Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times

Advertisements

Do you remember Canada as more religious, say 20 or 25 years ago, than now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 PM

78 posts, read 274,876 times
Overall the same although Quebec has become more secular since the Quiet Revolution in the 70s.

Religion in the western world has slightly decline (not necessary higher rate of atheism) - just that less people go to church.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Do you remember Canada as more religious, say 20 or 25 years ago, than now?
Much more religious.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
I wouldn't say Canada is less religous now. Christianity might be declining but other religions are certainly not. The South Asian community (the largest visible minority in Canada, almost half) is growing and they are very religous. Islam, Hinduism and sikhism are steadily growing in Canada and if current imigration patterns stay the same, those religions might be the majority in the next 20 years. Atleast in major cities, its almost like that now in some places.

For some people their religions is also their cultural, ethnic and in some cases even political identity. People don't give that up very easily. I don't see certain communities becoming secular anytime soon. And if we look at old south Asian communities in other regions of the world, they remain very reglious even after many generations, even centuries.

Im not saying its a bad thing, Im not saying its a good thing. All im saying is the Religion is alive and well and growing in Canada. It is what it is.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 09-29-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,721,719 times
More people are declaring to be of no religion, and the percentage that are Christian or Jewish has gone down. However a lot of socially conservative immigrants have come since then, and the number of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs etc. has gone up significantly. The influx of Filipinos has at least served to offset if not reverse the number of religious Catholics. Overall, it's probably about the same.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
What do you mean by "religious"? I can think of a few answers.

-- Attendance at religious services at a house of worship on a weekly basis? Probably more 20 years ago.

-- People attempting to proselytize, to sell their faith to others? Probably about the same.

-- Religion's influence on politics and current affairs? Probably about the same (i.e. little to none).

Old 09-30-2013, 07:52 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I would tend to say that overall things are about the same, but there have been shifts within the various population groups.

The total number of Canadians who regularly attend religious services may not have dropped that much, but who is going and to what kind of service has changed fairly dramatically.

Religious practice by native-born Canadians (your traditional English Canadians and French Canadians) has dropped significantly. This has had a big effect on the denominations that these groups have traditionally been a part of: Protestant/United/Anglican/Catholic for English Canadians and Catholic for French Canadians.

The Catholic church has still been able to maintain itself reasonably well because many of the immigrant groups to Canada tend to be Catholic and continue to practice. Also some more established allophone groups in Canada (Italian, Portuguese, etc.) tend to not abandon religion as quickly as English and French Canadians do.

So the non-Catholic anglo religious groups like United, Anglican, etc. are in the toughest position from what I observe.

Of course, the biggest and most visible increases are with non-Christian religions such as Islam and a few others.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM

196 posts, read 424,476 times
Funny that I was going to originally post that religion has been declining. However, UrbanLuis is correct in their assessment that as the country's ethnicity changes, a large number of immigrants are still practicing their faith.

And the more I thought about it, I can't really say that I think Christianity is declining either. I think it has changed substantively though. Whereas the majority of Christians kept their Protestant or Catholic Churches reasonably busy on Sundays, they have subsequently flocked to these evangelical mega-churches that have sprung up in the last 10 years or so.

In fact, one could even think that Christianity is growing due to the rise of the evangelical movement. They present a compelling model in our society, as the "wealth gospel" espoused by many of them allows people to reconcile their materialistic lifestyle with faith. God wants you to be successful and wealthy (just like many of the pastors), regardless of if that happens to match the message delivered in the Bible.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Funny that I was going to originally post that religion has been declining. However, UrbanLuis is correct in their assessment that as the country's ethnicity changes, a large number of immigrants are still practicing their faith.

And the more I thought about it, I can't really say that I think Christianity is declining either. I think it has changed substantively though. Whereas the majority of Christians kept their Protestant or Catholic Churches reasonably busy on Sundays, they have subsequently flocked to these evangelical mega-churches that have sprung up in the last 10 years or so.

In fact, one could even think that Christianity is growing due to the rise of the evangelical movement. They present a compelling model in our society, as the "wealth gospel" espoused by many of them allows people to reconcile their materialistic lifestyle with faith. God wants you to be successful and wealthy (just like many of the pastors), regardless of if that happens to match the message delivered in the Bible.
Good points! I have noticed this too.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,829 times
This Stats Canada article sums it up pretty well.

96F0030XIE2001015 - Religions in Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada