatoon), but the Packers analogy is still a good one (although it is the Eskimos that share the Packers colors!).

And there have not been two "*rider" teams in the league since 1996, and the new Ottawa team is known as the RedBlacks. However, the argument was that Sask. and Ottawa had different names, one being the "Roughriders", the other the "Rough Riders"

Last edited by jdvaus; 10-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: corrected typo

Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
What's the attendance like at a CFL game? I think most NFL games have about 70K to 80K per game.
Average is about 30,000, but it can go as low as 20,000 and as high as 60-70,000

Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvaus View Post
To my prior post, and the mention of popularity based on how many other pro teams, I have noticed how popular the Saskatchewan Roughriders are. BTW, they play in Regina, SK (about the same size as Saskatoon), but the Packers analogy is still a good one (although it is the Eskimos that share the Packers colors!).

And there have not been two "*rider" teams in the league since 1996, and the new Ottawa team is known as the RedBlacks. However, the argument was that Sask. and Ottawa had different names, one being the "Roughriders", the other the "Rough Riders"
Also, there were at one time separate leagues in the east and the west, each with a ''Riders" team. When the two leagues merged to form the CFL in the mid-1900s, neither wanted to give up their name.

It's as if the CFL and NFL merged today allowed both Lions clubs to keep their names (Detroit and BC).

Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You are right. The Buffalo fans and their 93 year old owner want the team to stay. The Fans and players hate the idea of the team moving to Toronto. They even hate playing the one-game-per-season (Bills in Toronto) at the Rogers Center. This statement from Bills center Eric Wood sums it up:
"I think they started it hoping that we'd have a lot of fan support in Toronto. We have none. I mean, it's a crucial third down for them in the first quarter, and they're running just regular snap count, where I don't care if we have a half-filled Ralph Wilson Stadium, they don't do that."

That said, the Buffalo Bills extended their contract to play one home game in Toronto till 2017. Rogers Media pays the Bills franchise close to $50 million per game! And we all know, at the end of the day, the NFL is all about money, and Buffalo is having a hard time sustaining an NFL team.

There are now talks about creating a franchise in London, England!
Now how would travel back and forth work for that?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:14 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,419,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
The logistics would be a nightmare for the players. But since when did NFL care about the players? It's all about the money!

Next year, there will be three NFL games in London!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Boston-London and New York-London are longer than flights to the west coast, but not really by that much (an hour or so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada