Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,701 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a Yank - I can tell you my country is contending with a literal invasion of illegal aliens. And we have some home grown lunatics who think it is OK. Why would a wonderful country like Canada want to take that on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM

272 posts, read 784,671 times
Default Canada through the looking glass.....

I've always loved Canada, and the Canadians. I lived in the Yukon for awhile and walked all over the "bush"...
In many ways Canada [at least rural Canada] reminds me of the way the U.S. USED to be....But I don't blame the Canadians one bit for not wanting to be like the U.S. One could cry all day that the U.S. is a victim of it's own history...or it's own stupidity....lots of nations might be plastered with that kind of label but it would get 'us' nowhere to fall into that thinking and behavior....Perhaps there are things we could learn from each other. I used to think I knew how to live in the bush...but got a REAL education when I went to the Yukon....[I'd never been at the bottom of a biological food chain before and that WAS a wake-up call for sure!]
Still making comparisons between the two nations is very difficult at best. Firstly, the population difference is staggering....300 million vs. 30 million....no rational comparison there at all. The huge problems and burdens placed on a nation with that kind of population are almost insurmountable...Sometimes it's a wonder that we [the U.S.] don't fall totally into unrecoverable chaos because of the sheer numbers of dissimilar people running about........
Honestly I can see why Canada would not want any of the U.S. under it's umbrella....Perhaps the states of the inter-mountain west...but those states are changing rapidly [for the worse in my estimation] and may not be worth having....The U.S. would almost certainly be better off if our population was of a more manageable size....like Canada's but that is NOT going to happen.
Still and all...I love the U.S. but wish that we could get past ourselves sometimes.....and "let America BE America..." [L. Hughes]
It is fun [?] to consider what it might be like if the U.S. Canada and Mexico were to somehow 'BE' one 'country'....but I'd say that was highly unlikely [at least for many many lifetimes]......to be a tri-lingual nation...with a Constitution and Bill of Rights??? Who knows...Look at Europe...Who would have believed that Germany and France would sign on to a European Union with open borders and a common currency......a long LONG way from BENELUX.....for sure....

At any rate...best of luck to my Canadian friends....

Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,701 times
Coffee Mate you are 100% correct. Keep in mind however France and Germany are both first world nations with rule of law - so they could work an open borders EU arrangement.

Canada and the US are both first world nations with rule of law. However Mexico is not. They are solidly third world. And though they have progressed somewhat in recent years - they still have "strongman" rule with corruption, extreme poverty and violent crime rampant. And these problems are literally flowing into the US. I too love the US and watching helplessly as this happens is most disconcerting. Thus far, Canada as a separate sovereign nation is spared.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
- they still have "strongman" rule with corruption, extreme poverty and violent crime rampant.

Yeah, that example is just toooo easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada