Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goast24 View Post
And what is to be incapacitated? What do they do to see if you are ok or if you are incapacitated?
Are you going to drunkenly walk in front of a bus? Pick a fight and get stabbed? Then you'll get tossed in the tank.

If you want to sing the Canadian anthem and get your picture taken with a Mountie when you struggle to stand, you'll probably be just fine You have to be a real dick or unable to care for yourself to actually get taken in for DIP (drunk in public). This of course, is on the assumption you not driving, obviously that is a different game.

I've never seen someone hauled in who wasn't able to function or was not a complete jerk. A happy drunk is one that will be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 11:41 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
It makes no sense to me.. How are bars allowed to sell alcoholic beverages if I cant be intoxicated on the streets? How do they expect me to go home? Flying??
Uuuh; would a question at this point be worth your answering? Is it your habit to only go to bars to get chit faced? Going to any bar as a visitor to any country to have any worth while type of social intercourse would require you to maintain at least the abilty speak in coherent sentences, would it not?

Follow-up question: IF all you're going to a bar for is for the purpose of getting drunk and staggering home, why not simply eliminate the bar part and buy a 40 oz for your room and get blotto there instead, thusly saving yourself the cost of taxi fare and possible embarrassment?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
To be honest, this is a bit embarrassing, I'm 24 and Canadian and am only just now learning from this thread that it's illegal to just be drunk in public. I'm on OPs side, even if it's not enforced where they apply it to everyone, it's insane to have a law like that on the books, totally outrageous, not sure why people don't see that. If drunk people are obstructing traffic or starting fights they should be brought in on that, otherwise what's to stop regular people from being harassed as they try and exit bars to go wherever they're going to go?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I read on the internet that there is a law in Canada that alcoholic beverages cant be sold after 2am and that we cant drink on the street. Also, ive heard that, in your country, if you walk on the street being very drunk and a cop see it, he can take you to a delegacy or arrest you or something like that. Is it true? Is there any other thing you consider important for me to know? Thank you!
and you don't think some of these laws exist in America? there are a lot of states, CA being one of them where liquor isn't served after 2am and being drunk in public is you can be arrested, as well as having an open container of booze while walking down the street is illegal.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

Here we can do whatever we want except driving.
Where is 'here'?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you don't think some of these laws exist in America? there are a lot of states, CA being one of them where liquor isn't served after 2am and being drunk in public is you can be arrested, as well as having an open container of booze while walking down the street is illegal.
Why would you bring up America, another country that was affected be the Protestant Temperance movement? OP is obviously from a country with a different heritage.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:57 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
See, the liquor laws even make otherwise generous people look like bad dinner guests!
Story of my life. I try to be nice but Ontario won't let me!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 35,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Are you going to drunkenly walk in front of a bus? Pick a fight and get stabbed? Then you'll get tossed in the tank.

If you want to sing the Canadian anthem and get your picture taken with a Mountie when you struggle to stand, you'll probably be just fine You have to be a real dick or unable to care for yourself to actually get taken in for DIP (drunk in public). This of course, is on the assumption you not driving, obviously that is a different game.

I've never seen someone hauled in who wasn't able to function or was not a complete jerk. A happy drunk is one that will be ignored.
Im not talking about drink and drive, of course. I was thinking about something like this: a person that had too much after a night out was walking home and a cop see it. Will the cop stop and do something about it? Because it sounds crazy to me, the guy is doing NOTHING, he just had a lot. Beyond that, what happens if an officer stops you? What is this drunk tank? You just have to pay a fine or you are arrested or something worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuh; would a question at this point be worth your answering? Is it your habit to only go to bars to get chit faced? Going to any bar as a visitor to any country to have any worth while type of social intercourse would require you to maintain at least the abilty speak in coherent sentences, would it not?

Follow-up question: IF all you're going to a bar for is for the purpose of getting drunk and staggering home, why not simply eliminate the bar part and buy a 40 oz for your room and get blotto there instead, thusly saving yourself the cost of taxi fare and possible embarrassment?
You got me wrong, man. The problem is: how much can I drink not to be considered intoxicated? This is relative. If I am walking home after drinking some beers, can I be considered drunk?? Can they take me to drunk tank or anything?
And beoynd that, whats is the problem to be drunk if I am not doing anything to bother people around me? If I scream, pick a fight, bother people or anything like that, I should be arrested but not for being drunk, I should be arrested for what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
To be honest, this is a bit embarrassing, I'm 24 and Canadian and am only just now learning from this thread that it's illegal to just be drunk in public. I'm on OPs side, even if it's not enforced where they apply it to everyone, it's insane to have a law like that on the books, totally outrageous, not sure why people don't see that. If drunk people are obstructing traffic or starting fights they should be brought in on that, otherwise what's to stop regular people from being harassed as they try and exit bars to go wherever they're going to go?
Exactly. You are responsible for what you do. If you obstruct traffic, cops should go after you but not for the fact that you are intoxicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Where is 'here'?

Im from Brazil. Can you imagine carnival without people drinking on the streets? hahaha

Old 09-27-2013, 03:29 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
Quote:
I agree. Here we can do whatever we want except driving.

Where is "HERE"? There are plenty of places in the U.S. with super ridiculous alcohol laws.
- places where you cannot purchase alcohol after 9:00 PM (yes, 9:00 pm everyday!)
- places where you cannot get a drink on Sundays
etc ....

Old 09-27-2013, 03:31 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
Quote:
Im from Brazil. Can you imagine carnival without people drinking on the streets? hahaha
From what I have heard, there are NO laws in Brazil ... forget alcohol laws ..

As long as you are not creating a ruckus while walking home "drunk" - no cop will do anything to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada