Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,123 times

Advertisements

Gasoline is $1.229/L here at just about every station... $1.40/L??? Yup, BC stands for "Bring Cash."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,753 times
I have a more general question about the relative cost of living, and how it's hard to make a true apples-to-apples comparison.

Right now I live in the Boston area and I'm trying to gague what I would need to earn to have a similar living standard if I moved to the Toronto or Ottawa areas. I realize TO is generally more expensive that Ottawa, but I'm looking for a general comparison.

I know that taxes are lower in the US, but if you figure in healthcare insurance which is usually tied to your job as just another tax, it might come closer to evening out. I don't know how much is propaganda, but there are stories of how bad the Canadian healthcare system is in the US, and some say that "anyone who can afford it gets private insurance." BS, or any truth to that?

Gas and cars are generally more expensive in Canada, but would I need to retro-fit my (relatively new) US car to show kms or any emissions modifications?

There are lots of cost-of-living comparisons between US cities, but I'm having a hard time finding comparisons for standard things like groceries, heating costs, etc.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luidspreker View Post
I know that taxes are lower in the US, but if you figure in healthcare insurance which is usually tied to your job as just another tax, it might come closer to evening out. I don't know how much is propaganda, but there are stories of how bad the Canadian healthcare system is in the US, and some say that "anyone who can afford it gets private insurance." BS, or any truth to that?
There are few real options for private healthcare in Canada, and in many cases it may actually be illegal to offer private care (that you charge extra for) outside of the public system.

Most people in Canada (and they would be quite rare) who try to go around the Canadian public system are going to the U.S. for private care rather that trying to find it in Canada.

Quote:
Gas and cars are generally more expensive in Canada, but would I need to retro-fit my (relatively new) US car to show kms or any emissions modifications?
Unlikely there would be any issues with this. You will likely have to fill out some paperwork to import your car, but I wouldn't really expect any adjustments would be needed to your vehicle (certainly not for kms and very unlikely for pollution). Most cars are essentially the same creature on both sides of the border.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Luidspreker:
As mentioned above, vehicles are pretty much outfitted to the standard on both sides of the border now. The most common issues might be in having a speedometer only in mph or a lack of daytime running lights.

You can find all the pertinent information on vehicle importation at Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 AM

15 posts, read 89,858 times
Great Advice.

Thank you.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,436 times
Quote:
I have a more general question about the relative cost of living, and how it's hard to make a true apples-to-apples comparison.

Right now I live in the Boston area and I'm trying to gague what I would need to earn to have a similar living standard if I moved to the Toronto or Ottawa areas. I realize TO is generally more expensive that Ottawa, but I'm looking for a general comparison.

There are lots of cost-of-living comparisons between US cities, but I'm having a hard time finding comparisons for standard things like groceries, heating costs, etc.

Thanks!
Luidspreker - I am in a very similar situation - Just received a job offer from a Missi Based firm and I need to comparatively assess the cost of living in Missi/Toronto vs. Boston Suburbs. Any chance I can contact you privately and we can share info?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbenson View Post
Luidspreker - I am in a very similar situation - Just received a job offer from a Missi Based firm and I need to comparatively assess the cost of living in Missi/Toronto vs. Boston Suburbs. Any chance I can contact you privately and we can share info?

The last activity on the member's account was Sept 3, but you could try contacting them through the Direct Message system which is accessed through the link in the upper right of the screen directly below your user name.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,463 times
Things that are cheaper in Canada:

Healthcare (hard to quantify as the system is totally different)
Education (tuition at top Canadian universities is half or less than in the corresponding US universities, most of which are private and charges $40,000+ a year).
Rent: My impresson is that rent is a bit lower in Canadian cities

Things that are more expensive in Canada (from my personal experience)

Housing (places with similar economic size)
Car insurance 30-100% higher depending on area
Gas 20-25% higher
Flights/trains/car renting: 50-200% higher
Skincare products 30-100% higher for identical products (My girlfriend found a French Brand cream at $40 in Canada versus $22 in the US, some may be less striking)
Grocery/restaurants: somewhat higher
Clothing 10%-30% higher for identical outfit
Public transportation 30% higher (Toronto day pass $9, monthly $109, Chicago $5.75 and $86).
phone services: 50% to unlimited (Most US cellphone plans don't charge extra long distance fees, while Canadian carriers charges $$$)

In general, if you have good employer health insurance and you don't plan to send your kids to the Ivy Leaugue, cost of living is considerably lower in the US (i'd estimate 30-40%) than in a corresponding Canadian city. However, if factor in health and education, that may not be so much a difference.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:52 PM

454 posts, read 748,844 times
For a cheaper flight, you can fly from Buffalo airport. Coach Canada has a direct bus to the airport from Toronto

http://www.coachcanada.com/coachcana...persist=false&

[Note: I have never done this before and you might want to buy an afternoon ticket for your outbound flight and get an earlier time for your inbound flight: The website says it takes about 2 and half hours]

You can also use American travel websites like expedia; they usually link you up with US airlines which are cheaper.

Only the very rich pay full price at the Ivies or similar rank universities; they have the most generous financial aid package besides cooper union, Berea, etc. Some states also have good universities like University of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens, Waterloo, and they cost less than some of the Canadian schools. EX Virginia, California, Texas, North Carolina, etc.

A lot of students take on big debt to go to a more "prestigious" school even though the undergraduate education they will receive at their state school is comparable to the more "prestigious" schools.

Last edited by dmnari; 10-02-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,059 times
I would like to get some helf from anyone who has lived both in Canada and US. I recently received an offer to work in (near) Ontario, Canada with the US Government (US Army) although interesting to me, seems a lot of cosniderations is needed. I live in Monterey, CA. Here is a little expensice but my pay is a little better. Can anyone shine a little light on me? Cost of living (food, rent, schools, etc) I have 2 small children and 2 cars and a Harley. We spend here about $1700 in rent (1500 sq ft), $800 in food, $200 in utilities, $700 in private school (CA public SD sucks..) $300 in gas/fuel, $200-300 in state income tax, $300 health care + $100 Copay, $50 internet, $100 cell, $100 direct TV, all monthly bills.
Any one care to respond? Please use my email too [email]mauriceusa@yahoo.com[/email].

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada